Most helpful item? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What was the most helpful thing/item in your baby's first year of life?
I'm trying to buy a shower gift for my best friend and I just can't decide.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM

What has she registered for? The most necessary was diapers, but if your bff doesn't cloth diaper that isn't the same really. Also on my short list was a carrier, swaddling blankets and a few really nice wooden toys.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Boppy and Hotsling are the most 2 helpful baby items I have.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM

I'll second that, and say boppy.

I had a really hard time breastfeeding without it at first. I dont need it now, but I still use it sometimes, and its usefull for other things as well. DS hated tummy time at first unless it was in the boppy, he didnt like being flat out, he wanted to be elevated.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#5 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Hands down, it was a baby carrier. In particular, I loved a wrap, but a good hands-free carrier is a must, IMO.
Melinda
#6 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Baby wrap. Cloth diapers. Burp cloths.

Yup, that sums up our first year!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM

I also loved a bouncy seat (the kind that isn't that expensive, has the baby semi-reclined and vibrates/bounces). It was heaven sent for taking showers!
#8 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Baby wrap. Cloth diapers. Burp cloths.

Yup, that sums up our first year!
I went a little overboard on the burb cloths and bought 10 receiving blankets. I only use one of them LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I also loved a bouncy seat (the kind that isn't that expensive, has the baby semi-reclined and vibrates/bounces). It was heaven sent for taking showers!
My bouncy has become a cat bed LOL it's not uncommon to find 3 cats laying on it, and sometimes a puppy too. I got really nice one basically thrown in with my swing that I bought on CL. I love my swing though. Have you considered getting a shower sling? Panda loves taking showers with us.

#10 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Definitely a baby carrier! This was essential for the early baby days.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#11 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM

It was also my baby carrier, for both DC. Other than that it was swaddlers, but I did appreciate the larger clothes people bought. We had a plethora of NB and 3-6 months, but after that it was slim pickins and the 2-3 outfits I had for 9 months saved the day!

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#12 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM

1. Exercise Ball - not for her to exercise on, but to sit and bounce on while holding/wearing the baby. Nothing soothes our kiddo faster than a little bouncing action. The best for moms who are tired of standing and bouncing.

2. Baby carrier - I'm a wrap and Ergo fan.

3. $10 Camelbak water bottle - the kind with the bite-valve, you can drop it, leave it lying on the bed, pick it up with your toes, pick it up with your mouth, drink hands free and it won't ever spill. If you've ever been mid-nurse and about to keel over from thirst, you know how killer this is. Plus, it's 1-litre, so I know how much water I'm drinking in a day.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#13 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
I went a little overboard on the burb cloths and bought 10 receiving blankets. I only use one of them LOL
LOL we went through 15-20 burp cloths a day. NO JOKE. And that was with reusing each a few times 'til it got too gross!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
tzs

i'm going to agree on the sling...but let her choose. that was the best gift, the offer to buy a sling.

also the swaddling blankets, i still use them and she's 5 months.

small blanket for stroller/car seat/cuddling. i would have hated having to buy those things for myself

newborn plain onesies! you always need. and baby socks. nobody gives you these basics and it's pretty much all you need for the first few weeks.

bummers....
burb cloths i returned them all.....i just don't get it.

and boppy i used like twice, pillows were just more convenient. but i have a friend who uses hers all the time.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#15 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
. I love my swing though. Have you considered getting a shower sling? Panda loves taking showers with us.
My kids hated swings, so I gave mine away after baby #2. They loved bouncy seats so much that ours broke, and I have to buy a new one for baby #3.

I shower with baby, but I find the dance with wet mama/wet baby/towel to be difficult to get everyone dry before they get cold. Also, it's hard to wash my hair with a baby in my arms without getting the shampoo in their eyes. So, I lay a towel in the bouncy seat just outside the shower. Shower with baby. Put baby in the towel, wrap them up, wash my hair lickety-split, then get out and dry off myself. My dh refers to it as the shower dance. LOL
#16 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
newborn plain onesies! you always need. and baby socks. nobody gives you these basics and it's pretty much all you need for the first few weeks.
what do you use onesies for? I have tons of these, but I'm contemplating getting rid of them (pregnant with #3), since I never used them with the first 2 babies. I'm curious why they are considered such a staple.
#17 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM

hmm.

a REALLY NICE HOUSEROBE. for the mama. lol.

honestly - i'm thinking about doing this for a friend for her shower. the baby will get plenty. my most prized item since becoming a mom is a pima cotton robe from JJILL (pure collection) i got from a friend for xmas. because lets face it - especially if its her first - most days i don't ever leave the house. OR MY PJS!

good luck!

