January 2010 Mamas DDC - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 332 Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just catching up on the thread!

Skylar is about 4 1/2 months now and is developing in leaps and bounds! She is still not rolling over from back to front but is so close. She can turn 180 degrees around on her tummy to reach toys or look at something by wiggling around. She can sit up for small amounts of time on her own with a pillow behind her (she loves this). She loves being sung to and "dancing." We think she is likely teething the past few weeks but no sign of any teeth.

She is still sleeping well and seems to want to go to bed earlier now. We are still co-sleeping and weren't planning on getting a crib at all but I don't feel comfortable putting her into our bed at night alone and I don't really want to go to bed at 8pm so she sleeps on the couch beside me in the evenings until I go down to bed. What are other co-sleeping moms doing about this?

We weren't going to vax at all but decided in the end to do delayed and selective. We are doing dtap, pcv and men-c. Our GP is awesome and worked with us to set up a schedule that breaks things up as much as possible. DD will have her first dtap this week. We did the pcv first at 3 months and then the men-c. She had no reaction to either (knock on wood).

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#122 of 332 Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

AFM, yeah, sleep is rough over here. DS does really well during the day, but nighttime is scary. I would much prefer he nap horribly, but let us sleep at night. Oh well. I know they say it doesn't make a difference (for all babies), but I hear some banana chunks begging to be eaten in 1.5 months!

#123 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post
What are other co-sleeping moms doing about this?
I have ZERO issues putting my son to bed in the big bed without me. Like, I don't even think anything of it. BUT, he sleeps on the outside of my space and I have a toddler type rail next to him. There is literally no way for him to fall out. We did the same with my daughter and it worked long after she was rolling/crawling/etc. That rail was a mental barrier for both of them.

FWIW, I'm so over co-sleeping and am just biding my time until I get the kid out of my bed. He's still waking hourly to nurse and I'm done.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#124 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I have ZERO issues putting my son to bed in the big bed without me. Like, I don't even think anything of it.
This is me. I did the same with ds and he never fell out or rolled off or got hurt. I have a queen bed and I just put dd in the middle with a pillow on each end and on the top (plenty of room so her face doesn't even get close to the pillow).
#125 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 AM

^^ yeah we do that too. But I still sometimes worry that she's going to scale the pillows and topple out anyhow. so we throw some pillows on the floor around the bed too, lol. She hasn't taken a topple yet, though. Knock on wood!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#126 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 AM

I'm behind, but I just have to say, even though I've already complained about this on here, that I am tired of being Mom. Tonight I had to cook dinner, go through the ads and coupons and do the grocery list, wash diapers, research/decide if my daughter is going to get any vax's at her 3 year ped. appointment tomorrow, get dd ready for bed and read to her, and try to clean a little and I was holding baby Max for most of that. My husband went to bed early and read. He did clean the kitchen and help with dd, so it's not like he isn't doing anything. I just feeling like there is so much to do! Maybe I just don't actually trust my husband enough to plan the groceries and figure out the vax's.

Max must be feeling back to himself because he is back to his mellow good sleeping self and I am so happy about that. There were a couple really rough weeks there, which is why I am so far behind on here! He still only wants me though. Yesterday he cried and cried for dh when I went to my massage for my aching back. Then our dd told him she didn't like him. He feels like his kids want nothing to do with him.

I should sleep.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#127 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

We weren't going to vax at all but decided in the end to do delayed and selective.
Both of my girls go to sleep on "big beds" without us. Pillows around them work well. My older daughter has fallen off the bed 3 or 4 times in her life and it was always worse/scarier for us than her. A snug tuck bedrail might do the trick for you. I'm thrilled that Holly will go to bed by herself at this age -- it took Robin AGES to get to the point where she'd consistently sleep without me. She naps on the big bed, too.

