Most helpful item? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pants with feet, pull on, with SEPARATE shirts. But I suspect that someone who isn't ECing will enjoy all those blasted footie pajamas. (Sorry, bit of a pet peeve there, we told dh's family that Lina can't wear footie pajamas because of night sweats (the same ones dh had as a kid) and the only clothes we ever get from them are those.) But pants with feet are sooo much better than socks.

As for most useful, a sling. Regardless of what someone ends up liking best if they get into babywearing, a pouch sling is really easy to learn and works really well with a newborn.
#62 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
The Camelbak bite-valve water bottle.
Ooo, yes, those are fantastic. And super-easy for the baby to learn to use later on and there's no way to backwash into them.
#63 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM

somehow missed the part of the OP where you said you were looking for "Mommy" things. The Camelbak is a great waterbottle.

One handed food would be good. Like frozen casserole-type dishes that can be heated up quickly and eaten with just a fork. I lived on granola bars during that time and still can't stand to look at them.
#64 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas ladies keep em coming. You are giving me some fabulous ideas of things to do for her as well as buy for her which is great. Nobody brought me food so I never really thought about it. I make a killer lasagna and she loves chili so I will make up a couple batches of those in reheatable throw away containers so no dishes!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#65 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM

White noise machine. In our case the womb sounds bear. Ds will NOT go to sleep(or nurse) if there's any noise distracting him so it's been a real life saver.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#66 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but maybe some magazines, books, or DVDs to keep her occupied during marathon nursing sessions.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#67 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I change mine? I forgot-- we didn't buy this beforehand and really regret it. Camera, Camera, Camera. A nice one. Def. best/most enjoyed purchase.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#68 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
Can I change mine? I forgot-- we didn't buy this beforehand and really regret it. Camera, Camera, Camera. A nice one. Def. best/most enjoyed purchase.
Ooo that's an awesome idea!! Also video camera, memory cards, gift card to print photos, etc.!!! (I just printed out 220 photos this weekend lol... was scrambling to find "free prints" codes & still payed a ton in shipping!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#69 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM

oops, wrong place!

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#70 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Boppy
Slings
Breastpump
Swaddlers
Play mat
Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Cream

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#71 of 74 Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I lived on granola bars during that time and still can't stand to look at them.
I'm still living on granola bars. It sucks.

If I'm lucky, I'll get an orange in there.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#72 of 74 Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 AM

The Miracle Blanket! (Don't know if there are other swaddler blankets like it, but this one pins her arms down to her sides so she can't break out like those cheap ones). My baby could break out of any swaddle until we got this, and it saved us for months and months. Peaceful nights (until she decided she was done with swaddling). I see they even sell it at BRU now! Worth every penny, IMHO.

Other than that, I HIGHLY second the exercise ball! We still use it, to this day (10 months), for bouncing her to sleep. Nothing else has ever worked so well and so quickly. BUT! If you get one, get a nicer one (not the Walmart brand) and get the biggest one they have, so they can adjust the bounciness to their liking and not have to nearly squat on the floor to bounce. It makes a BIG difference, believe me. We had to deal with the crappy one on vacation, and it sucked. Too hard and stiff.
#73 of 74 Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 PM

The book, Happiest Baby on the Block, was the most helpful shower gift and really taught me how to sooth my baby in the early months. I'm so glad that someone gave it to me and that I read it before ds came.

The baby carrier is wonderful and I liked SleepyWrap for my ds. Swaddling blankets, glider/rocking chair...

But really, after having the baby I realized that during pregnancy I'd focused too much on the baby stuff and not enough on preparing for what life is like with a baby.
#74 of 74 Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

kinda a hijack...anyone with an A&A swaddle blanket know the dimensions? i am just wondering how they compare in size to my flat diapers but could't find it on the website. thanks!!

eta...i found it. 47x47

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page