Mothering Forum banner

antibiotics and stomach pain in 6.5 mo

477 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  4myfinn 
#1 ·
I'm really concerned about my 6.5 mo DS. He has had an ear infection and was prescribed amoxicillin. We tried to wait it out for a few days and not give him the medicine, but it wasn't improving so we reluctantly started the antibiotic. My DS has been having the worst stomach cramps at night, and I think it's from the medicine. For the first several days I thought it was something I was eating, but now I'm pretty sure that it's the amoxicillin. It's awful; he's up for hours in pain! The pain is only at night, though.

I have stopped the antibiotic and am waiting for the ped's office to open so I can give them a call. I've been giving him a probiotic, but does anyone know of anything else I can give him to help his little tummy?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Have you tried giving it to him when he has a full tummy? We've had our daughter on amoxicillin before, and now she just finished Augmentin (sp?), which is amoxicillin with something else in it because her ear infection wasn't clearing. We had to make sure to give it to her with food so it didn't irritate her tummy.

Also, maybe a stupid question on my part, but how do you know it is his stomach (cramps and pain) that's bothering him at 6.5 months? Our DD is 7.5 months, and I've kind of wondered that myself...

I hope he feels better soon!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did try nursing him right after giving the medicine last night, but I don't know that it helped. Maybe a little solid food would be better, but he's eating very little solid food right now. DS has silent reflux and food sensitivities so we've had our fair share of late-night tummy troubles. I know it's tummy pain because he wakes up screaming and drawing his legs up in pain. You can also hear his tummy gurgling and making noises. There are a couple things that confuse me, though:

1. He only has the pain at night.
2. The pain starts hours after he takes the medicine. Like 3-4 hours later. The pain is more gassy-type pain. (He's usually grunting and trying to fart while this is going on).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.