Sleep is MEH around here -- some nights great, some nights AWFUL. Usually it's the toddler, although Holly tends to have early morning fartfests that involve a lot of grunting and wiggling and waking of me. Taking vitamin D, a b-vitamin complex, and omega 3s has made a WORLD of difference for me, though. I feel like a different person. It's FABULOUS.

Otherwise... trying to make progress in school. My marriage is kind of in trouble right now, just in time for our 6th wedding anniversary . I think it will work out but it will be tough for awhile. Boo.

Kids are great. Holly perfect and beautiful and ROLLING OVER as of this week!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#128 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Ohhh and as for vax, we do a delayed schedule that's somewhat selective (no STDs, no rotavirus). Holly had her first round of shots 2 weeks ago and did really well *phew*.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#129 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Sunshadow - I so relate to what you're saying...

Re: sleeping in the big bed. I don't even do the pillow trick. I swear, I'm like the laziest mother.

Angela
#130 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We are using a pack & play with a bassinet attachment. Liam stays out with us until I am ready to go to bed. Our 3 year old is in our bed & I don't want him to be squished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
My marriage is kind of in trouble right now, just in time for our 6th wedding anniversary . I think it will work out but it will be tough for awhile. Boo.

Liam is 14 weeks as of yesterday & rolled over!! It completely took me by surprise, but the worst part is that he actually rolled over then commando crawled/scootched for a bit. I AM NOT READY FOR A MOBILE BABY!!!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#131 of 332 Old 05-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Sunshadow - I so relate to what you're saying...

Re: sleeping in the big bed. I don't even do the pillow trick. I swear, I'm like the laziest mother.
I don't do the pillow trick either. Ethan isn't mobile enough to jump off yet. Often, he has at least one cat sleeping with him, they can babysit :P It's quite annoying actually, one of the cats thinks Ethan's crib is the best place ever - I find him in there all the time. I don't mind too much, except for the times I go to get Ethan in the night and the cat is almost sleeping directly on him. Or when I get Ethan back to sleep, go to put him in the crib and the cat is sleeping directly in the middle. Grr, it's hard to move a cat while holding a sleeping baby!
AfricanQueen99, I hear you with the co-sleeping. I had successfully moved Ethan to his crib for most of the night, but lately he wakes up every time I put him down, so I've been keeping him in my bed for almost the whole night. I just can't get a good sleep with him there, he needs far too much help latching on during the night, and pops off every few minutes, then needs help latching on again, then pops off.... by the time morning comes, I feel like I've spent the whole night half awake helping a lazy baby nurse! And besides that, it's nice to have some time without a baby attached to me.
#132 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 AM

How I have not been posting on or reading this thread yet?!

Re: vax... I'm so confused about what I want right now. When Parker was a baby we hummed and hawed over vaccines and decided to go with them all starting at 2 months. Then he had a reaction to the pertusis (not confirmed but he started having seizures 12 hours later and his paediatrician and my dr. feel it's from the pertusis vaccine but the neuroligist blamed his Gerd) so I researched and researched and decided no more vaccines. And I was so comfortable with my decision, had no worries at all. Until now. I'm terrified of meningitis, a baby who I cared for during my pregnancy passed away from suspected SIDs at 6 weeks but I ran into her mum nearly two months ago and it was confirmed meningitis she passed away from and not SIDS. So that has me doubting everything. On one hand I want her immunized because I couldn't live with myself if she contracted something terrible and died but on the other hand I couldn't live with myself if she had a vaccine injury. So I'm struggling with that. Of course my ds who turned two this month has had a super high fever with febrile seizures and ice cold hands and feet. Google that and what to do you get? Meningitis! He doesn't have meningitis but still it doesn't help make me feel good about my decision to not vaccinate. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Sophie is doing fantastic (although she's starting to feel sick too, poor bub!), she's rolling over like crazy but still struggles with front to back. She's super smiley still and oh I just love her so! She's an awesome nighttime sleeper and usually sleeps from 8 to 3 or 4 and is up for the day around 7. Daytime naps are another story though,she naps 20 minutes tops and usually only in my arms. I bought a babyhawk mei tei and she'll nap longer in that but I haven't mastered how to get her on my back when I'm home alone yet so I feel that even though my hands are free, I'm still very limited in what I can do when I'm wearing her.

