Clammy hands & Feet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have a babe with clammy, sweaty little hands & feet? I don't remember DS1 being like this at all. It seems he is always cold & sweaty, but only his hands and feet. Hmm...he is 8 weeks old if that is any help. I don't think I should be worried, it just seems weird.
#2 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM

My DS is like this sometimes. I guess I never thought anything about it until I saw your post! Hes 3 mo, but I've noticed it since he was born.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#3 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't know what it is. They seem sweaty, and that makes them cold in turn. Odd, definately. He's generally happy as a clam, but he's got some cold sweaty appendages!
#4 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 07:48 PM

I was just talking about this at work today! I never recall ds having such alarmingly cold and clammy hands... dd always does! Some people mentioned that they thought sometimes baby's extremeties are often clammy/sweaty because of underdeveloped sweat glands. others said it was a circulatory thing ...but that putting your hand on their chest/tummy is a better indicator of if they are cold or not.

2004 2009
#5 of 12 Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Yes, my son has this same problem. The sad thing is that I am not as puzzled about it, because he got it from me. As long as I can remember, I have always had clammy hands and feet. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, if I'm relaxing or nervous, or even have just woken up. It just comes out of nowhere for no reason and goes away just the same. Hyperhidrosis, I believe is the name.
I just feel so bad that of all the traits he could have gotten from me, he got this...

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#6 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM

my daught has this, she gets it from dh who is the same way. as long as she doesnt have afever, it doesnt bother me

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#7 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

DD2 was like that as a new baby, but she's since outgrown it. I don't remember when I stopped noticing it though.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#8 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM

My four year old son is exhibiting this too and in our case it is due to hyperhidrosis.  I also have hyperhidrosis that affects my hands and feet.  I'm just sad that he has to deal with this too.  I was hoping with all my heart that this difficult, herditary affliction would skip him.  But it appears to be starting already.  Do any other moms out there want to swap notes about their experiences with this and their kids? I was a in my teenage years when I started experiencing hyperhidrosis and I'm just hoping my son can enjoy most all of the "normal" kid things without too much trouble or embarrasment.   I would love to hear from some moms who are dealing with this too! Thanks! :)

#9 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM

My 4 month old DD has the sweatiest feet! She does get cold without socks on. She's a very sweaty baby. I have hyperhidrosis in my armpits which was horrible in jr. high, so hoping she doesn't have it as well and its just a phase. I keep apologizing to her ;).

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 12 Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Do you allow your baby to be in the sun for short periods of time? 10-15 min?  From a complete stranger I got this, which I thought was a bit of complete quackery, but I tend to consider alternative points of view and I filed it away... They said to that a baby with sweaty feet needs to be in the sun more to gain vitamin D and the clammy feet will not be as clammy.  How or why that is I don't know..

#11 of 12 Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 PM

I have hyperhidrosis and had surgery for it a few years back - it really helped. My baby (almost 3 months) already has very cold, clammy hands and feet. There are treatments that can be done when she gets older (other than surgery) but I feel bad she has to experience this for now. I'm going to see if it continues (some say they grow out if it) and i will look into homeopathic remedies, as they are natural and can be given to infants with no side effects.
#12 of 12 Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Both my kiddos were really sweaty when they were tiny, but they outgrew by a few months...

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page