When did you/will you stop washing baby's new clothes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
I have never thought about it before...but I am thinking now.

I seriously can say with all certainty and sincerity this has NEVER occurred to me before now.
Smallpox was once spread through blankets. This really isn't a new idea. Some historians believe it was deliberate, others say unintentional, but the results were the same either way.

Quote:
Letters exist between two other British officers, Jeffrey Amherst and Henry Bouquet, that explicitly advocate the idea of using smallpox-infested blankets to kill Indians.[22]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populat...genous_peoples

Quote:
Infectious diseases are typically spread through close contact, such as hugging, kissing, sharing clothing, bedclothes, or eating utensils and cups, and being generally affectionate.
http://www.medical-look.com/Infectious_diseases/

Of course, that all centers on disease and doesn't even start to look at just the chemical factors..
#32 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Smallpox was once spread through blankets. This really isn't a new idea. Some historians believe it was deliberate, others say unintentional, but the results were the same either way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populat...genous_peoples

http://www.medical-look.com/Infectious_diseases/

Of course, that all centers on disease and doesn't even start to look at just the chemical factors..

Yeah, I know pre-washing is not a new idea, it's just I never really thought about The Gap being a host for germ/chemical warfare. I wasn't aware they were in cohoots with the imperial forces.

Just kidding. I do know the history of the US forces and their genocidal war on the indigenous people of North America...I just never connected those thoughts to my wardrobe today. It's never really been done in my family or my husband's. We all wear things off the rack and dress our kids in the same.

But it's definitely giving me something to think about. Scary stuff.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#33 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

I have never thought about it before...but I am thinking now.

So...for those who wash EVERYTHING before you wear it, does that go for Dry clean only too? Do you take things to the cleaners before you use them? Do you have quilts and duvet covers dry cleaned before using them?

I seriously can say with all certainty and sincerity this has NEVER occurred to me before now.
I've never had an allergic reaction to trying on new dry-clean only clothes. But I also don't take my dry-clean only clothes to the dry cleaners because I know those chemicals are toxic. Instead, I wash them in the washing machine with soap nuts and iron them myself. They come out great. It's amazing and sooo much cheaper, not to mention better for me. It's mostly "permanent press" clothing that is treated with sizing, i.e. formaldehyde, which again is a known carcinogen. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/formaldehyde

Quote:
Formaldehyde has been classified as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (see Question 4).
Quote:
1. What is formaldehyde?

Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling chemical that is used in building materials and to produce many household products. It is used in pressed-wood products, such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard; glues and adhesives; permanent-press fabrics; paper product coatings; and certain insulation materials. In addition, formaldehyde is commonly used as an industrial fungicide, germicide, and disinfectant, and as a preservative in mortuaries and medical laboratories.

Living happily and loving it!
#34 of 35 Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 AM

I still wash my 7 year old's clothes before he wears them (and obviously the toddler). I'm not as diligent about the grownup clothes when purchased new though I should be.

The second hand stuff always gets washed (including the dry clean stuff - I wash it myself) if I can get it away from my husband before he wears it. That grosses me out but he doesn't care. Ick.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#35 of 35 Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I never used to wash new clothes, but once I started doing it for the baby I decided it was a good habit and have been doing it for my own clothes as well. (DH does his own laundry.) This thread has definitely made me more aware of just WHY this is such a good idea!

Not washing new clothes is an old habit - in the past I've had so many things shrink or bleed after washing that I want to make sure I get "one good wear" out of things before I risk ruining them. This hasn't actually happened to me in a long time, since over the years I've gotten better about reading labels and buying comfortable sizes and purposefully avoiding stuff I know is easily ruined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page