Etiquette for baby compliments? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say thank you. It is a compliment. And then smile.
#32 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM

We get to hear the "he is so adorable/cute/handsome" thing a lot, even several times in the same conversation from the same person or repeats in the next conversation I cannot stand it - isn't there anything else about my babe, that's interesting? And I am not sure how serious people really are about it. I really prefer a "he is so observant" to a "he is so cute".

Aside from that I say "thanks" and smile. I only give compliments back if I really feel like it and I only say things I really mean.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#33 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 02:05 PM

I always just say thank you! My baby is really, really cute (seriously, objectively, not just b/c he's mine ) and is also pretty social-- always looking at people, smiling, waving-- so I get a lot of comments. Honestly, it makes me less uncomfortable than people making personal comments about *me*, I never know how to respond when someone compliments something I had nothing to do with, like my eyes. That may be because I've always been one to rush up to babies and say nice things. I love babies! And they're pretty much ALL cute one way or another. If the compliment is coming from another mama with a baby I'll generally say "yours too!"

What bugs me a little is that everyone who sees DS who also knows DH just HAS to mention how much he favors his dad! It's always "he's so cute, he looks just like his daddy!" which makes me feel a tad left out. Like, hello, those are my eyes in his face! Anyway, none of it matters a bit really.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#34 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM

I usually say "Thank you!" sometimes gush and agree "She is, isn't she?" or say something specific about her cuteness (eyes, babbling, etc.) and that's usually the end of it. If I genuinely want to compliment their child, I will, but I don't worry if I don't. I don't give compliments unless they are genuine, so that's just my style.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#35 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I have trouble with compliments in general. I learned a long time ago to just gracefully say "thank you, that's very kind of you to say" or something similar, even if I feel that the compliment is unwarranted. Then I usually quickly change the conversation

I don't think it's necessary to compliment back or rude not to do so. But if the other child has an admirable quality, why not mention it? Nice way to turn the conversation back.

Happy and in love with my family!
#36 of 36 Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
So, then I can easily strike up a conversation about them as well, like "I'm sure you know exactly how that feels, since I guess this cutie belongs to you?"
i think this is really sweet and genuine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page