Drooling/Teething rash help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS will be 6 months in a few days and I swear he's been teething for months, but this week it's bad. Whining and crying out of the blue for "no reason" and then happy if you distract him or give him a chilly wash cloth to chew, so def. seems like his gums are bothering him. He's got all the signs of a tooth coming in, but still nothing. This week the little rash on his chin has gotten so bad. I hope it's just from teething and not something like eczema, but it's only around his chin...

We try to keep him dry there when he's drooling, but he's red and looks painful and then after we keep any lotions off it it almost dries up and gets crusty which seems painful, too. So is it better to keep something ON it and moist or let it dry up? Anyone experience something like this? We were using Cali Baby calendula cream on it, but I didn't feel that was helping (maybe even making it worse) so we switched to a baby balm by Badger that is organic and chamomile and calendula. Still no difference

Any other suggestions? I really don't want to put something like mineral oil on his skin.

Success after Infertility (PCOS) with Traditional Chinese Medicine. Mom to Lucas (8/17/09) our intact, non vaccinated , cloth diapered, natural birth, attachment parented son.
#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
tzs

i've been smothering my babe's cheeks hopelessly with gunk until a few days ago a put a humidifier by her crib b/c of a cough and hopes of white-noise enhanced sleep....cleared up!!!!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Try some vaseline. Very soothing, non-irritating and provides a good barrier.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#4 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM

we love Ebraviva lip and cheek balm
it is great for the teething, drooling rash

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#5 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 PM

The same thing is happening with DD. Its a little worse if we're out a lot and she is exposed to the cold and wind. CB Calendula cream isn't working for us either so I've been using Un-petroleum jelly. It's a good barrier and doesn't have any fragrance to irritate her rashy skin further.
#6 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM

I used lasinoh, it really helped our DD. It provided a barrier for the drool, and actually almost helped overnight.
#7 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah'sMommy View Post
I used lasinoh, it really helped our DD. It provided a barrier for the drool, and actually almost helped overnight.
Lasinoh has been a life saver for ds's face. On top of teething rash he's attempting to shove himself all over the place with his feet while his face is on the floor/bed/couch so he has a constant red rash/irritation on his cheeks from them being used like a wheelbarrow wheel.

I figure if it was safe for him to have in his mouth when I first nursed & helped my nipples it surely can't hurt to have on his face now.

It's worked better than anything else I've tried.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page