When to start covering up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The "when to shower" thread reminded me to ask - when do you other Moms start to cover up around your babes? I'm just guessing that it will eventually seem weird to me to walk around naked in front of my son, but I don't know when that happens...is it when my son starts averting his eyes?

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.
#2 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM

You might need to ask in "The Childhood Years" for this one.
#3 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM

I grew up in a house where nudity was a very natural thing, is not like we were walking around naked and I did always change in my room or the bathroom, because it wasnt like we were exhibitionist, but at the same time it wasnt a big deal if someone (in my family) saw me naked.

I do cover up in front of my stepson and ask him to leave the room if Im gonna change or whatever, but mostly because I think his mom would find it very strange if Im changing in front of him or things like that and I respect that.
#4 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM

I guess it depends on you.

IMO if either is uncomfortable it should stop. DS is 3 1/2 and DD is 5 we still all shower together.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#5 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
You might need to ask in "The Childhood Years" for this one.
True!

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.
#6 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM

My babes are 5.5 (DD) and 4 (DS) years old, and I still (as DH puts it) parade around naked all the time. Well, from the shower to wherever my clothes are, anyway (upstairs in the bedroom? Down the basement in the dryer?). When either of the kids grows uncomfortable with my nudity (or on the day when the nice Mormon boys come back to discuss religion and instead see me marching naked across the living room), I'll do something about it. Meanwhile, I think it's a good message, especially to DD, that I'm comfortable in my imperfect body.
#7 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
My babes are 5.5 (DD) and 4 (DS) years old, and I still (as DH puts it) parade around naked all the time. Well, from the shower to wherever my clothes are, anyway (upstairs in the bedroom? Down the basement in the dryer?). When either of the kids grows uncomfortable with my nudity (or on the day when the nice Mormon boys come back to discuss religion and instead see me marching naked across the living room), I'll do something about it. Meanwhile, I think it's a good message, especially to DD, that I'm comfortable in my imperfect body.

This is exactly how I feel.
#8 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM

DS is 2 1/2 and recently asked me where my penis was. It was the first time I really thought about this - not so much that I am uncomfortable, but just that he is starting to notice the differences between boys and girls. It opened up a good channel for communication and learning opportunity.

I think that every family is different and whatever you decide will be just fine. Some people like more privacy and others aren't bothered by nudity at all. For us, I simply cannot get dressed or take a shower without my son being involved - he is constantly seeking me out and wanting to be with me no matter what I am doing. I am sure someday this will change, but for now its okay.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#9 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Hmm. Growing up my parents were often in various states of undress. They changed with their bedroom door open and adjusted the heater at night in their underwear. I think they stopped when my brother and I started being grossed out or embarrassed when we saw them. Maybe 11 years or so?

#10 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM

I grew up in a house where nudity was very natural, and we didn't even think about covering up until puberty. Before then even my dad would walk from the bathroom to bedroom naked - that stopped about the time he started dating again (when I was 12).

My adopted mom was even more open about it - she would be topless in front of us pretty much until the kids moved out.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Hmmm I think whenever you aren't comfortable I guess? My 9 yr old DD and 7 yr old DS see me naked all the time, and likewise for them. DH isn't comfortable about being totally nude anymore. His choice.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#12 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM

IDK... DS1 is nearly 3 (bday on monday, aah!!) and I'm just now starting to wonder about that... I'm thinking I"ll start caring when he does
#13 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthKathy View Post
The "when to shower" thread reminded me to ask - when do you other Moms start to cover up around your babes? I'm just guessing that it will eventually seem weird to me to walk around naked in front of my son, but I don't know when that happens...is it when my son starts averting his eyes?
Around then, yeah. Or when he starts covering up around you. For me, it was around puberty (probably age 11) that I started covering up around my parents, and they took their cues from me and did the same.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#14 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM

When he starts getting uncomfortable or you do. Really if it bothers no one, then why make the change?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#15 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM

I finally believe my dp that ds is more aware than I give him credit for when he tried to LIFT MY LEG to see where the baby was going to come out. He just couldn't believe I had an extra hole down there despite repeated explanations.

