How late is too late to start solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 7 months and we have not started her on solids. My plan was to start BLW when she seemed to be interested/need food or at 9 months, whichever came first. However someone here mentioned a study claiming that the risk of allergies goes up if you don't start by 8 months- does anyone have more information on that? I suspect that she would be *able* to try solids with no problem, but she seems to be doing just fine as is for now!

Thanks,
Sarah
#2 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM

According to the most recent studies published through the AAP suggest that there is no benefit to starting solids after 6 months. And there is also no need to introduce foods in stages for allergy purposes unless you have a family history of allergies.

Good luck.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#3 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM

I know lots of moms that have 1 yos that don't offer solids and they're fine...but that may be a fluke.

DS started reaching for my food by 5 mos, so I can't say from experience. I will say once he started solids his poo got stinkier and his sleeping got even sounder...from 10 hour stretches at night to 14-15 hour stints. AWESOME He woke up happier and more active than ever!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#4 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you have a 5 year who who has never had solid foods then yes you have a problem. A 7 month old, not a problem. I had one kid that wasn't that interested in solid foods until about 1.5 years old, I just offered, and she either would eat or didn't, but nursed constantly. She is 7 now and eats everything in sight. I know a lot of moms that do not introduce solids until age 1. I follow baby's lead, for DD2 and DS, they have wanted some food around 9 months or so.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

I also read recently that allergies might actually increase if foods are offered before 4 months or after 8 months, but it surprised me to read that!

I tend to think that you should follow baby's lead...if baby is showing interest in food, then try giving her some pieces of soft banana or avocado and see what she does. If she picks it up, puts it in her mouth, and swallows pieces of it, then she's ready to eat. If she can't or doesn't put it in her mouth (just plays with it) or if she chokes/gags/vomits, then she might need more time. Just keep offering it as long as she is showing interest.

Meal time should be all about exploration and new tastes/textures for the first year or so.

But I am on the look out for new research since I've heard of this!

FWIW...I have two kids with intolerances...my oldest son started solids just before 6 months, and has a gluten sensitivity (not sure if it's true celiac or just reactive to gluten). My middle son started solids around 9 months and has a dairy and soy sensitivity. Makes for interesting meal times in our house!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#6 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM

I don't see how you can be "too late"... ??? Your child will have to eat regular food eventually unless you plan to come to the dorm to nurse.

It's frustating how these guidelines keep changing. My DD is almost 7 months and has only had a little cereal and a little banana. She just isn't interested in anything else.
#7 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I know everyone says "when they show interest" but frankly she wants to grab EVERYTHING and put it in her mouth. Most sources seem to assume that parents will want to push solids ASAP- I'm coming at it from the angle of delaying as long as possible, because none of that other stuff is as good for her as mama's milk!
She did just start doing something that makes me think she might be getting interested- if I'm holding her and put a bite of food in my mouth, she grabs my cheek and smiles and laughs like "hey, that was great! How did you do that?"
Thanks,
Sarah
#8 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachthief View Post
she grabs my cheek and smiles and laughs like "hey, that was great! How did you do that?"
Crippled. by. the. cuteness.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#9 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 AM

My little guy, also seven months, sees me chewing and does this big exaggerated chewing motion with his mouth... very cute!

I've tried to delay solids with all my kids, and each one has started earlier than the one before. My now-three-year-old started solids at 5 1/2 months because I felt like I was torturing her withholding them... but she wasn't all that interested in them and they didn't replace mama's milk at all (no reduction in nursing whatsoever... if anything an increase as she got older) until she was over a year old.

My little guy now started at 5 months (I SO wanted to wait, but again, it seemed like I was just torturing him!)-- he liked it, but didn't really know what he was doing and didn't really consume all that much... maybe a couple teaspoons every couple days. Then all of a sudden he got the hang of it and he opens up for the spoon and loves it. It hasn't slowed his nursing down at all (we do still limit his solids-- he would likely eat more than we offer). We offer little bits of banana, avocado, puffed rice, etc, but it's mostly to keep him busy while we eat because he doesn't actually get it into his mouth except occasionally by accident... in fact, he doesn't really like banana at all, so if he does get it in his mouth he makes a very disgusted face!

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#10 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 AM

Does anyone have a link to this study? I'd love to read how it was done.

I can easily see how there could be a correlation with babies who naturally aren't interested in solids and risk for allergies. But, it could be explained in other ways that don't equal to later introduction CAUSES allergies. Could be the natural desire just wasn't there so they were fed later, not because the parents chose it that way. I'm just really curious how this study was done, if there is proof of causation...
#11 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM

There are studies showing all sorts of things in relation to solids.

If your child is trying to make a grab for your food then they are probably ready. There isn't a real reason to delay solids after six months. Between six months and a year solids are generally more for experimenting than eating but they need that experimenting time.

I would give them bits of things off my plate.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM

my DS just started solids at 11months 2 weeks and I could not have forced him into it any earlier. I intended to follow BLW but didn't expect it would take this long but it's just how it happened... I trust the body to do things at the right time, we have no family history of allergies and like I said - I couldn't have gotten him to eat solids any sooner

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#13 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM

AAP recently switched to recommending 4-6 months to start solids based on whether baby is showing readiness signs or not.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page