Emergency formula recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, all,

My 5 mo old DS is EBF, and we plan to keep it that way. But we are heading out on a road trip, and we would like to have some formula just in case, for that worse case scenario. I plan to bring a pump, and we should always have some breastmilk in the cooler. But that will last only so long if something really bad happens.

I haven't done a single lick of reading about formula since I thought I would never need it. DH and I are really into preparedness, but I really dropped the ball on this one. If something happens to me, DH wants to be sure he is providing DS with the next best option.

So my question is this:

Do y'all have any recommendations on formula for breastfed babies?
#2 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I consider myself a fairly prepared person, but it would never have occurred to me to pack formula for a road trip just in case.
#3 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
I consider myself a fairly prepared person, but it would never have occurred to me to pack formula for a road trip just in case.
Same here.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Road trips are perfect for bf'ing. No bottles to sterilize. No storage issues.

That being said, I would not want to discover an allergy to formula while away from home. If you do choose to use formula I would suggest a trial at home.

I would encourage you to continue to breast feed on your trip and have fun!

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#5 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:43 PM

I don't think the OP means to NOT breastfed, rather, if something *tragic* happened to her, what would be the best options for her DH to offer to her DC. I worried about this until my LO was eating some solids.My DH was informed to find donor milk if something happened to me.
#6 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Me, either. What a hassle! And we got married all the way cross country (IL to AZ drive) with two toddlers and my 5 month old. Two week car trip-no formula or bottles. If something tragic happened...there'd be emergency services and it's likely baby would be in the hospital, too. I'd worry about that then.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM

What *tragic* thing is more likely to happen while on the road trip that is not a concern at home? ???

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#8 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm definitely wondering why you'd need it.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#9 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 PM

If something tragic happened to you, have your DH ask the hospital for a sample of what ever they have got.
#10 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Yup. If tragedy were to strike, the hospital has ready-to-serve formula and nipples.
Have fun on your road trip!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#11 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Op mama I think like you. A freak storm happened while my SIL was gone to pick up her older kids. It was supposed to be a 5 minute trip. Her DH was left at home with a screaming hungry baby. Roads blocked, power out, landlines and cells overloaded or down. There was no running to the store to get some formula. Turned out she was only gone an hour but it was hell for her DH. He had no way to know if she was under a tree. This was at home where they knew where everything was. On the road where you don't know anyone or where the nearest store is?

Anyway, I swore I would never put DH in that position. For an emergency supply that will likely go bad before you need it does it matter what brand you use? I handed DH one of those samples and told him to put it where he'd remember in a crisis. It remains untouched.

I've been reamed before for telling this story. Maybe you need to hear my normally quite BIL tell the story with tears in his eyes.
#12 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Yes but what would one sample do? In that case (depending on baby's age), why not just some water or something?

Masel, that must have been scary. I live in IL where that sort of thing happens a lot, as well. Especially right about now when tornado season hits (last year we had 2 major floods). But you have warning 99% of the time and if you're at home...why not pump and freeze instead of buying & storing formula? I can't imagine having a mother leave a screaming hungry baby to pick kids up.

#13 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#14 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Yes but what would one sample do?
Sample cans of powdwered formula will make about 50 oz, which would last you a day or two, depending on the age of the baby, whether or not they're eating solids, etc. 36-48 hours is a long time in disaster recovery.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#15 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM

I had an emergency in which DS1 ended up having to be formula fed for 12 hours. I came down with something that hit so hard and fast I was to weak to hold him, much less nurse, and I had no stored milk as we were in the process of a move and I was in our new town, the milk was in our old town. It was a very scary day, I ended up stumbling over to our new neighbors, and they took care of DS (DH was packing the rest of our stuff up in the old town.) and took me to the ER. My key for our new house didn't work, so my neighbors BF broke in and got a can of formula a friend had given me for "just in case".

Every baby is different, and one formula may work while another won't. My advice would be to ask your pedi for a recommendation. I just wanted to share my story, to explain that I understand your thought process.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#16 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
Sample cans of powdwered formula will make about 50 oz, which would last you a day or two, depending on the age of the baby, whether or not they're eating solids, etc. 36-48 hours is a long time in disaster recovery.
The samples I was always given were for one bottle.

All I'm saying is, if you're planning ahead-pump and freeze, right? It's something you know your baby can have-with formula you never know. Especially if they've never had it before.

#17 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

All I'm saying is, if you're planning ahead-pump and freeze, right? It's something you know your baby can have-with formula you never know. Especially if they've never had it before.
I think her concern stems from being out of town on a road trip, where she would only have access to milk pumped and stored in a cooler, rather than a freezer stash.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#18 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

The samples the big formula companies send are small cans. I've gotten dozens.

How exactly is she supposed to transport enough frozen breastmilk to last as long as a can of formula? They are on a road trip.

