How do you cut their little nails? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh dear. Being a first-time mom, and a scaredy-cat to boot, I'm having a hard time cutting ds's little fingernails and toenails. But, if I don'tdo it, he scratches himself - especially his sweet face! Do you mamas have any advice on how you cut the little one's nails? He flails his arms and legs about when I try, and I don't want to hurt him...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/empathy.

Heidi
#2 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 09:00 PM

When Simon was tinier I would wait until he was fast asleep to trim the nails. Then hold the finger and pull down on the finger-pad a bit so that I don't accidentally snip his skin. I've also done it while he was relaxed nursing -- but then I have to do it one side at a time.
I stopped slacking on nail-trimming when he actually drew blood from his ear! Ouch!

Hope this helps
Cassidy
#3 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 09:19 PM

This may seem wierd, but I actually "peel" off her nails. I work at the side of her nail with my own finger nail, and peel the protruding part of her nail right off. It works even better if you do it right after a bath, when the nails are soft. Good Luck!

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#4 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I always do it while Lindy is sleeping. I can't imagine how I could ever manage it if she were awake, but I guess at some point she'll stop being able to sleep through it and I'll have to learn to deal with it.
#5 of 15 Old 03-06-2004, 09:27 PM

I cut them when she is on the changing tablre now . But when she was little I would jjst bite them off . No danger of cutting there!
#6 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bit them off the first few months, now I trim them while she sleeps.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#7 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 01:15 AM

I agree with the sleeping method. I wait about 20 minutes into a nap, when I know he will be really out. I also pull gently on the finger pad to expose just the extra nail. There is no way ds would let me attempt this while he is awake, he's just way too curious and active.
#8 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 AM

Dh does it, he's much braver
#9 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH holds baby on his lap and I cut the nails with a nail clipper. DH usually distracts him with a toy or something. I don't know how to do it by myself. I am very skilled with nail clippers so it only takes a minute, even if they try to fuss or move I can still get it done.

My first always fussed when I clipped his nails. Once he turned 18 months he would run to me to ask for nail clipping. He would stay still the whole time and be very interested. My second never fussed about nail clipping, actually he never scratched himself, either. Everybody is different I guess.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 02:32 PM

I always do it while DS is nursing. Have to do them one hand at a time (he nurses on one side eash feeding) but he doesn't care what I do to him at that point.

When he was first born I used a teeny file and it worked great because they were so soft.
#11 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 02:35 PM

Peeler here but you have to start cutting at some point or they will think that how you do it when they are big! I learned this the hard way.One day I had a broken nail and wa son my way to clip it when I got distracted and Zacha said to me oh here mom I'll fix that and tore my nail down to the quick! Thanks I said as the blood is coming out:LOL
#12 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 07:12 PM

i lay her on the floor or sit her on my lap or do it while shes nursing..... i pull down the pad and run the clipper under the nail from the side of the nail so i know have just nail and no skin......and once i get it there i clip before she moves...did this also with ds, the nice thing is that he is now used to it and sits for me to do it np, if i did it while he was sleeping and had to do it awake one day he would prolly have freaked out!!!
#13 of 15 Old 03-07-2004, 07:15 PM

I also wait until DS is sleeping either in the swing or in his carseat. It helps that the nail clipper I bought has a little magnifying glass on it.
#14 of 15 Old 03-08-2004, 02:15 AM

Naptime is just too precious to risk waking babe up for nail cutting!! I just bite 'em.
#15 of 15 Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 AM

I used to take my dd to a more experinced mama friend who has a gift for trimming tiny nails, no shame in asking for help right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page