How are your 7 month olds sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is KILLING me. For the past few weeks we've been doing this hourly waking thing and I am at my breaking point. He had his first tooth finally pop through last weekend so I attributed the horrible sleeping to that (even though he slept AMAZING while running that fever). Now he's fever-free and happy as a clam but sleeping like poo. I'm so utterly exhausted and am just not being a good mom at all. I'm losing my patience and losing my ability to function. Please tell me this is a phase that's going to last 2 seconds because I honestly don't think I can take much more of this. I wonder how one gets endless energy like a 7 month old lol.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Sorry, no help, my 7 mo is a crappy sleeper too. First took came through last week, but I think the other is on the verge. The only thing that helps is that she sleeps curled up next to me with my shirt pulled down, so I think I sleep through a lot of her wakings. Good luck! You're not alone!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM

We've been going back and forth between really terrible sleep and great sleep (2 wakings/night). We are finding better sleep with keeping him in the crib. We're kind of a mix and match sleeping family--sometimes we cosleep, sometimes he's in the crib. He gets his best sleep in the crib--although, occasionally, he will also sleep well in bed with us. I haven't figured out what the magic is. I just try to accept whatever happens. I did recently drop his third nap--which means he's awake for a LONG time in the afternoon/early evening, but I think it might be helping. I'm not sure.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM

My son will be 8 months in a week. He slept pretty well until about 4 months, and then it all went to pieces - he would regularly get up around 12 or 1 am and stay up for hours. But just the last week or so, he's getting better - he still gets up to eat 3-4 times, but he goes right back to sleep! (knock on wood!) So maybe around 8 months is when it starts to turn around for the better? Not sure if this is a typical pattern or just my son... but hopefully your baby will sleep better soon too. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM

When my 7 mo LO was 6 mo. old and not going to bed until 10p and waking constantly I found out a bunch of same age babies in a baby group were sleeping from 7p to 7a. I was SHOCKED. We can't nurse so it was especially hellish to be feeding all night long.

We started putting him down earlier and stopped feeding him every time he woke up. Just put the paci back in. Now maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe he just got ready to sleep longer at that time, but he started sleeping much better. If he absolutely wakes up and will not go back down with paci we do still feed him, and that's probably every other night. But it's only once a night, and not a full feeding. And he goes down again after he eats a couple ounces. Before I was assuming he was hungry and feeding him every 2-3 hours. I was trying to get more food in him when he woke thinking it'd give me more sleep before he woke up again.

He started eating more during the day and especially in the evening before bed. He's still gaining weight.

Since your nursing one thing that might be happening is reverse cycling. If you're away from baby during the day they sometimes decide to get their nutrition and extra mommy time by nursing a lot at night. A mom who's dealing with this might chime in but from what I've read they do like PP and keep breast available and try to sleep through LOs wakings and nursings.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm glad to know we're not alone lol. I was also feeding him everytime he roused but I've stopped doing that. Around 1 ish last night I decided he was going to go 3 hours unless he really acted hungry and as long as I held him and shh'd him he went right back to sleep and actually slept a 2 1/2 stretch. I'm pretty much a sahm during the day. I'm home everday with him but 3 nights a week I work 12 hour shifts. I was hoping he'd reverse cycle only during the day but apparently that's not the case lol. He's also eating a little solids here and there so I don't think hunger is the problem. I think he just doesn't know how to soothe himself back to sleep once he's roused. We have only napped in the crib during the day (which cuts his usually 2 hr naps down to 45 min- 1 hr). I haven't tried him in the crib at night because honestly I'm lazy lol. I have noticed that whenever I move in bed even if its just a slight movement, he also moves. So I am pretty sure he's a very light sleeper and he's also very aware that I'm in bed with him. I think I'm going to really buckle down on our bedtime routine to make it predictable and see what that does for a week or 2 then maybe we'll see if sleeping in his own space works. I really like cosleeping though so I'm hoping we just need a better routine.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Sleep went suddenly downhill right at 7 months. Now a 3 hour stretch is the most that ever happens (at 4 months, it was at least 6, often 7 or 8, and occasionally 10). I knew it would happen, though, as this seems to be the pattern with co-sleeping, based on my previous experience and other people I know. At least I will truly appreciate it when I get more sleep 2 years from now!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM

My baby's only 5 months, so I can't give any lived advice, but according to the book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution, babies' circadian rhythms normalize around 10 months on average. After that, barring the developmental interruptions, maybe sleep can get easier (assuming the baby has a good environment for sleeping) for you.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok well I feel like a doofus. Another bottom tooth popped through today (felt it when trying to nurse him down for a nap). Apparently he's just decided to get all of his teeth at once lol. And now I know why he's not sleeping, poor guy. Somehow knowing there's a reason makes it more tolerable to go without sleep.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM

My DD is almost 7 months old. She slept through the night pretty good at around 4 mos, then at around 5 1/2 mos, she started waking up again. Turns out she was cutting her first tooth, then her 2nd one came in about a week later. Then she was sleeping good again.

For the past week or so, she's been waking up again whining with her fingers in her mouth. I think that top tooth is coming soon. Luckily she slept through the whole night last night.

So, I think it just comes & goes depending on how comfortable they are. Teething is a bummer to get through. :yawning

"The decision to have a child is momentous because it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.''
Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
Ok well I feel like a doofus. Another bottom tooth popped through today (felt it when trying to nurse him down for a nap). . . Somehow knowing there's a reason makes it more tolerable to go without sleep.
Hurray for definite answers! And congrats on the teeth!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Another mama with a poorly sleeping 7 (almost 8) month old. For he first 6 months, she woke every 2 - 3 hours. Magically around 6 months we started getting 4 hour stretches! About 2 weeks later, we ran smack into teething, crawling, pulling up, and now (as of today) trying to cruise. She began to sleep in 1-2 hour stretches, and woke crying sometimes, which never happened before.

She seems to be trying to drop to 2 naps, but can't quite get there. She sleeps best if I don't let her nap past 4pm, and put her down between 7:30 and 8:00pm. A few teething tablets (Tylenol or Motrin if it's been a rough teeth day) before bed helps, too. I'm seeing signs of improvement here and there the past week, so my fingers are crossed that we're closer to the end than the beginning.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee

User Tag List