When did you/will you stop washing baby's new clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
before s/he wears them for the first time?

I know everyone washes all the newborn clothes before the baby wears them. I've continued that & still wash all new stuff before he gets to wear it. But, I was just wondering, when do others stop doing this? Have you stopped yet? If not, when do you think you will?

TIA!!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#2 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I always wash everyone's new clothes before we wear them.
#3 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 PM

I wash everything new, for everyone in my family, and always have. I'm not a germaphobe, but I don't know what kinds of chemicals might be on them, or who has been handling them.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
: I also wash everybody's 2nd hand clothes before wearing them the first time.

The only things I don't pre-wash are underpants that come in sealed packages, and socks and bras (even if they've been hanging on a busy store rack, unsealed). I probably pre-washed the newborn sized socks, since I was washing everything else for baby and it was easy to toss the socks in with the rest of the load- but by the time the baby needed more socks (either becuase she or he had outgrown the newborn size, or because they fell off and got lost and needed to be replaced) I didn't bother pre-washing them.

Oh, and I no longer pre-wash anything of DD1's. She usually washes them herself. So I guess the answer to your initial question is "I stop pre-washing baby's clothes when she starts doing her own laundry. "

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM

I wash all clothing for everyone before anyone wears it. Often garments have finishing sprays on the fabric (ever wonder why garments are so nicely "pressed" looking at stores?) and since I dont know what/where the articles have been its just easier to wash before hand plus the fabric usually feels better after all that stuff is out of it.
#6 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM

I wash everything that is new to us before we wear it.

Melinda
#7 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I wash everything that is new to us before we wear it.
This

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#8 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Me too. Well, mostly everything. DH usually gets sweatshirts and hoodies on his back before I get a chance.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#9 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM

I wash everything before using it. The fabric has been stored in warehouses with rat poison and treated with who knows what kinds of chemicals.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#10 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm hit or miss with this. I'm less likely to wash something I purchase "new" from a store for us or the toddler. Unless I bring it home & am doing laundry right away. On the other hand, I always wash underwear & socks before wearing them. I know, I"m a wierdo.

As for consignment things, usually yes, but just yesterday DS2 puked all over himself and instead of running upstairs to get something new, I threw on the cute outfit I had just got from the upscale consignment shop in our area. I have no rationalle for it really.
#11 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Heck I've been washing most of my own clothing for years before wearing it the first time and I'm a dirty, stinky, sweaty old dude. :-p New clothes almost always seem to have a chemical smell. Plus you can never really be too sure that even packaged "new" clothing hasn't actually been worn and returned by someone, and things I buy on the rack I don't even really want to think about other people trying on when I see some of the other people shopping around me (think shoes, then think of market street in San Francisco!).

I guess I won't be quite as protective when he's getting dirtier than his clothes and I can see making exceptions: like going to a ball game and getting a jersey he'd probably want to wear it right away and I think that would be fine. But as a general policy I think most everything will still be going through the washer first forever.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#12 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 PM

I always* do

*unless they are new clothes/pjs for DS and he absolutely HAS to wear them THIS instant

Julie - Wife to Louis, Mamma to Ben (11/06) and 2
#13 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM

I wash everyone's clothing before wearing. Never know what happened to it before it got to me!
#14 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! You've all sufficiently grossed me out!
Well, not really, but enough that I will continue pre-washing all his clothes. And I'll start washing all mine & DP's too before we wear them. I guess I hadn't really thought to before, but will now.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#15 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM

I pre-wash EVERYTHING. I am not phobic about germs or "toxins", and I didn't always do this (I used to sometimes wear socks or underwear straight from the store) but then I realized what the manufacturing and supply chain of clothing actually looked like, and how much weird stuff I wouldn't want on my skin was likely to be in new textiles.

And I wash used stuff just because I don't know how it's been stored or washed previously (I don't use fabric softener.) - not because I am really worried about dirt or anything. I figure dirt and germs are the least of our problems.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#16 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM

I also wash everything, new or 2nd hand, before any of us wear it.