Hugs to all the sleep deprived mommas, it's not easy. My son was an up every hour to two hours kinda baby and it was so hard.

#133 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Sleep has been slowly disintegrating here. I'm now up every two hours and the longest stretch DS2 does is 3.5 hours (used to be 5 or 6)-- and it's from 7:30-10:30. I'm all for sleeping when the baby sleeps, but I'm not ready to go to bed at 7:30!! To make matters worse, baby's favorite place to nap is the Beco-- if I try to put him down, or even stretch out with him on my chest, he's awake in 20 minutes. Siiiiiiggggghhhhh.

The good news is that I have a lot of help right now. While I really needed help after the c-section and while the baby was hospitalized, it's nice to have the help now. My ILs are here for another month-- which means no meal-planning or prep, very little grocery shopping, help with all the household stuff and built-in entertainment for DS1-- plus always a pair of hands to hold the baby! The good definitely outweighs the difficulty of living with MIL for 2 months.

DS2 isn't rolling yet-- at least, I don't think he is. He's rarely not in someone's arms or lap, so for all I know he could be. I just wish the sleep would improve. DS1 was a horrible sleeper and still doesn't sleep through the night at age 4, and I just can't live through that kind of sleep deprivation a second time.

Oh, and my cat loves the baby's crib too, although she sticks to the bottom of it and only sleeps there during the day. It's a good thing my MIL doesn't know or she would freak out!
#134 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
Sleep has been slowly disintegrating here. I'm now up every two hours and the longest stretch DS2 does is 3.5 hours (used to be 5 or 6)-- and it's from 7:30-10:30. I'm all for sleeping when the baby sleeps, but I'm not ready to go to bed at 7:30!! To make matters worse, baby's favorite place to nap is the Beco-- if I try to put him down, or even stretch out with him on my chest, he's awake in 20 minutes. Siiiiiiggggghhhhh.!
Sounds familiar. DD used to sleep in 3-4 hour stretches at night. Occasionally we got 5 and a couple time 6 hours! Oh, how I miss it. Now we are up every 90 minutes or so, which I understand to be the average sleep cycle... frustrating. I am so tired. I too don't want to (and really can't) go to bed at 7 or 7:30! For the past week we are up at 5:30AM every day, like clockwork! Regardless of when she last nursed. This morning I was so tired (stayed up to watch Grey's anatomy ) so I nursed her and just let her stay beside me. I could hear her and feel her squirming, she was awake but happy. By 6:15 or so she fell back asleep and we didn't have to get up until 7:30AM which was her normal time to be wide away. It sucks because she is awake at 5:30AM, but it ready for a nap 30-45 minutes later....but since I work 3 days a week I can't go back to sleep, so I am up for the day. Ugh Ugh Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devasma View Post
Often, he has at least one cat sleeping with him, they can babysit :P It's quite annoying actually, one of the cats thinks Ethan's crib is the best place ever - I find him in there all the time. I don't mind too much, except for the times I go to get Ethan in the night and the cat is almost sleeping directly on him. Or when I get Ethan back to sleep, go to put him in the crib and the cat is sleeping directly in the middle. Grr, it's hard to move a cat while holding a sleeping baby!
I have a cat who thinks the crib is her special place. We put tinfoil in it to deter her which worked a couple months. Then she jumped over the tinfoil and slept on the 2inches of free space! Now we sidecar the crib so no more tinfoil. The cat won't touch the baby (still nervous about what that little human is all about). But she will sleep in the crib with her. I got sick of having to clean out cat hair from our bed especially now that DD's drooly little hands pick it all up and straight to her mouth. A few nights ago we closed the bedroom door and made it a no cat zone. I feel bad because our cats have always had free range and slept with us...but enough it enough! Only that one cat (we have 4 ) cares that much. I have to say, a fur free bed is wonderful.