32 - son born 9/21/09
#18 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM

A carrier has been our most used piece of gear (Moby in the beginning, Ergo now). But as another poster mentioned, they are a personal choice. The offer to buy the carrier of choice would be a wonderful gift.

The only other piece of gear that I felt was a godsend was my breast pump. I had a TON of milk, way way more than DS could drink, and that pump and I became best friends in the first few months. It helped me to build up a stash and saved my poor breasts from many, many painfully engorged hours!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#19 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

diapers, carrier, bouncy seat. I also appreciated the clothes we got in larger sizes 9+ months. I don't think we really bought him clothes until 24 month sizes and that was nice.
#20 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
1. Exercise Ball - not for her to exercise on, but to sit and bounce on while holding/wearing the baby. Nothing soothes our kiddo faster than a little bouncing action. The best for moms who are tired of standing and bouncing.
Ooh good idea, I'll have to let DH know about that one

#21 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
tzs

Quote:
what do you use onesies for? I have tons of these, but I'm contemplating getting rid of them (pregnant with #3), since I never used them with the first 2 babies. I'm curious why they are considered such a staple.
ha ha! it's so funny how everybody has their own "musts" and one person's must is anothers "wtf?"

for the first couple weeks she would just wear a onesie and some socks, hat and be all swaddled or bundled.
once she started wearing "clothes" she always has a onesie on as an "undershirt." #1 b/c it's both cold outside and in our house so it's a layer. and #2, as a barrier layer against poo explosions. i have no problem tossing a stained white onesie once we outgrow it. but the other clothes i'd rather use as hand-me-downs.
and i'm sure once it gets hot out she'll be back in the onesie-as-outfit mode.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#22 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 PM

For me, it was my Ergo and my Boppy.
#23 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Boppy, Bumbo and Baby carrier.
#24 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM

The lifesaver for showers because I am incapable of showering with a baby, lol
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...=bgb&pid=47989
We use it as a bed for naps too because it reclines and she can't lie flat to sleep. And she loves the vibrate.

Also, boppy for belly time, she hates lying flat on her belly and the Moby wrap.

Those were the most needed baby things for me but I have to say that my very favorite shower gift was a bag of wonderful Mommy things!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#25 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
what she calls as necessary items may depend on her personality.

for instance - those baby sleep positioner thingies were a waste for me. however i gave it to a friend of mine and to date it was one of their most helpful gifts. they loved it. gave them peace of mind.

if she is getting a lot focus on the older age. i remember talking to moms and finding out they get a lot for 6 months and below but not that much for 6 months and above.

for my colicky child - the one irreplacable item was the swing. i dont know how we would have managed without it.

we got a lot, lot of use out of the bouncy seat.

because i was going back to work, i really really appreciated the dual cup electric pump work got for me.

i also appreciated unique toys for my crawler.

but more than anything i appreciated those friends who were available after i had my dd. they were teh ones who got me the swing pronto when they heard my dd cry.

and oh yes. i loooooooooved getting things for me.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#26 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
me too. mine was a sept baby and we only put on clothes to go out. she hated clothes on her. and that's one thing you get A LOT of. most of her clothes were so unnecessary.

i have no idea what you need onsies for either. oh and i got waaaaaaay too many blankets and those small cotton blankets too (forget what they are called - 3 or 4 to a pack). i never used them either except for a few.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
When we were using sposies, the onesies were key bc they held her diaper on after the crappy paper tabs failed, which they did frequently.

Now that we CD I hate the onesies bc they make it impossible to pull out the back of her diaper to check for wet/dirty.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#28 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

so what were your "mommy things"? I've gotten her an aden and anais swaddling blanket and some berry plush covers and 2 embroidered GADs so far. I thought I might round it out with some mommy things and maybe a good AP baby book. Any suggestions. I'm lending her my nursing pillow, bumbo and baby carriers so that's taken care of.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#29 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 PM

How about something for immediately after birth? Earth Mama Angel Baby products are something I sometimes give after birth to new moms. The bottom balm is probably the best out there.

Or items for a nursing basket: magazine, lip balm, lanolin, nursing pads, water bottle, etc.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#30 of 74 Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 PM

The shower gift I've used daily for 10 1/2 months? Flannel baby wipes! They are the best and work great for wiping noses as well as bottoms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page