Skipping the stroller? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
How do they accommodate people with disabilities who can't carry their babies like that?
They let people with wheel chairs go in. As far as I know stroller-pushing is not a protected status in the US.

Melinda
#62 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM

We used a stroller for the first time when DS was almost 2.5. We went to Disney and knew that carrying him between things just wasn't an option. Before that, slings and people's arms. When we went out to eat, he sat with one of us. He never tolerated not being able to look at people so he had to be right there at the table.
#63 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM

I only used a stroller a few times, like when I was at the airport and running to the next flight, I'd put my stuff in it. Then when in the bathroom I'd swap the stuff for the baby so I could use the bathroom and give my back a rest.

He's 7 months now and I just recently bought a stroller he likes. I sat him in them and tested the ones in price range and settled on a good one he didn't fuss in at all. It's not the super light weight like I wanted, but it's still good and he likes it (the biggest factor). He's getting a bit too heavy to carry in the front and I have a hard time getting him in a high back carrying position without help. It's also snowy outside and slippery. I've almost lost my footing several times.

I don't plan on using it all the time, but it will be nice for day walks, or when we're at the mall or other places like the airport (big help there, even if I only put my stuff in it and not the baby!) I do plan on always having the carrier around just in case he gets tired of the stroller. When he can walk I'll get one of those backpack leash products for him so I don't have to hold his hand and end up with a fussy toddler with a tired arm.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#64 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

living on the fifth floor in a building w/ stairs to the entrance, i found carrying dd in a sling the easiest thing until she was about 8 months. liked having her close, reduced chances on strangers touching her etc. then got a running stroller to exercise at 8 months- fantastic. She loves it and naps in it daily.
#65 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
So those of you who never had a stroller...did you just not eat out with your babies until they could sit up in the restaurant high chairs or what? Did you just balance them and stick to cold food?
We ate out a lot before DD could sit in high chairs. I never ate alone. If it was hot food or something extra drippy, DH would hold her while I ate and then vice versa. If it was colder food, I could hold her and feed myself one-handed no problem. Even now I find DD doesn't like sitting in the high chair for very long so she's usually on a lap at some point during the restaurant meal. As long as she has something to entertain her, she's fine, and it didn't take too long to figure out how to eat and hold her at the same time. Heck, I had/still have to do that when I eat lunch at home most of the time.
#66 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So those of you who never had a stroller...did you just not eat out with your babies until they could sit up in the restaurant high chairs or what? Did you just balance them and stick to cold food?
I have actually never seen a stroller in a restaurant before. I do see people use those little slings that hold car seats on them, although we have never used one. My newborns would never be content to sit around in a car seat or stroller like that. I hold them on my lap and eat just like I do at home. If I'm eating hot food I just don't lift the fork over their head and I keep them covered with a blanket in case I drip--I'll drip on the blanket. And I don't order hot soup or coffee.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#67 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM

this is actually one of the reasons we like our "bucket" infant seat; it is good for restaurants while he's small and not sitting up. It fits in the booth next to me, or on one of the sling things. As soon as he can sit upright well, he will be in a high chair, or in the cart when we are shopping, as those things are entirely too heavy to lug around!

as for the stroller, we have one which has been used a handful of times. DS is 3 months, and I bought a Maclaren (fancy umbrella stroller, really) - it reclines, but not all the way, so can only really be used once he had good head control, which was early for him, around 2 months. We use the stroller in places where attaching the bucket seat to a buggy is not an option; like the mall, or a park, etc. It is winter, so I knew we really wouldn't need a stroller to use from birth.

I do carry him often, depending on the store, but I don't always remember to bring a baby carrier with me. I have a sling, which he doesn't really like anymore, and he's not quite big enough for me to use it in a hip carry yet. I like the Moby, and so does he, but I hate lugging all that fabric around. generally I will tie it on me before we head out though. I also bought a Mei Tai, which I do really like, but I got it pretty cheap on eBay and I think there might be something to spending a bit more on one, it would probably be better quality. DH has an ergo, but hasn't used it yet.

That said, DS doesn't always like to be held, he likes the stroller, sometimes. and sometimes he just wants to be held - like when he's getting tired. I think it is worthwhile to have both. FWIW I am not a fan of travel systems, they are large, heavy, and bulky usually. That's why I have the Maclaren, it is lightweight, and folds up small enough it fits nicely in the back of my Scion XB and doesn't take up too much trunk room in DH's car, either. But once the baby is born, you'll figure out what works best for both of you.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#68 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM

DS is almost 2 and rides in his stroller for walks, but I prefer to wear him. I can't get the ergo to be comfortable on my back... And he is way to big to wear on my front. Well, I have before when he was sleeping. Once at a target, he fell asleep in the car and I didn't want to wake him. I got him in the ergo on my front. We were walking around (a very non baby-wearing area) target and a women started laughing when she walked by, looks at her husband and says, "oh my gosh, that baby is as big as that mama".

