Soap for Babies - Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a gentle, natural baby soap/shampoo for my 4 month old. Any recommendations? I've used Earth Mama, Angel Baby and I like it...but it was a gift and I can't find it locally. I've also used Aveeno, but it was too strong smelling and didn't rinse off very well, left the baby sort of slimey.

I'm open to making my own too, if someone had directions that involved very easy to find ingredients.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM

What about something by California Baby? We use the shampoo, and I think it can be a bodywash too. Target carries a bunch of their stuff.
#3 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 04:51 PM

i second California Baby. i use the bubble bath, Calendula Cream for his diaper area and the Diaper Area Wash on my LO and the Super Sensitive Everyday Lotion on myself (i have sensitive dry skin so i have to be careful what i use on myself). all lovely products!

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#4 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Target has a burts bees basket that comes with baby oil (love this, smells so good) body wash, diaper ointment and lotion all for $20. I really love this stuff.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#5 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I thought the Caifornia Baby was very strong smelling too. (tea tree oil?) Although there was an unscented one too. But, I do like SOME scent...ha! I guess I'm sort of picky huh? It just seems like for a baby the scent should be very, very, very mild!

I had ruled out the Burt's Bees because I heard they were purchased by some big company (can't remember who) and were slowly changing their ingredients and would be (or do already) include some bad stuff now. Not sure. Maybe I'll look into that one.
#6 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 PM

I was going to second Burt's Bees, I hadn't heard they were changing their ingredients? Bummer.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#7 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
I thought the Caifornia Baby was very strong smelling too. (tea tree oil?) Although there was an unscented one too. But, I do like SOME scent...ha! I guess I'm sort of picky huh? It just seems like for a baby the scent should be very, very, very mild!

I had ruled out the Burt's Bees because I heard they were purchased by some big company (can't remember who) and were slowly changing their ingredients and would be (or do already) include some bad stuff now. Not sure. Maybe I'll look into that one.
I'd be interested to know what bad ingredients there is. I'm not seeing anything that's sending out red flags to me on the label

eta clorox owns it

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#8 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM

We were given a soap by "little twig" for a baby shower gift, and I really like it. It's unscented and gentle. I don't know if its organic though - I'll check and try to remember to update when I have internet again.

We also have the lotion by them, and its really light (I use it on my face as moisturizer )
#9 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 PM

We have been using some Method baby wash and lotion that was given to us as a baby gift, and I like it. We have a really dry climate here, and we get in the tub a lot just because DS likes it so much, so I was worried about his skin drying out, but its really soft and nice.

Allthough I have had some people tell me they think it smells like playdough? I'm not sure what playdough smells like, but I think DS smells great after I wash his hair.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#10 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM

We use dr. bronner's baby castile

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#11 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

You can always look things up here http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php
#12 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Here you go, a list of baby soaps with no toxic ingredients. Im on the search for a new one too http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...ry=baby%20soap
#13 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM

We use Burt's Bees & Weleda brands for shampoo/body wash for the babe. Both are mild, have good ingredients, and, imo, smell good. BB is fine with me & I love the smell - it cleans well & rinses off well. Weleda is creamier - very moisturizing & smells good. Both are available at our local Target.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#14 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I really like the Weleda. Ingredient list looks very benign and the scent is mild and pleasant.

Me, DH, DD1 (2009), DD2 (2011), and DS (2015).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.
Vaccines save lives.
#15 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post

That is a great web site!

Plus, babies don't really need to be washed with soap. A thorough rinsing and a gentle "scrub" with a soft wash cloth is more than sufficient. If I do use soap on DD's skin (she is 2.5 yo and is most often just washed with water), it's usually a goat's milk soap.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#16 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

I bought a packet of finely ground oatmeal flour and whenever I wash DD I mix a tablespoon of flour in a cup of water and use this gooey paste on her with a wet washcloth. It is the gentlest soap there is and gently exfoliates and cleanses too although it leaves no perfume but my baby's own scent behind

#17 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 PM

My 8.5-month-old daughter is sensitive to fragrances, and the only soap we've found that doesn't aggravate her AND that leaves her skin and hair clean and soft is Global Balance Baby Shampoo and Body Wash. This company specializes in eco-friendly household and personal care products. We also like that it's inexpensive--less than $5 a bottle.