I have been sure to bring my undies into the bathroom with me since that experience.

I walk around in my underwear sometimes in front of him though. But he is WAAAAY too interested in private parts for me to be naked in front of ihm. Plus he told our friends that "mommy no have penis, mommy has a fat belly. mommy got naked with messy hair." .

I don't think it is *wrong* per se for kids to see their parents in various stages of undress. But I do value social norms to an extent and the reality is taht in the real world (here, anyway) they will have to learn that certain body parts are only exposed under certain circumstances. i.e. there is nothing *wrong* with my floppy breasts, but that doesn't mean the UPS guy wants to see them, so I cover up before opening the door. so I do see a valid reason for starting to cover up in front of kids. But I didn't worry about that until well past age 1 and closer to 2. Definitely not as a baby!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#16 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Yes, it does go with personal comfort level I guess. I was never really comfortable walking around naked, while my dh was. My son was clearly not comfortable seeing me undressed after the age of 3 or so. I respected that, because I would not feel comfortable looking at my mom or dad naked either! I don't see it as being embarassed of your own body, but just shyness or modesty. My daughter is 4 and she prefers to change "in private". She wants the door to her bedroom closed, and I told my son to respect that. They share a room for now, and I think there's nothing wrong with starting with some boundaries at this point. That being said, they will still run around naked sometimes or change in the same room, have a bath together, etc. But when someone wants privacy they get it.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#17 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm not ready to cover up yet (my oldest DS is 5) - I like the freedom of not worrying about closed doors. Plus I need to be accessible for my kids when I shower - so I leave the door open. But my 5 and 3 year old DSs did find it VERY funny to run in and out of my bathroom the other day after I got out of the shower screaming and laughing "Ooh GROSS! I see your VAGINA!!"

So maybe it's not too far off...

#18 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM

Well my folks started to close the bathroom door when I was 12. I was kinda bummed because when a parent sat on the toilet I knew I had a captive audience :P.
#19 of 25 Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post
I grew up in a house where nudity was a very natural thing, is not like we were walking around naked and I did always change in my room or the bathroom, because it wasnt like we were exhibitionist, but at the same time it wasnt a big deal if someone (in my family) saw me naked.

I do cover up in front of my stepson and ask him to leave the room if Im gonna change or whatever, but mostly because I think his mom would find it very strange if Im changing in front of him or things like that and I respect that.
this is me. i have 2 teenage dss and they stare when i bf!

my children started asking for privacy around age 9.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#20 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 AM

Chamomile Girl, that is hilarious. I think the same thing about my husband. I tell him he better close the door if he doesn't like it!
#21 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Well my folks started to close the bathroom door when I was 12. I was kinda bummed because when a parent sat on the toilet I knew I had a captive audience :P.
I still barge in on my mom sometimes when I'm visiting her. : She doesn't mind, it's just the way things have always been.

Growing up, it was never a big deal for my mom to be naked around us. I think she started covering up more when my older brother hit 12 and I was 10. My dad has always covered up with underwear, but it was not (still is not) uncommon to see him trooping around the house in his undies. Not something anyone would want to see but totally normal and not harmful.

DH's adult sisters still change in front of their mom.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#22 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Well, we live in a hot country and we are all usually as naked as we can be for as long as we can.

I imagine somewhere around puberty this will start to make ds uncomfortable and we will start wearing robes or something. Every family is different.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#23 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM

I'm not there yet, but I would guess puberty for a child of opposite sex and never for a child of the same sex.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#24 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM

I grew up in a household where you always covered up and nudity among eachother was not acceptable.

I have made a point to NOT cover up around ds and have nudity be something that is normal and comfortable among family. Ds is now 4.5 yrs and I still jump in the shower and change in front of him. He has always been more than comfortable to be naked around us and in the house. We usually have a tough time keeping clothes on him!
#25 of 25 Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I got a kick out of this one. My oldest is 7 and all the 3 DC usually end up circling around DH while he is on the toilet, babbling about something.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page