Mothering Forum banner

when to give sippy cup, and how do you give vit D?

778 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  DevaMajka 
#1 ·
How do you give dc vitamin D drops? I have the stuff that you put a drop on your nipple, but it's not working so well like that. lol. He sees the bottle, and gets really unhappy that he can't have it, and loses interest in nursing.

Which is what brings me to the sippy cup question. It seems to me that if I put a tiny amount of liquid (breastmilk, I guess) in a sippy cup and put a drop of vit D in it, he'd really like that. Is he old enough? Are there any non-plastic sippy cups that are light enough (though he seems pretty strong)?
Are there "safe" plastic sippy cups?

#4 ·
My doctor said that here in Canada, the sun was not strong enough to provide vitamin D except in the summer.

I use the drop on my nipple. I used to use the dropper and it seemed like too much fluid and too many ingredients.

I've heard that sippy cups could be used after 5 months.

#5 ·
I looked at the trivisol, and it has artificial colors etc. I think ds has some sort of food or additive sensitivity, so that's out. sigh.

Good to know about sippy cups. I think I'll try that route next. I bet it would be something fun he'd enjoy doing anyway.

We're in Vancouver, where it's cloudy most of the fall, winter, and spring pretty much. lol. The last few days it's been sunny, but still when we go out it's chilly enough to want his hands and head covered up.

#6 ·
The nipple thing was tricky for me too, so I just drop it directly into DSs mouth. I just get him smiling while he's laying on his back and hold him still long enough for it to drop in. Every now and then I miss his mouth and it ends up on his cheek, but usually it's quick and painless.

I had reservations about supplementing too, after but reading about deficiency consequences, we decided it was right.

#9 ·
Another vancouverite here... I used the D Drops as well, I don't like all the additives in the other stuff. I have been able to teach my 2yr old to open her mouth and DS (9 months) is pretty good about it as well. I also just put it in food, so if your LO is eating solids then just put a drop in whatever they are eating.

Way back when the DDrops website wasn't all messed up there was an FAQ page with references and there was data there that suggested that Vit D retains it's efficacy even when cooked. Less than 5% denaturation I think? I figured that's pretty good so sometimes I put it in whatever I am cooking, even if it's hot. Otherwise just add it to thier food after cooking.

#10 ·
I've never given either one vit d. I try and remmeber to take it for me so that a bit extra passes on in my breastmilk but I really don't worry. While we aren't outside much this time of year, the rest of the year we're out all the time and rarely use sunscreen so it builds up then.

As for sippies. I think we introduced sippies ~8 or 9 months w/ DS1. DS2 is 7 months tommorrow and I'm not quite there yet. He's just starting to eat a few solids, so I'm not worried about extra liquids just yet.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
My doctor said that here in Canada, the sun was not strong enough to provide vitamin D except in the summer.

I think the latest study in Quebec showed that about 60% of us are vitamin D deficient. I've been taking 2000IU a day during pregnancy and I am still low! I just bumped it up to 4000IU a day. sigh.

#12 ·
I put it on my finger and let him suck it off that way. I hope it worked. Now that he's eating a bit of solids it's easy to put it on the second spoonful. Now we do it a lot more consistently than in the quick, drop on boob, get baby on boob days. I usually had my husband help with the manoeuvring back then.

#13 ·
My naturopath said that as long as I take enough (3000 IU should do it), enough should pass into my bm. I live near Seattle and we don't get enough sun until June to make vitamin D (it's cloudy and cool until then for the most part, and we are above the 45th parallel, meaning even if it were sunny in the winter, we woudln't be able to make vitamin D from it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.