How do you safely cut DC nails? We keep hurting our DD-so sad! Should I bite them? Get a new contraption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night we resolved to cut DD (7 months) nails as we were tired of being mauled! I have let DH do all the nail cutting as I like having one duty that he is responsible for. I hold and distract DD. A couple months ago he accidently cut both her thumbs and she bled but we got it quickly under control. Last night, she bled so much it was horrifying! Pressure would not stop it and she just cried and cried. Keeping the hand under cold running water helped and putting a bandaid helped keep constant pressure and finally did the job. So sad and scary!

I've read about electric nail files that do the job without cutting the baby but the one I looked at on amazon had reviews that said it worked only till three months.
Any recommendations? We already have the nail clipper with magnifying glass but DH doesnt use the magnifier.
Should I just bite the bullet and take this over too?
Do any of you successfully cut babies nails without ever hurting them?
And for those who bite your babis nails off-how do you do this?
Anyone have a different contraption-like the electric file- that works for you?

Thank you for your help-I never want to go thropugh what we did last night again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I use an emory board because I was warned in the hospital that baby nail clippers are dangerous. Still, sometimes I think I am sharpening the nails rather than dulling them.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I've never mastered nail clippers on a baby.

I just keep a regular nail file nearby and file nails whenever I notice they need smoothing. Most of the time its while I'm nursing.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just filing! How smart! I never thought of this! Do you do this alot then? For 10 fingers and 10 toes, I think I'd be at it constantly!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM

I hate the baby clippers. We use regular adult ones. I lay DS on the floor and hover over him with my head towards his feet. I wear a pretty and dangly necklace and he plays with that while I cut. Once in awhile I nick him, but I've noticed if I keep them slightly long it works better. I just have to cut more often.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM

I've always cut my ds's nails without hurting him. I use baby nail clippers because they're not as wide as the adult ones. I always make sure that the end of the blade is beneath his nail only before i clip. If he's really wiggly i'll do it when he's asleep.

Love of our life, born September 2009
Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
I use an emory board because I was warned in the hospital that baby nail clippers are dangerous. Still, sometimes I think I am sharpening the nails rather than dulling them.
lol!!! DS managed to cut himself really badly after we 'dulled' his nails with a file.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Use a nail file. Just get the cheap ones and file away. I used to do it during naps.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

I second using adult clippers. Plus do it while they're sleeping.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

We never had much luck with the clippers, and then someone suggested using baby nail scissors, which we were scared of at first, but actually worked so much better. Some of them are still crap though. The best ones we've found are the Red Cross brand (they came in a baby first aid kit).

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

baby nail scissors are the best, very easy and safe to use. we try to cut while the baby is sleeping or just do a couple at a time to minimize squirming.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM

i grip the finger so that it pulls the pad back leaving the nail sticking out, then only clip after i can tell the blade is under the nail. i have only got her once and that was bc i forgot to pull back on the pad. i didnt get all the way through and there was no blood, just a 6 hour bruise. i only cut her nails when i start to get scratched so maybe once a week.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I also grip the finger so the pad is pulled away from the nail. We use clippers, and haven't had a mishap with them yet. We cut them about once a week. I used to be able to cut them any time, but now I cut them when she's asleep. She's more relaxed and isn't struggling, and I can take my time. I get DP to aim a flashlight on the finger or toe and go to town.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millifiori View Post
baby nail scissors are the best, very easy and safe to use.
I agree. Also, you can cut the nails really short. I tried using a file, but it does seem to just sharpen the nails into little daggers.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl H View Post
I agree. Also, you can cut the nails really short. I tried using a file, but it does seem to just sharpen the nails into little daggers.
Really? I am able to file so smooth, I don't have to worry about the nails for at least 2 weeks.I just run my finger over each nail to see what potentially feels sharp and file down as needed. Or I use the file to soften the nail, then peel it off, then file any sharpness remaining.

I only recently started using nail clippers on my son and he's 3. It's just faster and hie has bigger nails now.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 PM

I used to wait until the child was asleep. I just picked the hand up and cut the nails. It's a lot easier when they aren't flailing. I don't know that I could do all 10 fingers at one, but even 2 thumbs and 2 pointers is a big help.

I never once cut my daughters pads and if she started to stir, I would stop and try another day. Works great.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM

I always bit my babies nails. The nails are very soft and easy to chew off, and you can use your mouth to feel how much to bite off. Easy and gentle.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM

I used, (and still use), tiny nail scissors. These work best if you have a still babe, (obviously )

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I always bit my babies nails. The nails are very soft and easy to chew off, and you can use your mouth to feel how much to bite off. Easy and gentle.
I bite my babies' nails too. I started biting my dd's after a horrifying incident like the OP's, where she bled and bled from baby clippers.

