Easy breakfast proteins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to offer 8 mo DD protein at breakfast, but cheese seems to keep her up at night, and she doesn't like eggs. Any other easy ideas (or something I can freeze). She's BLW. TIA
#2 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM

You can offer whole milk yogurt. I didn't spoon-feed purees to my little guy, but I did use a spoon to feed him "real" foods that *I* eat with a spoon, such as oatmeal, yogurt and soup. Not sure exactly how this fits in with blw, but my 11 month old loves yogurt and has been eating it since 6 months.
#3 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM

At 8 mos, her main source of nutrition should still be BM...

That being said, if she won't eat eggs, thn my bext thought is sausage... either a small patty she can pick up herself, or pieces of a larger link.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM

I have been using a TB of creamy almond butter mixed into my DS's yogurt or oatmeal/cereal for added protein, fiber and healthy fat. He seems to really like it.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#5 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM

We do a scoop of almond butter with full fat plain yogurt and smashed banana.
#6 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM

My 9-month-old likes to feed herself little tofu cubes. I found a suggestion to sprinkle some Cheerio dust on them, and she liked it.

"The decision to have a child is momentous because it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.''
#7 of 24 Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Greek yogurt is much easier for a little one to self feed. It's thick and sticks to the spoon pretty well.

I love tofu topped with Spike All Purpose Seasoning, as does my 3 year old. I don't remember when she started eating it... Spike is also excellent on avacado (not a protein).

If you're doing meat, there are lots of options there.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#8 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 AM

I've been thinking about trying quinoa as a breakfast food. I would think it might be good with cinnamon, maybe a little sweetener, as a porridge-type dish. I bet it would be good with fruit, too.

If you're not familiar with quinoa, it is a grain, but packed with protein. I googled it and found lots of info & recipes.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#9 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 AM

For those giving almond butter - isn't it a bad idea to expose babes to tree nuts so early? I had been avoiding feeding DS this, even though I love almond butter. I'd love to offer it, though.

Also, we give him cooked black beans, sometimes mixed with rice, almost anytime of day because it's one thing he always likes. I don't worry if it's breakfast time - if he won't eat what we're eating, I try beans. At least he's getting protein and fiber that way.

I also mix yogurt into oatmeal. He's BLW, but loves to play with a spoon. Sometimes he even is able to get food off of it himself (he's 14 mos, though).

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#10 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM

I would not feed my child soy. Here's one of many sources of info:
http://www.mothering.com/food/whole-soy-story

I don't distinguish mealtimes. My son has grassfed beef (in many forms--ground, pureed, and shredded), salmon, chicken, tiny bits of bacon, full-fat greek yogurt.
#11 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Beans.

Goat cheese or yogurt.

I used raw tahini in dds oatmeal or other hot cereal. I think seeds are less of an allergy concern than nuts, but protein foods are common allergens.
#12 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 06:06 PM

My kids don't differentiate breakfast food from other meals...so with that in mind (all of these can be pureed if need be):

Wild salmon (my kids all three LOVE salmon)
Organic chicken
Grass fed beef
Organic beans
Organic whole milk yogurt

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#13 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 PM

I didn't do the almond butter until 12 months, to be on the safe side, but honestly after talking it over and over with my very natural AP family doctor, we decided the allergy advice/research is just so contradictory lately that there's no one perfect way to do it. So we compromised by waiting until 12 months for nuts, but I wasn't worried if some nuts were in things before that.
#14 of 24 Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Cottage cheese?
#15 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
I've been thinking about trying quinoa as a breakfast food. I would think it might be good with cinnamon, maybe a little sweetener, as a porridge-type dish. I bet it would be good with fruit, too.

If you're not familiar with quinoa, it is a grain, but packed with protein. I googled it and found lots of info & recipes.
yep! i worked as a 2 yo teacher and we often had cinnamon quinoa for breakfast. they loved it but it was the worst to clean....you can really sweep it..it gets stuck...and you can't really wipe it cause it smooshes. but it's really good for you...amino acid-wise also.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#16 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
yep! i worked as a 2 yo teacher and we often had cinnamon quinoa for breakfast. they loved it but it was the worst to clean....you can really sweep it..it gets stuck...and you can't really wipe it cause it smooshes. but it's really good for you...amino acid-wise also.

where would i find quinoa?
#17 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
tzs

you can find it everywhere....maybe by the rice aisle???

trader joes for sure has it.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#18 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 01:46 AM
tzs

also...thanks for the soy post.

i knew i had heard negative info on it, especially for kids. i mean, state licensing stopped allowing us to serve soy protein at the preschool i worked at and we don't like to serve soy milk to the kids (has to be rice or almond or whatever.)

sucks b/c tofu would be so easy for us as we keep super duper kosher in a smaller city so we don't really have easy access to alot of meat choices.

#19 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 AM

You can make quinoa in a larger batch and eat it over a few days. Also, soaking the quinoa overnight brings out the nutrition in it, but also makes it need less water for cooking. I buy both red and regular quinoa in bulk at my local co-op. You can also do amaranth, which is another high protein grain-type food. Both quinoa and amaranth are gluten-free which is a plus in my book.

I also concur that beans would be a very good breakfast protein.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#20 of 24 Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM

One issue with quinoa is that two people I know react very strongly to it -- it's related to weeds in our area that they are allergic to (lamb's-quarters) and somehow that has caused a cross reaction to quinoa. They both vomit when they eat it.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#21 of 24 Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
One issue with quinoa is that two people I know react very strongly to it -- it's related to weeds in our area that they are allergic to (lamb's-quarters) and somehow that has caused a cross reaction to quinoa. They both vomit when they eat it.
Wow, I've never heard of that. And I know a lot of quinoa-eating types!
#22 of 24 Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Many whole grains are surprisingly high in protein, like oatmeal. Cooked legumes are great for little bitty ones- any kind of bean, pea, lentil, or garbanzo can be cooked quite soft, and all have pretty good amounts of protein. My daughter loved plain yogurt, we'd buy the kind made from whole milk or sometimes goat's milk but that's some expensive yogurt. Also, I've known some babies who don't like scrambled eggs but will go for boiled eggs, especially the yolks. Another high-protein thing is french toast, especially if you make it from whole grain (or even better, sprouted grain) bread.
#23 of 24 Old 04-06-2010, 12:12 AM

Whole milk yoghurt is yummy mixed with lots of different things. I just introduced DS to hard boiled egg yolks, and he loves them. I also heard that hard boiled egg yolks are good used to thicken smoothies or purees.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#24 of 24 Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I also heard that hard boiled egg yolks are good used to thicken smoothies or purees.
great tip!

i was doing egg yolks but they were so dry AND i just inherited a freezer full of homemade purees (and my babe oftenprefers chunks and thicker stuff.)

sounds like a perfect solution for us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page