Mother of Mosole 5/23/2009
#18 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM

California Baby I love you bubble bath smells good but isn't really strong, IMO. It has scent from aromatherapy oils, not artificial fragrance. You could also try the calming bodywash. You likely used one of California Baby's tea tree products. They have lots of other stuff, too, that might have less strong scents.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#19 of 30 Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I love the Weleda Calendula body wash and lotion. It is gentle and smells soooooooooooo lovely!
#20 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
We use dr. bronner's baby castile
Same here! Diluted, in a foaming pump bottle. Love it!!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#21 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 01:53 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I feel really strongly that infant soap should be unscented. We've been really happy with California Baby unscented body wash. We use Avalon Organics unscented lotion. The CB scented products are lovely for older children. The only CB product I don't like is their unscented lotion. Smells icky.

I actually like several of the Aveeno baby products. The unscented lotion is wonderful. But all contain parabeens which has no place on a baby.
#22 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 AM

I am not a fancy product girl for myself or DS, we use handmade unscented, no packaging soap and olive oil for lotion. It works great and I know all the ingredients by name.

Soap making isn't tough but it does have a learning curve and sadly lye can be tough to find

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#23 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 PM

i use wildroot botanicals baby shampoo & body wash:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=34764278

it's 100% all natural and leaves baby smelling deliciously fresh in a non-perfumed kind of way (and leaves her hair super soft).
#24 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 PM

We make our own soap, a lavender soap, and it is pretty easy. Probably takes less than an hour.

First you want to choose your fats. We use olive oil, raw shea butter and sometimes coconut oil...but really it comes down to whatever you have in the house.

This site may help you decide what fats to use

http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/oils.html

You will also need lye. Check your local hardware store, they carry it to unclog drains, but that is what is used to make soap as well.

Now you need to calculate how much lye for the fats you have...so a lye calculator - here is the one we use

http://www.brambleberry.com/Lye-Calc...-Soap-W12.aspx

and here is a how to and more instructions

http://www.cranberrylane.com/soapmaking.htm

it isn't really hard or time consuming, 1 hour maybe

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#25 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM

I use a home made goat milk soap. I buy it already mixed (so no messing with lye) and just melt and re-pour in to molds. You can add scents and what not, but I usually just leave it plain since I'm sensitive to fragrances and other random stuff.

Mama of three.

#26 of 30 Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 PM

I almost never use soap on my babies or young children (except toddler hands!).

I have had the same bar of Burt's Bees baby shampoo/soap since dd was born, almost 3 years ago. I use that on their bottoms, hands, feet, and hair occasionally.

If I were to buy, I'd probably look at California Baby because they make the only bubble bath that doesn't give dd a rash.

I would also look for a locally made product that only contains ingredients I know and trust.
#27 of 30 Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 PM

EMAB (which I LOVE) is now available @ Target (also whole foods if you live near one). We also like the Weleda line too.
#28 of 30 Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post
yes i go here and California Baby is as non-toxic as they come! that's what we use.
#29 of 30 Old 02-14-2010, 05:41 PM

Does soap for baby NEED to say "for baby?" I'm just asking, because I don't really know. We were thinking of just using those clear glycerin soap bars to wash our baby, but I don't know how that would work. I don't have a problem buying baby wash if I need it, but I'd rather just use the glycerin soap if it doesn't matter. Is "baby wash" a marketing thing?
#30 of 30 Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
I use a home made goat milk soap. I buy it already mixed (so no messing with lye) and just melt and re-pour in to molds. You can add scents and what not, but I usually just leave it plain since I'm sensitive to fragrances and other random stuff.
Where do you get this from?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page