Quoted: 0 Post(s)
about ten minutes here at 5mos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
She's 5weeks and 3 days and I can set her down for between 5 minutes and six hours depending on how sleepy. During the day she'll take about 3 one-two hour naps. and frequently lay happily in her basinette while i'm doing something nearby for up to 30 minutes.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#3 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
20-30 minutes or so. She can stay under her play mat for at least 20 min and I can usually get 15 out of the bounceroo thing to make dinner. She is 7 months and just starting to like to really play with toys, so she can now be put down for a while.
#4 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 PM

it really depends.

if he is interested in what I'm doing and he's in the bumbo or propped with pillows in front of me I might get 10-15 minutes. if I leave the room it's generally a lot less unless he is very interested in a toy or the cat. sometimes for naps he'll sleep in the crib for 45mins-an hr but usually he's on me.

ds is 5.5 months

eta we don't have an exersaucer or jumperoo but he might like that. stroller is too big to use indoors
#5 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM

Depends on his mood. Some days he's content to sit in his stroller exploring his toes while I do the dishes/clean the kitchen. Other days he screams if I put him in it. If he's in the right mood, I can strip his diaper off and let him roll naked on the bed for 20 minutes or more. Other days he'll fuss and fuss and fuss after the novelty wears off (about 5 minutes).

Almost 5 months.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My DD is 6mo..

She'll play by herself with toys or food for a while, maybe 15-20 minutes at a time. She's really easy going and will usually be happy doing whatever.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#7 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM

I think there was a question similar to this, around a month or so ago, that had a poll that went with it. Maybe try to search that and you will get even more answers.

My son is a little over 5 and a half months. After he wakes up, I can put him down for up to an hour or a little over, if I wanted to. That is usually when I do his tummy time, let him play with toys, put him in his chair in the kitchen, outside on a blanket while I play with the dog or any other little place. He loves playing with his toys. Once he starts to gets closer to his next nap time or bed time, he wants to be held. If he is in his stroller or in the car, he is pretty good. As long as he is moving, no problems there. He sleeps for longer periods in his crib then he does next to me in the bed.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#8 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 AM

Charlotte is 6 months this week and she'll stay 'down' for the whole time she's awake if there is enough entertainment (so 2 hours?) But she's also absolutely content to be a hip baby for that entire time as well.....and sometimes she'll put her foot down and demand to be held the whole time she's awake too. Just depends on her mood. Every baby is different. She will roll around on the floor - stand in the exersaucer, sit in the high chair, go in her stroller, lay on her tummy and watch Baby Einstein....she absolutely sucks at sitting in the bumbo, which is sad bc the other babies have always loved to sit in that on the counter next to me while I do dishes, etc. yk?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#9 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM

4.5 months here and I'd say probably only 15 min at a time. He's better at being "down" if he's recently up from a nap (i.e. not tired). He likes the exersaucer and the play mat for about 15 min at a time. He's happy in the stroller for longer--up to 30-40 min--as long as we are outside and I keep moving. He loves to lay on the bed with me as long as I am talking/singing/tickling him. . .so it is a break for my arms, but its not a time I can get anything else done.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#10 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Right after a nap, with a clean diaper and a full tummy, I can get about a 30-45 minute stretch. 15-20 is more typical though. DD is 8 months.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#11 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 AM

not long. 10 mins is a stretch. i hold her about 20 hrs/day, dh does about 2 hrs/day. the other 2 hrs are little tidbits of me putting her down and racing do to something with dd3 or house work. she's very attached!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#12 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM

DS is 6 months and will stay down 45 minutes to an hour usually. He likes to play with his toys and crawl around.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#13 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Wow! What easy going babes!

When awake, I can leave my 7.5 month old for about 15-20 minutes and I think that's pretty impressive! That's with her entertaining herself. She got alot easier when she could sit up by herself and push up off her belly.