As far as the where does baby nap and sleep discussion. We use the swing in the evening and for naps because she sleeps longer in it. It doesn't even have to be running. I think it makes her feel cozy. We finally sidecarred the crib so she has a better space for when she is more mobile. Right now the gap between the crib and bed is stuffed with a king sized pillow, so there is a lip so she can't roll into our bed..once she rolls. We plan to get foam to make it more flush eventually.

Oh darn, she's waking up. That nap was short lived.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#135 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 AM

@ Carmen 358

I mostly sit on the couch withOlivia in cradle hold in her nursing pillow until I go to bed. Sometimes if she is really limp and loose I try the transfer onto the middle of our bed with pillows around her and she stays asleep there. Putting her down to sleep there and slipping out seems to work better for the daytime naps than it does work at night.

Off topic question: How do you quote only one sentence??? I always get the whole post. Here is what I do: I mark the sentence and hit quote

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#136 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawood View Post
Off topic question: How do you quote only one sentence??? I always get the whole post. Here is what I do: I mark the sentence and hit quote
Quote the whole thing (so it says who originally said it) and then delete what you don't want from their post.

I'm telling you, if your kid is an early riser (son is, daughter wasn't) then just don't get out of bed. Change the diaper right there, roll over and talk/coo/love, nurse/feed babe...spend a good 30-40 minutes doing this...then they should be ready for a nap again. Everything I've ever read says that they need that first morning nap literally FIRST thing in the morning. Once I started this "not getting out of bed before the first nap" routine my life has gotten so much easier.

Angela
#137 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post

Only that one cat (we have 4 ) cares that much. I have to say, a fur free bed is wonderful.
We have 4 cats too, lol.
#138 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=AfricanQueen99;15431355]Quote the whole thing (so it says who originally said it) and then delete what you don't want from their post.

Thanks AfricanQueen, let's see how this turns out

Just got back from my very first Mom and Baby Yoga class. it was so nice as it is the same teacher who did the prenatal class and she is wonderful. Also I got to see a couple of Moms I still knew from the prenatal class.

Now why didn't I get the quote right

#139 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM

#140 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM

You need to keep the code on the end of the quote so it knows when to stop. I think it's [/quote]

Angela
#141 of 332 Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawood View Post

Just got back from my very first Mom and Baby Yoga class. it was so nice as it is the same teacher who did the prenatal class and she is wonderful. Also I got to see a couple of Moms I still knew from the prenatal class
I wish I could find one of those, sounds like it's nice. I have, however, done pilates videos with Emma on the floor with me and I move her body with mine. She totally cracks up, she thinks it's so funny!
#142 of 332 Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Dh think I am crazy for putting the baby down for a nap in the morning so soon. He seems to think the baby sleeps too much. This is our third so I think I know what I'm doing and I am surprised he questions me. Eyes roll.
My babe that used to wake once a night is now up every hour or so, and is definitely getting some teeth. He will be 4 months tomorrow. He is rolling both ways, making all sorts of noises and smiling and crying and demanding to be worn. He looks just like my older son, it is really weird to everyone. I laugh and just say they did come from the same people yk?

In other tmi news I got my second pp af with a 2.5 month gap. Dh was happy for me, and I told him to shove it LOL.
#143 of 332 Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
Dh think I am crazy for putting the baby down for a nap in the morning so soon. He seems to think the baby sleeps too much. This is our third so I think I know what I'm doing and I am surprised he questions me. Eyes roll.
I find that my son is usually ready for a nap about 2 hours after he wakes in the morning.

