How much solid food is normal for almost 9-month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

My son is almost 9 months old. We started with some solids at around 6 months but he never really showed much interest after a few bits. Other than that, he is EBF. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar picky eater and if they outgrow it? Right now, I'm having visions of a 2 year old being sustained by nothing other than mother's milk and need some reassurance

He likes some fresh fruit (namely mangoes) but never eats more than a couple of TB a day... that and a few mum mum rice crackers.

Any advice? Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM

My DD will be 1 next week and 99% of her diet is still breastmilk. She won't let me feed her, and she only likes to feed herself crunchy things, so it's been challenging! She'll get there eventually, as will your baby.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM

My daughter's the same age and that sounds about like the amount she eats. Fortunately for us, she's not very picky, but we're doing baby led weaning and a few tablespoons full is just the amount she picks for herself. If it's something she really loves she might have a bit more, but not too much. So far we've only given her fruit and veggies, though, so I'm not sure if that affects anything. It's hard to get as full-feeling on that stuff as on carbs, you know? But yeah, she still nurses a lot. I'm sure it won't last forever!
#4 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM

my 9 month old has no interest in food. we have tried lots of things, but he'd rather play with it or ignores it entirely. at this age, it is entirely normal to be ebf. they will eventually figure it out. how many adults do you see that sustain themselves on breastmilk?

#5 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone... that is more or less what I was thinking...

just needed a little bolstering to stay strong with family/9 month pediatrician appt. He's 75% percentile for weight.... so nothing lacking there.

Appreciate the feedback!
#6 of 9 Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM

DS took a while to warm up to solids at all, and he had some pretty serious texture aversions until he was about 2. (He's a former micropreemie and that's not uncommon for them, but I wouldn't worry about it with a FT baby.) He's almost 3 now and he'll eat just about anything, though he definitely has his preferences.

DD is 9 months old and I'm having kind of the opposite problem with her....she LOVES food, and I'm worried about giving her too much and decreasing her nursing.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#7 of 9 Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 AM

DD is almost 10 months old and I would say that 75% of her diet, if not more, is still breastmilk. We offer her solids at breakfast, lunch and dinner and she usually eats something, but the amount she eats at any given time varies from meal to meal. We follow baby led weaning so she eats what she likes and is able to regulate the amount she eats.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#8 of 9 Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 AM

My 9 month old hasn't shown any great interest in solid foods either. I let him taste things but he usually spits it out. He's perfectly happy to nurse instead.
#9 of 9 Old 04-23-2010, 03:09 PM

From my experience, with my own kids and from knowing other parents, I'd say normal at this age can be anything from quite a bit of solids (my DD2 nursed avidly at that age, but also had a big appetite for solids, and some days ate more than my then-three-year-old) to nothing at all. (DD1 at that age barely ate one mouthful of solid food in an average day.)

I wouldn't worry about it, at all. He'll eat when he's ready, and in the meantime he's getting just what he needs from your milk. Just keep offering, in an offhand way, you know? I think when we make too big a thing out of food, even in a positive way, they can get balky about it. And make sure of course that you continue to offer only good healthy choices.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page