I bite my ds's now too, while he's nursing. It usually takes just a nibble on the edge and then they peel off evenly.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

We used to use clippers but have switched to scissors, I find them easier.

Filing took forever, never seemed to get anywhere.

I always do it when dd is sleeping. I use the scissors and cut v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I have never nicked nor woken her but if she stirs I wait.

Why doesn't your DH use the magnifier? If you don't move too quickly the baby will startle before you make any cut that is deep enough to be serious.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM

nak..just want to add
always while asleep and because asleep you can cut same nail a few times so you don't have to make sure you get it all in first try...that way no bleeding. Also I use baby clippers..bright light to see and make sure bottom of clippers is under nail and top of clippers is pulled back and not over nail bed when clipping. It's very easy when they are asleep on you lap. I cut DS nails ever 5 days.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 AM

I only tried the baby clippers once - they were so dull it was like using a butter knife. Ugh! Now I use the adult clippers, and I just grab his hand and pinch his finger between mine, make sure I get the corner of the clipper under his nail only and line it up before clipping. Used to be I could do it while he's sleeping, but now he won't let me, so I try to do it while nursing.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 AM

nak
ugh, i hate the baby clippers! they scare the crap out of me.
i use tiny, sharp embroidery scissors, pull the pads back, when he's asleep, and cut tons of little snips on each nail.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Dd is 8 months and I've never hurt her, however, I had years of practice as a nanny! I've cut a LOT of little nails. One thing I do is use adult clippers, hold baby in my lap and have her distracted by something (usually videos of herself). I angle the clippers a little toward the back of her hand, so they aren't straight on like I would clip my own nails. I then use an emery board to make them nice and smooth. She scratches her head all the time, so I have to do this pretty much every day.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When ds was younger, I always did it when he was sleeping. That way, you have all the time of the world so you're not rushed. I really really like the Red Cross baby clippers. They come with a magnifying glass, which I've never used, because it's just too weird! But, they cut perfectly and well. I don't like filing as it takes too long and raises nail dust that I don't want ds inhaling. Now that he's older, I show him that he's got dirt under his nails (or crayon) and ask him if I can cut his nails. Usually he's fine with it and will stand still and just watch. Sometimes, he's done after only 1 nail is cut, which is ok, because I'll come back to the others after a little while. But yeah, at 7 months, I definitely only did it while he was sleeping...even if you've got 2 people ... it's still too hard to control a squirming little hand. I have to say too, that my brother was too impatient with my nephew a few times cutting his nails (I don't know at what age), but now my nephew (11 years old) refuses to cut his nails...they're really gross with dirt underneath the nails and all that, but I think he just has a bad association with nail cutting...so I've always been very careful with ds' nails.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentroc View Post
I bite my babies' nails too. I started biting my dd's after a horrifying incident like the OP's, where she bled and bled from baby clippers.

I bite my ds's now too, while he's nursing. It usually takes just a nibble on the edge and then they peel off evenly.
me too!

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 AM

I used to cut my little charge's nails often and was fortunate to not have any accidents. I turned the clippers upside down so I could see better when I was trimming, and gently pushed the bottom clipper against the underside of the nail to make sure no skin was going to get in the way before making the cut. I used to do it while she was sleeping, but now her dad wants to be in charge, which is ok with me until she starts scratching herself and me all over. She's 13 months now, so I hold out a finger, and hold it nice and still so her mommy can do the clipping when she needs. It is rarely ever more that one hand at a sitting, but that is better than just letting it go.

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 AM

I've cut many a nail, growing up the oldest in a big household.

But I was unprepared for DD. Her nail pads are fat, I guess? The whites of the nail are still along the fingertips. Even pushing them back didn't clear enough to cut them.

I took to biting them b/c she would not let me cut them.

Bad idea. Don't bite their nails! B/c guess what, they quickly learn to bite their nails! DD is 15 months and a huge nail biter...

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post

Another biter here!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i grip the finger so that it pulls the pad back leaving the nail sticking out, then only clip after i can tell the blade is under the nail.
I do this too. 9mo DS seems to like to watch for about 6 fingers, then he gets squirmy. I then look at the last few and pick the longest to try to at least get one more trimmed. I'm just very careful, I use clippers I'm used to (adult size) and don't trim until I know I have the nail, and I don't try to go too short. I nicked some skin (no blood) the first time I ever did that when he was a few days old and it's never happened since. He sits on my lap and I look over his shoulder to do it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

User Tag List