Need Ideas finger foods for a picky 6 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
ck1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 6 1/2 months old and is EBF. We started him on solids 3 weeks ago but it hasn't gone well. It took this past Thursday when he wanted my Granola Bar for me to realize he does want to eat but he doesn't want baby purees. The problem is he only wants to eat the Hot Kids Baby Mum-Mum Rice Rusks http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Kid-Mum-Mu...4386019&sr=8-3 or Happy Baby Rice Puffs http://www.amazon.com/HAPPYBABY-Orga...4386073&sr=8-1. Oh, he did eat a few raisens!

I cut up big slices of the foods we've introduced but he doesn't like the texture of anything soft like a banana, avocado, pear, etc. And he absolutely won't do purees or take a spoon from me. Whenever he touches this stuff he gets a look like 'EWWWW" and might gag without tasting it.

Any suggestions on other foods I can give him? The rice puffs are so dry and he won't take a sippy cup, cup, or bottle with water or breastmilk at this point (he's a bit high needs but we love him). I'm just not sure where to go at this point...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

You could look into baby-led weaning, but I wouldn't worry, he'll probably eat when he's ready. If he doesn't like soft things, maybe a meat chop with a bone? Toast or bagel? An apple? We have feeder bags, and put frozen banana, grapes etc in, which 6 mo DD loves.
#3 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 PM

I saw those rice cakes at the store today. I immediately put them back when I saw they were a "Product of China". I'm rather paranoid about stuff made/from China, especially things that go in the mouth or are digested.

My 6 month old DD likes to gum pieces of chicken. She likes cooked carrot sticks and slices of apple or pears. She LOVES sweet potatoes. That's by far her favorite thing.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#4 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM

Sounds like my DD exactly. She still won't eat these things. I eventually gave up and tried again a few months later (9 months or so) and even then it was tough going. We did rice crackers (DS likes them too now, he's 8 months and they are way cheaper than baby Mummums!), rice puffs, cheerios, goldfish crackers, arrowroot cookies.... basically anything crunchy she would/will eat, if it's soft and/or mushy, forget it. And the PP is correct, frozen things might work because it numbs thier lips and tongue and if he has issues with textures like my DD he is more likely to eat stuff that is frozen. ALSO, DD would eat purees off of a plastic spoon but not off of a metal one. I wanted to not use plastic utensils with her but we got to a point where she had to eat something! Try different types of utensils or finger feeding and see if that helps.

And really, he'll survive just fine on breastmilk and you shouldn't worry about it.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#5 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 PM

A lot of 6 months old aren't interested/ready for solids. My DS wasn't really interested in eating (he loved to play with them..) solids until around 12 months, and didn't start eating a decent amount until closer to 15 months. He still has days where he will only eat a bite or two.

Follow your baby's lead. They can thrive on breastmilk for a long time.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#6 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
ck1

Quote:
I saw those rice cakes at the store today. I immediately put them back when I saw they were a "Product of China". I'm rather paranoid about stuff made/from China, especially things that go in the mouth or are digested.
BlueWolf now I feel paranoid.. you're right. That's why I was making my own baby food and looking for organics, but I never thought to look at where it was made! IKES! I think we'll switch over to the rice cakes, those probably will work with him, too.

I'm going to try something frozen in his feeder, but something tells me he's not going to like it, but he surprises me. I'll try using a metal spoon, too. I was thinking about Goldfish, Ritz crackers... what about cheese? Is that okay at this age? I just think that's not quite as soft, or boiled egg whites?
#7 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Six months old is very young to be worred that he's not eating solids. Breastmlk/formula should still make up almost all the nutrition of a baby that age. Beginning solids is really to introduce your baby to the world of food. Relax and enjoy this stage! Trust in that he won't be refusing food when he's 10 years old. My older son didn't take to solids until about 10 months, and from what I've read that's not unusual. Trust that your baby is choosing what is best for him at that time.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#8 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM

I'd personally give up and wait a few weeks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM

DD is the same way and we are just following her lead. BM is still her main source of nutrition and she is thriving. About once a week, we will introduce something to her and if she takes it she takes it, if not, we don't worry about it. We have started having her sit in her highchair with us at meals and giving her a sippy cup with water to keep her occupied while we eat. She also loves to play with her spoon and chew on it as long as there is nothing on it.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#10 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like he isn't ready for solids yet.
#11 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
BlueWolf now I feel paranoid.. you're right. That's why I was making my own baby food and looking for organics, but I never thought to look at where it was made! IKES! I think we'll switch over to the rice cakes, those probably will work with him, too.

I'm going to try something frozen in his feeder, but something tells me he's not going to like it, but he surprises me. I'll try using a metal spoon, too. I was thinking about Goldfish, Ritz crackers... what about cheese? Is that okay at this age? I just think that's not quite as soft, or boiled egg whites?
I read somewhere on this board to avoid egg whites but the yolk is okay? Apparently all the protein is located in the white of the egg. Don't quote me on that though, because I'm not entirely sure how it works either.

Not sure about the cheese either. My pedi told me to avoid cows milk until over a year old. I have given my DD some crackers and she does like those. Not sure how much gets swallowed, but she does like to play with them.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#12 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Here are some things that my DD (8 month) loves.

She absolutely loveeeeeees spinach. She will fight to get more haha
I get those deli flat whole grain bread and toast them a little and spread them with guacamole or hummus.
She loves yogurt. I either get the so delicious coconut milk one or the little blends from Horizon. Sometimes she's not really in the mood for it, but will eat it if I dip apples, earth's best graham sticks.
She really likes string cheese too
I get her mini bagels and spread them either with a thin layer of cream cheese or guacamole
She likes Kiwi, she just had it today and I gave her one half and she had a lot of fun eating it.
She loves broccoli too. I usually steam it and give her a floret.
But she does like banana and avocado and everything, but sometimes she doesnt seem to be into food at all.
Oh the other night I gave her a tortilla roll up with mashed beans inside, she loved that too.
#13 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Sounds like he isn't ready for solids yet.
This. The gagging makes me wonder if his tongue-thrust reflex is still present, which is a big no-no for starting solids.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page