cradle cap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is almost 4 months old and has had cradle cap for 2 months now. I have tried a few ways to get rid of it, but it always comes back a day or two later. Is there any reason that it needs to be dealt with, or can I just wait for it to go away on its own? Will it go away on its own?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know of reasons you HAVE to deal with it - maybe another poster will. But we had good success with olive oil and a tooth brush when DS was really young.
It came back about 2months ago. And we nixed it with Tate's "Miracle Conditioner". btw, can I just say this stuff is awesome! Just cleared up a big case of sensitive skin on his back as well.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#3 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM

I don't think it will hurt anything. Fwiw, we had success with olive oil and a very fine comb to clear away the softened dead skin.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#4 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM

organic baby oil and a rigorous massage worked for us.
#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Burt's Bees Baby Oil. Miracle oil. Cold pressed apricot kernal with vitamin e, it will cure any bump, scratch, or scrape. I gave some to my friend who's babe had the worst case of cradle cap I'd ever seen irl and it was gone a few days later. And unlike olive oil, it will absorb completely. And smell a little better.
#6 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probiotics. If you exclusively nurse, just wet your nipple a little and dust it with the probiotic powder. After a few weeks of this, you shouldn't ever see it again.

ETA: Also try to get in more greens if you're nursing, to keep your acidity down.
#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
tzs

the previous posters all have great suggestions but it will go away on it's own.

my sil never does anything with her kids' cradle caps. i think it's kinda gross but it does go away.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#8 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

sorry, wrong message
#9 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 PM

We have had great success with using coconut oil (a generous amount) rubbed in to the scalp and letting it sit all day. Then using a comb or brush to loosen the deposits, then shampooing.

Used sesame and olive oils with DD and hers kept coming back; coconut oil is anti-fungal and I think this is why it's worked better and DS has not had it recur.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#10 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 AM

I tired different oils and methods of massaging and I always thought it was gone. Then the next day the light would hit it differently and I'd see it was all still there. Now we're at 8 months and I hardly notice it, but if I look close, the flakes still abound. If it doesn't bother him and now it's not bothering me, why bother to fight it? One day I guess it'll just go away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page