Like many mamas on here, I have been shedding like crazy. This is a minor general annoyance, but the other night I was giving Malachi a massage and found a long strand of hair coiled tightly around his little toe--so tightly that it broke the skin and was hard to remove. There was no bleeding, but it was red and swollen. I have no idea how long it was like that. It had been 2-3 days since I'd given him a bath, though. It didn't seem to be bothering him so he must have had time to grow accustomed to it. Talk about feeling bad. I wonder if one of the times he was a little fussy and I thought he was just overtired, he was trying to tell me he was in pain. Talk about feeling like a horrible mama!!
#144 of 332 Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM

We had a weird day yesterday - lots of wakings at night (my back hurts from all the side nursing) and then DS spent all day working on rolling over - he got it! He was strangely easy - rolled on the floor, contemplated, slept, was really quiet in the car (usually he screams if awake). I got a lot of chores done. He was fussier at night, but not too bad.
It was a milestone day for him - definitely different from our usual days. He rolled again today - he much prefers being on his tummy.
I got my first pouch sling (slingling) on tuesday and it was really handy yesterday - I just popped him on my hip while doing chores, although I still prefer my mei tai and the back carry for longer chores.
I love our mama and baby yoga class - it's the only way I can keep my back from falling apart, and DS loves it too. Unfortunately I have to miss it next tuesday because I have to give a practice talk for my defense. Scary, but exciting - in less than 3 weeks I'll have my Ph.D.
So, life has been crazy here, can't wait till I'm done with school.

PoetryLover - it sucks that he had his skin irritated by the hair, but it will heal quickly. Hopefully the hair won't try to trap him again.

sleepytime.gif
#145 of 332 Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
You need to keep the code on the end of the quote so it knows when to stop. I think it's
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. Let's see...

Sleeping at night goes well with us but going down for the nighttime sleep is hard right now. I keep Olivia with us on the couch and put her down when she seems to be deep asleep. Lately she is getting distracted by the activities from my DH or cat or TV. I would love for her to have a soothing bedtime routine other than nursing on the couch but for now that is what she wants. All my other attempts failed. Or did I post that already...??? So tired tonight.

#146 of 332 Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post
Scary, but exciting - in less than 3 weeks I'll have my Ph.D.
So, life has been crazy here, can't wait till I'm done with school.
What an accomplishment, congrats!
#147 of 332 Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 AM

Thank you! It's exciting and I can't believe I won't be a student anymore. I just have to get through this final stretch.

Most of my work is done in bed as DS sleeps best when I'm next to him and can nurse him back down intermittently, so I'm on my laptop a lot and my back is killing me.
Bedtimes are hard too - although DS is more of a night owl and goes to be around 10:30, so I just get in bed with him and nurse to sleep. My boobs are tired.

sleepytime.gif
#148 of 332 Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
Dh think I am crazy for putting the baby down for a nap in the morning so soon. He seems to think the baby sleeps too much.
Holly takes a nap between 8 and 8:30, anywhere between 1.5-2 hrs after she wakes up. I remember Robin doing the same.

Well, we survived a road trip with both girls. It went well for the most part, but I"m glad we don't have travel plans for awhile after this!!

#149 of 332 Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Sasha also goes down for the first nap less than an hour after waking. It makes for a happier day for all of us.

Smokeylo, glad to hear you survived! I dread traveling with DS, and we have to go to TX in the fall...

sleepytime.gif
#150 of 332 Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 AM

catching up with y'all! f is 4 months old today!!! we think he just went through a growth spurt as his nursing schedule changed and he went from drinking 3.5oz bm at daycare to the entire 5oz. he is wearing TWELVE month old clothes. i am not even kidding. i weighed him last night on our home scale, so probably not 100% accurate - wee man is 18lbs 14oz. WOW! ds1 who is 37lbs and 41" at 33 months was 16lbs 12oz at 4 months. these boys are going to eat us out of house and home as teenagers, lmao!

he has amazing hand/eye coordination, talks up a storm and is trying to commando crawl during tummy time. he hasn't managed to roll over completely yet - we think due to his size. ds1 had the same problem but managed it at 5 months. he continues to be a very laid back easy baby which is wonderful since ds1 is pl'ing right now. he's not in his crib yet - still sleeping in his kanoe in our room.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page