What do you think of the Dr. Sears baby book? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I volunteer with an organization that does "book things" and it came to my attention that there might be a need for some teen moms to have a baby care/support/reference book.

Clearly, I want it to be a gentle, loving book. BUT I also need it to be acceptable by the more "mainstream" set. It needs to be informative and readable at a fairly low literacy level. And, it has to give loving and reliable answers to new, young moms in a way that they feel comfortable reading and thinking about.

So, what do you all think of the Sears baby book? Do you like it? Why/why not? Would you recommend it to a "mainstream" friend? Anything bug you about it?

I am considering it because I can get gently used copies for fairly inexpensive places like ebay (which I can't necessarily do with less well known/used books, so if you like something else, tell me, but I may not be able to do it because of numbers).

I'm also *personally* not a huge fan of "What to expect the first year", but as I recall, there is not anything really terrible in there, right? I'm sure it may not be people's favorite here, but did you want to burn it Babywise style or just kind of said "Eh"?
#2 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM

IIRC, what to expect has a lot of bad advice on breastfeeding and CIO, etc.

I absolutely love The Baby Book. I am halfway between crunchy and mainstream and it really appeals to me.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#3 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM

This is a discussion about the Sears book. I'm not such a fan of his gender role assumptions and condescending attitude, but the medical/health advice is very accessible and clear.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=sears

ETA, definitely not What To Expect. Penelope Leach's book is good.
#4 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Does Peneolop Leach's book give sort of the basic medical/physiological stuff (things to do about a stuffy nose, etc.)?
#5 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM

Oh, yes.
#6 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Please don't get What to Expect, or Your Baby Week by Week. I borrowed that from the library, and promptly returned it when the book recommended I use a toilet stall to nurse in public. I mean, seriously!! Ugh.

I like Dr. Sear's book. I also think it can be a little patronizing, so I'm not sure how teens would feel about it. Also, IIRC, it goes on and on about the couple parenting together, which is great, but may not be the reality for those you are trying to help. So while it isn't bad, I just don't know how relevant it may be.

You know, I think I may have Leach's book upstairs on loan from the library. I'm NAK right now, but I'll go look and get back with you!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#7 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 PM

I call The Baby Book my baby bible. It answered every question I ever had...including a concern about an ingrown toenail in a 6 week old! I would give it as a gift to every expecting mom if I could. Dr. Sears validated every inclination I had towards AP. And yes, it's very user friendly.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#8 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I absolutely love The Baby Book. I am halfway between crunchy and mainstream and it really appeals to me.
Same here. It's easy/enjoyable to read, gentle and reassuring, and it doesn't make me feel bad about the choices I've made that lean more toward the mainstream.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#9 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM

I think the Sears book is so great because the mainstream is the target audience. Sure I have some minor issues with some of the advice but nothing I consider actually harmful.

and
#10 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
I think the Sears book is so great because the mainstream is the target audience. Sure I have some minor issues with some of the advice but nothing I consider actually harmful.
I agree with this. I've been going through Leach's Your Baby and Child, and while it's good, I don't know if it would work for you. It has lots of great information and great pictures (lots of women of color, lot of different children, etc), but it's very text heavy. I mean, LOTS of reading. I don't even have time to read it all, and if I was a teen mom in school, too, it may too much.

I think Dr. Sears may be your best bet.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#11 of 31 Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon, RN View Post
Please don't get What to Expect, or Your Baby Week by Week. I borrowed that from the library, and promptly returned it when the book recommended I use a toilet stall to nurse in public. I mean, seriously!! Ugh.
Am I the only one whose ever done this? I'm all for public BFing, but, this became a popular place for us... Let's see - in the grocery store, a book store, while getting my oil changed, a rather formal restaurant (where a host kindly brought a comfortable chair into the ladies' room)... lots of places where I just wanted quiet and privacy. Anyway, this is beside the point. What I really wanted to say is that I disliked both of those books also, but for other reasons. Too rigid. What's the one that Similac gives away at the hospital - Your Baby's First Year, I think? Hated that one, too.

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
#12 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 AM

I love the Sears book. The What to Expect book is garbage. I have it and am considering recycling it rather than donating it just to take one out of circulation.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#13 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I love the Sears book. The What to Expect book is garbage. I have it and am considering recycling it rather than donating it just to take one out of circulation.
#14 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 AM

I like the Sears book, but agree with a PP that it makes a lot of assumptions about there being a mommy and daddy present. Of course, most baby books are going to do that.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#15 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 01:54 AM

I love the Sears book. I was single for nearly my entire pregnancy and I didn't feel condemned. There are some sections for single parents.
#16 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM

I love the Sears' book. Especially because of the babywearing section, which I think is presented in such a straightforward way that mainstream parents who haven't even heard of babywearing would think it's a cool idea.

I loved the Leach book for the first six months, early baby stuff. The "older baby" section, i.e. 6+ mo starts to get into the "do you really want your baby in your bed with you, I don't think so..." kind of mentality that turned me off a bit.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#17 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Absolutely the Dr. Sears book. It holds a special place in my heart.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#18 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
I love the Sears' book. Especially because of the babywearing section, which I think is presented in such a straightforward way that mainstream parents who haven't even heard of babywearing would think it's a cool idea.

