Did I dream this? Solid introduction statement from AAP/WHO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did the American Academy of Pediatrics come out very recently with a statement about the "order" of solid introduction, saying that other than honey, everything can be introduced from the start? Or am I so sleep deprived now that Im making up things?
#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
L0L, I'm not surprised. Those organizations are just about the Last place to take advice!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM

actually they did some studies and found that introducing allergenic foods earlier (6 months +) caused less instance of allergies than holding off. so yeah, they AAP did change their stance on that. unless there is family history of allergies.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 5 Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

LadyCatherine: THe one i had heard included kids with family history of allergies (I have tons of allergies, that's why i was surprised and a little confused... im trying to go back to read the details, but i just can't find it anywhere)
#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 AM

"Current evidence is insufficient to document a significant protective effect of maternal dietary restrictions during pregnancy or lactation. Nor is there sufficient evidence that any dietary intervention after 4-6 months of age prevents allergic disease. This includes delaying the introduction of complementary foods."

From an AAP press release in January of 2008. It's found under the heading "BREASTFEEDING, NON-MILK FORMULA MAY DELAY OR PREVENT ATOPIC DISEASE" at the link here: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/jan08studies.htm

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page