my 8 month old doesn't talk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if i should be worried....
she has been quiet since around 6 or 7 mos old. she used to scheech, blow rasberries , make noises. she did cut a tooth 2 weeks ago. is it too early to worry?
#2 of 10 Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Do you mean she doesn't babble at *all*? That might concern me... but if your looking for words at all, I'd say its *WAY* *WAY* *WAY* too early....
#3 of 10 Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM

My 11mo babbled early on, and then stopped for about a month while she worked on physical development. Now she's back to babbling again.

Does your LO make any consonant sounds?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

i guess i should have said babble. she does make a mmmmmm sound but thats it.
#5 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 AM

My 19 month old went through periods of alternating working on speaking and working on moving. Most kids do.

Unless you've got reason to suspect your LO is going deaf, there is no "wrong" speech at 8 months.
#6 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Is she working on other physical skills right now? As others say, sometimes they can lose interest in vocalizing if they are focusing on something else.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#7 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 AM

was she recently vaxxed?

DS1 was all right on Q until about 4 months, when he had his second (AND LAST) round of shots. He was very quiet and only made sounds when he was unhappy (i.e. cry) until about month 8. He finally started making other noises again. Not trying to scare you, but I swear the shots effected my sons development. I was in the midst of research at the time, and that was the ace in the hole for me.
#8 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM

My almost 8 month old (next week) babbles very little. She can make ba and ma sounds, but rarely does. She is working very hard on learning to crawl, pull to stand, stand, and cruise... all at once! She does blow raspberries, make lots of high pitch noises, and glance up when we say her name, so I am not really worried.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#9 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

looking back she got the pentacel vac 8 weeks ago on a wednesday, thurs had a bad cold with ?sore throat. had a raspy voice. then fri night i was worried about her because she was so misrable. just had to be held and was making these rhymithmic moans. i called pedi but they were no help. we thought it was the cold and vac combined that was making her that way. sat am she was fine. so we thought she wasn't talking because it hurt her to talk while her throat was sore...but maybe she was hurt from the vac?...but she is working really hard at crawling and trying to pull up. she laughs, squeals in delight, lets you know when she's mad, plays peekaboo....
i just don't know

but feel i just sick wondering if it was the vac
#10 of 10 Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 PM

my dd wasn't vaccinated and wasn't very verbal at about that age- she had up until recently (she's 1 now) focused mostly on her physicality- she was an early crawler, mover, everything. now that she has that stuff down, it seems her vocab has exploded- all of a sudden copying everything she can.

but i was nervous too, I hated the lack of consonants- that was the key for me- she would do vowels but very few consonants.

i hope and believe that everything is ok, I was worried too and so many parents told me to wait it out a bit. If you are really worried, see a doc?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page