Babies with long hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD was born with a LOT of hair and I've never really known what to do with it. Im ok with letting it be all messy, but for special occasions I'd like her hair to look less crazy lol

Her hair is semi-curly and the problem really is only with the hair in the back/middle of her head it gets super frizzy and sticks up. She has I think you call that a cow's lick? Im not sure, we call it whirlwind in Spanish. That area of her hair also gets super tangled and she always gets super mad whenever I was her hair and try to detangle it.

What do you with your baby's hair? Is there any detangler out there you like and feel is safe for babies?

Im mostly tired of people telling me to brush her hair lol
#2 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm curious about this too. Dd was born with a lot of hair, and while most of it takes care of itself, she's got this patch in the back that's super frizzy and will stand straight up! And it's always dread-like in the morning. I'm not quite sure what to do with it....
#3 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMama View Post
I'm curious about this too. Dd was born with a lot of hair, and while most of it takes care of itself, she's got this patch in the back that's super frizzy and will stand straight up! And it's always dread-like in the morning. I'm not quite sure what to do with it....
That's exactly how my DD's hair is!

The only thing that makes it not look like thatis when I put her hair up like this http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs143....6_361568_n.jpg but I dont really like that and she always ends up taking it off.
#4 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM

My son has a ton of curly hair, and it's growing super fast. We just let it be, but occasionally, when it's sticking up real bad, I will put a little baby lotion in it, just to calm the spikes! I just rub my hands with the baby lotion, then pat his head, and it kind of slicks the hair so it's a bit tamer.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#5 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM

My boy's hair is crazy crazy crazy... curly and lots of it! I always wish I could just use a barrette and ponytail without getting comments! He has the awful frizz piece in the back too. He's 10 months.

The best thing for us is to minimize washings (maybe once a week) but condition with a LOT of conditioner every night. I let that soak in while I wash his body and brush it through the tangled pieces in the back. (A brush, not a comb) Then i wash that out and put a tiny squirt of condition back in as a leave in.

When it's crazy in the morning I wet it and brush it (trying not to brush the curls too much, just the frizz) and rub some hair oil in it. (A tiny tiny bit)

I'll look for a picture and edit...
#6 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Great tips. I've been doing the co-wash (just putting conditioner and no shampoo) on her too and I've seen some improvement. I do this too for my hair, I got kinky curly fro hair. I've been using Burt's Bees conditioner Super Shiny on both of us and tonight I saw some improvement. I have this wooden brush that I use on her and it helps detangle gently.

I sometimes put a bit of jojoba oil on her hair too, but I feel like it makes it look greasy, maybe I should try just one drop.

Here you can see some curl action and this doesnt bother me, is just the one spot on the back haha

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...6_561598_n.jpg
#7 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 PM

DD's hair gets super tangled on the back too. I just wet it down and comb it. I've had to comb it since she was a tiny baby, so she's pretty used to it. I give her some toys in her lap and she'll play with those while I comb. I don't think her head is very sensitive though, she never makes any fuss about combing out the tangles.

The thing that bothers me most right now is that it's gotten really long in the front and hangs down in her eyes all the time. So, most days she has the "Pebbles" look with a ponytail on top of her head. Sometimes I just pull it to the side and put a clip in it. She's actually going for a trim (her first haircut) this week so hopefully that helps.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#8 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM

Oh I'm just subbing for more pictures of these cute long haired babies! not that short haired babes aren't equally lovable (I have one with a monk hairstyle lol!) but..

...just...

..aaaaawwww!

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#9 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 AM

DD gets that crazy, frizzy, tangled patch at the back of her head as well (from rubbing her head back and forth at night), and I found that using a little coconut oil at night before she goes to sleep usually takes care of it. Not too much otherwise it looks greasy.
I am doing everything I can to prolong her first haircut; I am soooo not ready for that!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#10 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM

here's my long haired boy...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=8284c92b36
#11 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
He's so cute!

The first picture reminds me of this picture of my DD

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1768955_n.jpg
#12 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM

too cute! millie is sporting a long-monk do. baldy on top long around the side and back!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#13 of 15 Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post
He's so cute!

The first picture reminds me of this picture of my DD

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1768955_n.jpg

Ha! I agree. Same crazy bed head.
#14 of 15 Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 AM

I took an empty no more tangles bottle and put a little of the burts bees conditioner and fill it up with water.

My middle daughter's hair was like that (thankfully not until around 1) but I generally let it be a rats nest in the back bc I just hated torturing her! I put th bottle in the diaper bag and when we GOT where we were going I would spray a LOT of it in her hair and brush through it gently. It would usually do the trick until she was back in that carseat or took a nap

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#15 of 15 Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Didn't catch this thread till now...great one! Adorable pics too!!!

Our girls were both born with full heads of dark hair. DD1's was curlier & really long from the start...Whenever we would be leaving the house, I would spray it with a spray bottle to try & tame it...& then bring the spray bottle in the car to freshen it up after the car seat made it all crazy & knotted. I tend to have her sleep with it in a hair tie so that it isn't so knotty in the morning-otherwise combing it is a nightmare.

DD2 is 3 weeks old now-hers isn't as long & curly as her sister's was but seems to be forming a little mohawk. So funny.

Pic of 2 of them together...
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/IMG_7181.jpg

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page