Inconsolable, refusing to eat, fighting sleep... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday we went to see auntie and do some shopping. I thought the not eating and mild fussiness was just because of the break in routine. Last night I noticed a bit of a rash on his bottom, nothing major, just some tiny red dots... I put CO on them and it was a lot better this morning. But it took me an hour to get him to sleep last night, screaming the whole time. At 2 am I was making a trip to CVS for some Motrin, which seemed to help a little bit, but he was still screaming. This morning when he woke up he was fine for about an hour, but has been screaming ever since. He only ate enough to take the edge off, def not enough to fill his tummy and is now refusing both breast ad bottle. And now his tummy is covered with the little red dots. I know he's exhausted, but he's just screaming hysterically.

I've left 2 messages for the ped, and it's gotten me nowhere. I don't know if I should try another dose of Motrin - the red dots have me worried. Teething tabs have almost no effect. But he will take a bottle of water/gripe water. He seems to finally be past the ability to fight sleep, but I cannot just listen to him scream all day.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Has he had a fever? Sounds like it might be roseola. My daughter had it when she was a baby. It's very common and not usually very serious. Here's a link
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Roseola

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#3 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

He hasn't had any fever so far as I can tell (hasn't felt hot to the touch). He was sweating last night when I was trying to get him down, but I had him swaddled in my arms while I tried to rock him to sleep.

Still haven't heard back from the ped, and it's almost lunch time.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#4 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM

millie is doing something similar. i think it' teething, but who knows. every time i put her down, she screams until she throws up!!! s to you and mr. a!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#5 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

I'd expect that to be teething related. My oldest always got a little rash on her bottom like the one you are describing when she was teething.

Mama of three.

#6 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Hope you heard from the ped and figured things out. Poor little guy.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#7 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

After I called, chewed them out and threatened to find another ped, I finally got a call from an NP who apologized for the wait - apparently my message got "buried" on the ped's desk (my ped is not in today).

She told me to bring him in with the mix of symptoms he has so they could check for ear/throat infections. We just got home, and the verdict is Coxsackie. By the time we got in there, the rash had migrated to cover his entire body. Luckily the rash doesn't seem to bother him, it's just the sore throat/mouth that's preventing eating.

#8 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Aw, poor baby! Nothing's worse than hearing your LO cry and not knowing how to help. Thank goodness you finally got through to your ped. I hope he feels better soon.

reading.gifwife to superhero.gifDH, mom to bouncy.gifDS (9/24/09) and heartbeat.gifDS (EDD: 4/24/11)
#9 of 11 Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 AM

Poor baby! Glad you got it figured out. Is there anything you can do for his mouth?

#10 of 11 Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
Poor baby! Glad you got it figured out. Is there anything you can do for his mouth?
Motrin/Tylenol for the pain, and if it progresses to visible sores she suggested giving him a 1/2 tsp of Maalox before each meal, as it will coat the sores (which can ulcerate) in his mouth/throat so that eating isn't too painful.

He was still fussy all evening, but after his dose of Motrin he ate 3 times in about 2 hours, and went to sleep with minimal crying (compared to last night anyway).

And my nightly donor called - I had missed pickup last night since I got home late and I'd forgotten to call. When I told her we'd just gotten back from the ped with Coxsackie, she apologized - we got it from her/them. Her little guy was in urgent care last week with a more severe form of it than we seem to have (103 temp, where my guy doesn't have a temp at all). But, at least now I know what the contagion point was.

#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm so glad to hear last night was a bit better. It's so hard when they are sick.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page