OP, I would honestly just buy a can of Baby's Only and hope I never used it. Alternately, Meyenberg powdered goat's milk could work short term. You have no way to know if your child is one that can't tolerate regular formula.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#19 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
The samples the big formula companies send are small cans. I've gotten dozens.

How exactly is she supposed to transport enough frozen breastmilk to last as long as a can of formula? They are on a road trip.

OP, I would honestly just buy a can of Baby's Only and hope I never used it. Alternately, Meyenberg powdered goat's milk could work short term. You have no way to know if your child is one that can't tolerate regular formula.
Guess it's been awhile since I've gotten any! I never got any with my last kid (in 2007) or with this pregnancy.

Of course for a long trip, frozen stashes aren't very handy, but the stories were all home emergencies, first of all, that I was responding to. And...

The OP said she was bringing a pump and some breastmilk in the cooler anyway, so I don't see why formula is necessary. If it was that bad, then, like I said, you're probably at a hospital and they will have some in that situation, surely, or you are close to a store if god forbid anything happen that would take longer than a 5 month old's supply of stashed breastmilk. Formula is soooo expensive and plus there are bottles and such to think about. I just want to reassure the OP that it's unnecessary and save her the worry and hassle of such a thing.

#20 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM

I agree with kittywitty on that last part.

For at home though, I have a package of bottles with "Emergency Bottle Instructions" in the cupboard. I have a freezer stash, and we are literally a minute walking distance from formula selling stores. I'm not going to buy formula because in a crisis my Dh would likely default to formula- a few scoops, water, shake, done. Whereas with freezer milk he'd have to put the bag in a ziploc, then defrost, then put in a bottle.... Both are about an equal amt of work but my DH hasn't done the breastmilk version yet.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#21 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Any chance you got and kept any free sample? I saved the very few free samples I got until the kids were past one, sometimes you just never know and I felt better knowing that dh had a BM and then a few small cans so if something happened to me he had a fews day to a week to have one less thing to worry about.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#22 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Ok, OP I think being overly prepared is your thing. Good for you!

Does your DS have any major food intolerances? Dairy? Soy? Have you had to eliminate anything from your diet while BF'ing?

If not, grab whatever and call it a day. The likelihood of him having to use it is slim to none. Just make sure to get something that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

If he has food intolerances, knowing what they are will help people guide you about what to use. And, if he DOES have intolerances that you know about, all the better for you to have something that is more likely to work rather than relying on hospital samples.
#23 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I ended up in the ER / ICU when DS was 6-10 days old. We had no information on donor banks. Maybe it's just that we didn't ask, but the ER supplies were all for ME, they didn't offer any milk for DS. They needed a CT scan which meant I had to pump and dump for two days.

The ER staff strongly encouraged DH to keep our baby away from the area (a young boy with came in with meningitis about the same time we did, and other people with infectious diseases were around).

DH called a pediatrician (outside of hours, our pediatrician's answering machine directed all emergencies to the E.R., so this ended up being another pediatrician we knew from elsewhere), got a recommendation, and it happened to be the same as the samples we'd gotten.

For a road trip, I don't think we usually brought formula along. If we did, it was the same thing DH used to supplement after the pumped milk ran out and I was stuck at work.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#24 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I would not buy formula unless I planned to use it. In the even of an emergency (mom is dead or very sick) I suppose my husband would make do with whatever (cows milk, water, etc...) temporarily, until he could get some formula. I hate to contribute to formula sales.
#25 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 10:45 PM

I would say a sensitive formula. The samples didn't work with my son because he turned out to be lactose sensitive. You can get ready made bottles, travel packs which is each serving in a individual wrapper, and so on. I'm sure everything will be ok though!

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#26 of 27 Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your replies. I've decided on Babys Only Soy Organic.

Again, this is only for a worst case scenario where I am not available to breastfeed. And yes, this road trip has reminded me that I should already have thought about this for disaster-like situations at home, when my freezer stash might not be sufficient.

(Our free samples from the hospital are all close to expiring! Plus I wanted to select something I felt good about.)

And yes, in many situations DH could just run to the store and find something on the shelf, or take what the hospital gives him, and that would work for the short-term...but if something bad has happened, it would be good to give DH one less thing to worry about. And there are scenarios where the store or hospital are not quick and easy options.

To put my preparedness-mindedness in perspective, I was NOLA during Hurricane Katrina, and although we have since moved, I live in Hurricane and tornado country. We have seen what happens when folks are not prepared...and when they assume they can get what they need during an emergency from someone else, somewhere else.

But yes! Breastfeeding is the best option always, even during a disaster:
http://www.ilca.org/files/in_the_new...ts09_PRINT.pdf
#27 of 27 Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Though some babies and children cannot tolerate soy, it's statistically more likely that they cannot tolerate dairy. Therefore, a soy formula is a smarter, more prudent choice as a backup if concerned about allergies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page