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#14 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Between 5 - 10 minutes at almost 3 months. She's always in arms.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
#15 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
about ten minutes here at 5mos.
I get at max that he's 4.5 months. I also can rarely wear him, or do anything. He's decided he hates any and all carriers, it's a hard situation right now. I'm getting tension headaches and serious back pain from never getting a break. He is laid back and happy if carried all.the.time.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not at all, and he's 4.5 months. He cries the second your hands are off of him. I'm so tired!

-- on second thought, he can go in the swing or papasan chair for 10 -15 minutes if you keep talking to him. but leaving him even slightly unattended (like to go pee?) not happening.

Thank you so much for this thread Octobermoon! There is hope!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#17 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM

About 10-15 minutes at 3 months. She has just figured out that if she kicks her feet in the bouncy it turns on the music and she has fun with that, kicking and laughing. Depends on her mood though.
#18 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM
tzs

depends on the time of day. she's 5 months.

in the am at her happiest she could stay in her crib i'd say 45 minutes to an . but she's not really "alone." i mean, she's got her moose toy and her toes to keep her company.

really in the am i could probably keep it going longer if i moved her to a different area like the floor or the swing.

i'm trying to get my hands on a jumper and i imagine she'll love that and just got a highchais so i kind of want to see how she plays when sitting in it.

i know she's easy...we got lucky with this one.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#19 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM

She went through a phase around 4 months where she was happy to lay on the bed alone for 10 minutes or so.

Now at almost 6 months she's learning all this new stuff on the floor, close to creeping, squirming around more, and she needs more support, so she can handle being down on the floor alone for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. I can't leave her on the bed to play anymore because she's figured out how to scoot off of it! (It's low to the ground, but not low enough to be ccompletely safe.) I think when she gets better at sitting up on her own and reaching for things that have fallen from her hands, I'll be able to set her a few feet away with some toys while I work on whatever I need to do. I hope.

Sometimes she'll happily sit in this rocker seat we have for her, but she recently discovered the concept of "throw the toys out, get them back, throw the toys out, get them back" so it ends up being hard to get other things done.

She doesn't outright scream when I leave her down for too long, just fusses from frustration. Still, I try not to get her in that situation much.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#20 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

My little girl is 4 months old and it really depends. If she has had a nap, a fresh diaper change and been fed I can get 20-30 minutes of her in her exersaucer or playing on the floor. She likes the jumpy for about 15 minutes at the most. She also enjoys her papasan chair when I'm cooking because she can be with me and watch me. She'll last in that situation a long time if she's in a good mood. She also loves to be in the wrap. I think part of the reason she can be put down for so long is because there is always someone talking to her or paying some sort of attention to her because she has 4 older siblings. It takes some of the pressure off of me.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#21 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Awake? She's happy in her stroller or car seat for a while--we take her to dinner all the time and she'll smile or snooze from her seat.

She takes a few couple hour naps/day in her co-sleeper just fine (though sometimes I have her on my chest just to snuggle with her).

Sometimes though she doesn't want to be put down at all (and I rarely do at home unless she's asleep--if she's awake I have her on my lap or in a carrier)

She's 8 weeks and is a pretty chill baby.
#22 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM

She was ok for a few ten-minute stretches here and there, up until a year old or older. I'm very good now at doing things one-handed!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#23 of 26 Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
She was ok for a few ten-minute stretches here and there, up until a year old or older. I'm very good now at doing things one-handed!
Uh oh! You mean it sometimes gets worse after 1 year old? EEK!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#24 of 26 Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM

If we're home by ourselves, and I set him up with a toy that he likes (and other interesting things in rolling and grabbing distance) and he's in a good mood, I can sometimes walk away for 10 minutes.

It's always a gamble though, and is a big part of why we still don't spend a whole lot of time at home. He's generally much much happier if he's being carried around and can look at things and see people who aren't me throughout the day.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#25 of 26 Old 02-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post
Uh oh! You mean it sometimes gets worse after 1 year old? EEK!
What I meant was that at one year she could go a bit longer. But really she still wants to be with me all the time and I do still hold her a lot!!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#26 of 26 Old 02-20-2010, 04:56 PM

for a nap? Never. She only naps in the sling. If we put her down, she wakes. Every. Time.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page