I loved the Leach book for the first six months, early baby stuff. The "older baby" section, i.e. 6+ mo starts to get into the "do you really want your baby in your bed with you, I don't think so..." kind of mentality that turned me off a bit.
This, exactly. And I find Sears's book is much more thorough when it comes to medical issues. I think The Baby Book is probably about as close to perfect, for what you need, as you're going to get.

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#19 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM

I too really liked The Baby Book. I really wish I would have read it before I had my first child instea of after I'd had him and he was almost a year old.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#20 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM

I got the baby book for a semi-mainstream friend. She said she found it helpful. I didn't read the whole thing, but I did skim through it and didn't find anything terrible. I think it'd be a good gift for someone who leans a bit toward the mainstream but isn't on the completely opposite end of the spectrum, IYKWIM.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#21 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM

I will be the voice of dissent here and say that although I do pull out The Baby Book for the medical stuff (which I trust and appreciate), I have trouble even reading many of the other sections because I find it SO patronizing. I personally found his advice to be geared toward married, straight, stay-at-home moms. Not being any of those things myself, I often felt very put off by his discussions, even when I essentially agreed with him.

Since I went into the book already feeling very strongly about co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc., my annoyances with his tone and assumptions did not deter me. However, if I had been on the fence about any of those things, my sense of alienation from the experience of parenthood that he described might have made me feel like AP things weren't meant for someone like me.

Anyway, that's just my $.02. I, like everyone else here, think that What To Expect is somewhat evil. I do not own, but have heard very good things (from semi-crunchy friends) about the updated versions of Dr. Spock's book. Maybe that's worth looking at?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#22 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 PM

I do think the Sears book is a good one. It gives a lot of info on AP but plenty of alternatives as well. Most other comprehensive parenting books are not going to offer that kind of balance--for example, most won't even give a nod in the direction of co-sleeping, much less doing it safely. There are tons of "non-crunchy" people who co-sleep, whether they planned to or not, and could use the info!

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#23 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Sears book is great. I would call it more crunchy than mainstream but I don't think it would raise eyebrows. It is a terrific resource and then one that I buy *everyone* I know who is pregnant for the first time. I got my copy the same way and I think it was really influential in how I parent.
#24 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 AM

I put the Sears book back on the shelf after I picked it up, turned to the pages about c-sections and read that the first thing I should to is figure out how to nurse side-lying so I wouldn't have to get up. Nice in theory but laying on your side after a c-section is EXCRUCIATING!!!! I couldn't read any more after that, since it was obvious to me that not everything in the book was written by people who had had children or researched the topics.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#25 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I put the Sears book back on the shelf after I picked it up, turned to the pages about c-sections and read that the first thing I should to is figure out how to nurse side-lying so I wouldn't have to get up. Nice in theory but laying on your side after a c-section is EXCRUCIATING!!!! I couldn't read any more after that, since it was obvious to me that not everything in the book was written by people who had had children or researched the topics.
I find this piece of advice in every place that has any info about c/s and nursing. It's maddening!! You know it was written by someone who just thought, "Hey, no pressure on the incision!" and never actually tried to roll on their side after major surgery.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#26 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM

I had the same thoughts about everywhere and person that recommended the "football" hold b/c I had a c-section and have large breasts. This never felt comfortable or natural to me. we do the cradle hold.

as for side lying, I only began to do this around 6 wks; before that side lying was both uncomfortable for me, and difficult for him - he was too small and my breast too big for me to really help him find the nipple or line him up properly.

I haven't read the baby book; but I did have the pregnancy book, and I loved it! I had the week-by-week one also and it is awful.

the Publix stores down here send you caring for your baby and young child when you register for their baby club. it is good for medical stuff; which is the focus. I don't know that it would be great for teen moms though. I wish I knew where to get them, but when I was younger, I think the Naval Hospitals gave out these books that were full of flow charts (if the baby has a fever of this, go to next box, is she vomiting?, etc and you end up with a solution - give tylenol, or call doctor, etc) it was very easy to follow, because I did often as a kid, just for fun. I don't know if anyone publishes anything similiar anymore.

- Katrina

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#27 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM

I also really love the Dr.Sears' book(s), for all the reasons already cited. Another thing to consider is that Dr. Sears website is excellent and contains almost all the info in his books!
#28 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another vote for the Sears Baby Book
#29 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I like the Sears book in general, but I do think it's pretty heavily focused on a straight, married, stay-at-home-mom family situation.

But I have to chime in and say that side-lying nursing was, for us, the ONLY way to go, after both of my c-sections. I think different mothers experience this differently. For me, sitting up was what was excruciating.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#30 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

The Dr. Sears Baby Book is seriously my "Baby Bible." I have worn through through 3 copies of it, and donated the last 2 to friends who questioned if it was okay to sleep with their babies, and if they were spoiling their babies by holding them too much. Now they too are AP parents.

I hadn't even come across Mothering mag. before that book, and after reading it, it so deeply touched me, I decided right then and there in my second trimester that -that was how I wanted to raise my children. I had never heard of AP or cosleeping before; it just sounded "right" in my heart.

But the book is so much more than that. It's such sound advice for parents, and such great medical advice. I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page