But wanted to add, our childbirth class instructor said we should wash all non-organic cotton baby clothes twice before wearing because of the pesticides.
#17 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm with everyone else. I prewash everything. But I have a more immediate reason - I'll get hives if I don't.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#18 of 35 Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#19 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Yep, all kinds of dyes and chemicals.. loose threads, packing materials, etc.
#20 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
New clothes are treated with formaldehyde, which is often called "sizing". It repells dirt, prevents wrinkles and fading. It's a poison and carcinogen. I'm allergic to it and have to wash new clothing and bedding about 6 times before I can touch it w/o having a bad reaction. Darker clothing I may have to wash even more times, as it seems to be harder to get it out.

Living happily and loving it!
#21 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabee View Post
New clothes are treated with formaldehyde, which is often called "sizing". It repells dirt, prevents wrinkles and fading. It's a poison and carcinogen. I'm allergic to it and have to wash new clothing and bedding about 6 times before I can touch it w/o having a bad reaction. Darker clothing I may have to wash even more times, as it seems to be harder to get it out.
Yep, this. We have sensitive skin in my family but even if we didn't I would still wash first. Clothes are too rough if they aren't washed first.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#22 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 12:43 PM

We wash first also, everything, I break out in a rash trying clothes on at the store and I'm intensely grossed out by the thought of chemicals all over stuff.

Even though we have more money now than we have ever had, we buy 95% of our clothes used. Many items at Goodwill and The Salvation Army Store are in excellent condition! Reusing clothes seems quite logical for us. The exceptions are underwear, bras and pants and when I find an occasional super deal on the clearance rack. It's just too hard to find pants for my husband in his waist/length combo.

Used clothes get several cycles through the wash because I can't get rid of that GROSS overpowering scent of cheap fabric softener! My sense of smell is acute and it drives me nuts, makes my eyes water, etc.
#23 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. I have a friend in the garment industry,clothes can be sprayed with sizing and such so they hang well on the hanger.
#24 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 AM

I wash everyone's clothes first even mine (I hate that new clothes smell and feel). And secondhand ones often smell of fabric softener, febreeze, etc. so I wash those too (usually twice).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#25 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I pre-wash everything I buy for everybody, new or used, sealed or unsealed. Even the underwear in the sealed packs--hubby is the only one who does not do this.

I just don't know what went on in the factory that put them there and really, I'm *always* doing a load anyway so it's not really that hard to just toss the new stuff in.

plus with used stuff you don't know where it came from or if it was washed before you got it usually (barring stuff from friends)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#26 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM

it all depends on your little one.

my oldest (6 years) has sensitive skin, so i still need to prewash her clothes.
#27 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM

I was everything before it's worn also. For the whole family.
I once had to put a pair of socks on DS moment after we bought them, and I felt really bad, thinking about what kind of nasties could be on them.

Michelle, wife to Ken, momma to Noah
#28 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I wash everything new, for everyone in my family, and always have. I'm not a germaphobe, but I don't know what kinds of chemicals might be on them, or who has been handling them.
#29 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM

I'm a washer...my dh loves to wear new clothing with the sizing still in them but it's chemicals and ick that I don't want absorbed by my kids' skin!!

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#30 of 35 Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Obviously this thread is seriously making me rethink my philosophy on this, but...

I have never pre-washed anything for my kids or my family or myself, nor do I recall my parents ever doing this for us...my mom did wash a bunch of onsies for DD during the first week, but the rest I have just opened up the gifts and put them on her.

I have never had any reaction to new clothes, nor has DS or DH and so far neither has DD.

I have never thought about it before...but I am thinking now.

So...for those who wash EVERYTHING before you wear it, does that go for Dry clean only too? Do you take things to the cleaners before you use them? Do you have quilts and duvet covers dry cleaned before using them?

I seriously can say with all certainty and sincerity this has NEVER occurred to me before now.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page