Is my 3 month old army-crawling?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if you'd call this army-crawling or what, but it's crazy!

As of today (3 months, 1 week) she's started doing this thing when she's on her tummy- she pulls herself forward with her arms, puts her head down, gets her knees up to hip level, then kicks, propelling herself forward. The first time she did it she got almost a foot and a half away from where she started. Her subsequent attempts have been ending in frustrated cries after getting 6" or so, making for inopportune videoing for the family.

What on earth is this!?

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#2 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Sounds like you have an early mover on your hands! That is really young to be "crawling" in any form. Apparently one of my brothers started crawling at 3.5 months, so it happens, but not very often, I would imagine. Hope she lets you get a good video of it soon.
#3 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsister View Post
Sounds like you have an early mover on your hands! That is really young to be "crawling" in any form. Apparently one of my brothers started crawling at 3.5 months, so it happens, but not very often, I would imagine. Hope she lets you get a good video of it soon.
Yay...

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that little stinker, but goodness, I thought I'd have a lot more time with my darling little lump! She's been rolling over b-f and f-b for a week now, but lordy.

To be fair, my husband and I were both walking at 9 months, and my sister's absurdly amazing 14 month old was sitting at 4 months, crawling at 5, and walking, really walking, at 7 months. It seems almost *creepy* to see such a small person wandering around.

This weekend is going to be Live Streaming Baby Central at my house, methinks.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#4 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 PM

we called that "inch-worming" at my house.
#5 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl H View Post
we called that "inch-worming" at my house.
Haha, that's VERY much what it looks like!

#6 of 11 Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM

DD2 did that, and at the same age, too. Be reassured-- she didn't actually turn out to be early with all the motor milestones. Just that one! She wound up being a slower-than-average walker, for instance-- she didn't walk until 15 months. But I could put her down on the floor at 3 or 4 months, and she'd be halfway across the house in almost no time at all, backwards, of course.

Time to babyproof, I'd say. Be really alert for places where she can get wedged or stuck...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM

DD did that at the same age! Now at 6 months she's crawling like crazy. It's nuts!

Married to David since 2/16/08. Baby wearing, breastfeeding, bed sharing, delayed vaxing, cloth diapering, SAHM to Bella, my punctual little girl, born on her due date, 9/3/09
#8 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM

My DD was doing this at the same age, it was so cute. Now at 7 months she is everywhere, pulling herself up on everything and "cruising" along the couch. It is a lot of work, but fun and exciting to see what she will do next!

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#9 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Mine did it too We think it's great he's army crawling because his dad is in the army. So cute
#10 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 PM

My second started that around 3 months, was up fully on hands and knees crawling FAST by 4 months and cruising not long after, so it's very possible. He didn't walk until 10 months (my first was fully sitting at 3 months, crawling at 5 months and walking at 9 months, so I thought FOR SURE he'd be walking before that.)

One word of advice since she's not fast yet, BABY PROOF NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My second was (still is) a bit of crazy little guy, always moving, always climbing *something* and he's three now!

Mama of three.

#11 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Gracie has been the same way! She figured out how just shy of 3 months. and she inches around on her back the same way, she digs her heels in and pushes off, and throws her legs around sideways (kind of like hula hoop style?) to turn. Crazy stuff, I'm not ready for that!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page