Baby wearing was def. the main mode of transportation for my lo. Once in a great moon if he fell asleep in the car as a newborn, I would easily transfer him to our combo stroller that I could just click him into the seat...but, that never lasted long.

We used a wrap until about 9 months and then got an ergo. It is def. doable without a stroller.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#69 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
But if she's awake she doesn't mind being in the stroller? Or she stays asleep in a stroller even if it stops moving? It's funny how different babies can be. When mine were little, if they were awake, they probably wouldn't have been happy unless I was holding them. DD also didn't like being in the sling unless I was in motion, but she still wanted to be held. I used to bring the bucket carseat in and keep them in that if we ate out, but if they woke up I'd just have to hold them and eat one-handed. I'd have to do the same thing at home a lot, too, so I got used to it.
oh, no...I only lay her down in it once she has nursed to sleep (which I do before the food comes), and then I keep the stroller jiggling the whole meal with my foot so it doesn't stop moving. At home, I generally do dinner around her napping, which she does in the stroller, so she can be near me and if she stirs while we are eating, I give the stroller a wee jiggle with my foot and I usually buy myself enough time to eat. Or I nurse her and put her back down and then heat up my food. I have done this in restaurants, too when ds was small (he was not as good a napper) and then just sent my meal back to the kitchen to be reheated. They are usually really nice about it.

I just never got used to eating with a child on my lap. I must be the odd one out, but I enjoy the eating experience (especially in restaurants) WAY too much to have to multi-task while eating. I'd quite seriously rather not eat. When ds was sick or teething (meaning in arms constantly for days) I recall not eating much unless dh could give me a break. Ill NAK all day, but eat? No thanks. I've seen friends do it and I always offer to take the baby for a walk or just hold the baby for a while so they can enjoy their meal. maybe I was chef or a food critic in my last life. My feelings on food border on dysfunctional. I do know that, but everyone in my family is like that so I never thought it was sooooo weird...until now.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#70 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

DD was in the Bugaboo in the beginning but we quickly made the transition to carriers and we were all happier for it. Went to the Bahamas when she was 15 mos. with just my babyhawk and Psling. AND she is low-toned to boot, she didn't carry any of her weight. With DS, he was in a carrier since day one. We bought a Phil and Ted thinking that we'd need it with 2 kids. Used it just a handful of times. I supposed its very personal but we've been very happy babywearing.

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#71 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM

I have a stroller but I've barely used it for my 17 month old. I definitely could have just saved the money and gone without it. It's just collecting dust in my basement now.

I'm Theresa. nursing, baby-wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping mama to Clara (9/08) and wife to Mike
#72 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
we eat out quite a bit and I usually have ds in the moby or beco. I let my food cool to comfortable eating temp.. and yeah, I've spilled on him but it's no big deal.

I've only used our stroller a handful of times - when I've gone to the dr. I tried using it for walks but prefer to wear him. ds goes everywhere with me and it's a lot easier to pop him in a carrier rather than loading/unloading a stroller.
#73 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is 5 months. we barely use our stroller-- not a great purchase. A carrier is the way to go!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#74 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM

I use my Kelti Carrier now when walking/hiking. But, I do have a Bugaboo and am glad because my son has two grandmas who are very involved in his life and the stroller makes it very easy for them.

We also use it in the summer more since it has a really good shade. It is great if he wants to nap at the pool.
#75 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 PM

The only stroller I ever used was a jogger for roller blading. I LOVE babywearing. I wish I had extras that I could hand out when I see some poor mama lugging around a big heavy carseat. I just leave my carseat in the car where it belongs.

I use a pouch mostly for when they are smaller and when they get bigger I use the MT. I have a shower pouch that we wear her in the shower. DH prefers a MT over a pouch so when he wears here when we go out that is what he uses. I sometimes even wear my 35 lb 4 year old in the MT with a back carry. esp when we are out hiking and he gets tired.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#76 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
If the baby isn't fussy I just hold them in one arm while I eat with the other. If they are fussy I just nurse them while eating. I've never had a problem eating out with an itty bitty.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#77 of 77 Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm totally attached to the Ergo, in the house, out of the house, for walks, etc. But every now and again I go shopping for ME and when I know I'm going to be trying clothes on, the umbrella stroller goes in the car. This has happened like 3 times. Othewise, the stroller just sits in the garage.
I have a jogger that I'm looking forward to this summer to go for really long walks. But DS is 5 months now and i'm still just enjoying wearing him. He's too far away in the stroller!!!

woohoo I'm a mommy! Lil man born 9-12-09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page