7 months and still nursing through the night... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby co-sleeps with us and has been on solid foods for a month now. He STILL wakes every hour or two to nurse. I know he does not NEED the milk but is nursing for comfort. Is there something else I should be doing? Am I setting a bad habit. Also, I started back to work 2 1/2 days a week so I justify his all night eating as bonding time for us but friends, MIL, Dr. etc. tell me I am wrong to let him do this all night. I am not exhausted and get enough sleep I just don't want to be teaching him a bad sleep pattern. Any suggestions?
#2 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 PM

Perhaps your son is reverse cycling.. Sometimes with bf-ed babies, when their moms are away during the day when the would normally be doing their gobs of nursing, the eat little during the day.. Just to assaige their hunger, and then really eat all night long.. To reconnect with momma.. And to fufill their nutritional requirements..

Here is a good link about reverse cycling

I hope this helps you.. If it makes you feel any better my ds3 is 7 1/2 months old, and just this last week started giving me 3 hr stretches at night..

Warm Squishy Feelings.

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 PM

dd is almost 9 months old and still gets up every 2 hrs or so..i thought that was normal...

then again she wont eat solids yet either...
as for me i really believe they know what's best for them in terms of breastfeeding...

i'll be watchin to see what others have to say....

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 04:47 PM

It is perfectly normal for a 7 month old to nurse often at night, my ds nursed every 1.5 hours around the clock at that age. Dd is only 5 months but nurses at least every hour at night (I WAH now, but didn't with ds). I guess you can debate if a baby "needs" to nurse at night but it is normal. If you are rested enough I wouldn't worry about it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He may still need to nurse at night. He could be thirsty or need to be close to you. Even if he doesn't "need" it for food, there are other reasons that babies want to nurse and those are valid too. It sounds like you're dealing with criticism from other people about something that isn't any of their business. Maybe this link could help:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/criticism.html

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 05:21 PM

My 10 month old still nurses through the night. I don't complain too much. My daughter is already 9 years old so I know the time will fly.
#7 of 13 Old 02-29-2004, 07:42 PM

I've been wondering the same thing... but at my dd's 9 month visit, I asked the doc and he urged me to continue bfing at night because she is dropping a little in weight percentile. I had assumed that she did not "need" to nurse at night, but turns out I was wrong. Definitely check with your doc before you try any night weaning. And I hope you get some sleep soon!
#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 AM

My DD is 15.5 months old, and she still nurses at least twice during the night. She is not reverse-cycling; I am a SAHM and am with her 24 hours a day. She eats 3 meals of solids each day, with snacks in between. Sometimes the snack is nursing, sometimes it's fruit.

In my opinion, she needs to nurse at night. Either she is thirsty or hungry or just needs help getting back to sleep during a brief wake-up. It doesn't bother me too much; I just get closer so she can latch on, and I go back to sleep. Of course, I wouldn't mind if she started sleeping straight through the night, but I don't feel I have much "choice" in the matter. Why would I sit up and rock her or try some other method of getting her back to sleep? That would require that I wake up and lose out on sleep. By nursing her, I can go right back to sleep.
#9 of 13 Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 AM

My girl nurses through the night, too. I also feel I get plenty of sleep and really need those extra cuddles to make up for being gone from her full-time.
She recently went through a phase of waking and crying several times a night, and that was wearing me out terribly, but just snuggling and nursing doesn't bug me.
And my older 3 kids, who all did the same, all sleep through the night in their own beds every night now. They do grow up.
#10 of 13 Old 03-01-2004, 03:13 AM

Very normal and very o.k! My ds nursed constantly at night unitil her was 12 m. Then, it decreased, but he still nursed. At 18 months, when it seemed right for him and when I really couldn't do it anymore, I weaned him from night nursing

I'd keep it up if I were you!
#11 of 13 Old 03-01-2004, 11:58 AM

When I went back to work with DS he did the same thing. For quite a while. It does slow down. There could be lots of reason.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#12 of 13 Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, my worried mind is put to rest.
My gut told me everything was O.K.
however getting feedback from others really helps.
They do get big so fast I am just going to enjoy the
night feedings and cuddlings and ignore the Doctor
and Mother in law on this one. Thanks again
#13 of 13 Old 03-04-2004, 03:38 PM

Good for you. I say if it feels right to you then keep it up. My son is almost 8mos and he still nurses most of the night. He doesn't really care for solids and I am home all day with him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page