Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone I know IRL raves about them.
Just looking for some other opinions.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#2 of 51 Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i bought one for my 6 month old dd, because she desperately wants to sit up, but doesn't have the balance yet and sometimes I can't hold her ALL the time! She sits in it for 5-10 mins at a time.

Melissa Wife To James & Mama to Christopher Michael- 6/03 ,Ella Cheyenne- 10/09 & Xander Ryan James- 9/10 :
#3 of 51 Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM

eh... I'm not a fan. They have their place, but it's not a natural position that baby is held in and they can ONLY be used on the floor. Add to that that they are only useful for a couple of months and I don't think they're worth the price.

-Angela
#4 of 51 Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 PM

I got by fine with four babies and no Bumbo - so I really doubt I'd get one for a future kiddo. I know people seem to love them, though.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 51 Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 PM

I bought one for my 1st and used it a lot. My cousin's boy used it. Then my dd used it and now my bf's babe will be using it in a couple months. So we've gotten our money's worth out of it. Works great in restaurant booths.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#6 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WAAAAY overpriced imo but we borrowed one for free for about a month when ds wanted to sit but could only do so for a minute or so at a time. We used it for that period of time & it was nice but not nice enough to justify the cost.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
kkd

I bought mine second-hand, so it wasn't as expensive as new, but we haven't used it much. It did come in handy for when I went to the chiropractor, because I could set DD in it and it kept her from rolling away during my appt. Could also be nice if you were feeding a baby solids on the go - it's easy to take along (if you don't carry a baby in a car seat, which we didn't) My DD didn't like the feeling of being confined, so she didn't tolerate being in it for long.
#8 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 AM

We like the Bumbo over here. DD is almost 9 months and still fits in it nicely, however she can now get out of it! I know they get a bad wrap, but I think in moderation they can be very helpful. I keep mine in the kitchen on the floor, when I have to chop or pull something out of the oven I can set her in it and do what I need to do quickly.

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#9 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 AM

I did some reading about this that resonated with me (I think the article was form a chiropractor) - it basically said that if children (babies) can't hold themselves in a certain position naturally (sitting in this case), then it means they don't have the balance, muscle strength, coordination, etc and they shouldn't be artificially placed in that position. Their little bodies just aren't ready to do it yet. Part of the learning process for babies is that they have the motivation to keep trying to sit up (or roll over or stand up or whatever....) and that they need to practice these skills as an important part of their physical development. If someone always sits them up in a Bumbo seat, then it's all kind of done for them, possibly at too early an age than their body is ready for. When explained that way, it really made sense to me.
#10 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Works great in restaurant booths.
Babies have been injured that way. There was a recall a couple of years back to re-emphasize that they are ONLY to be used on the floor, never on any raised surface.

-Angela
#11 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 AM

enables me to take a shower. he's 7 months, been sitting up for 2 months already, and now starting to crawl. he can't get himself out of it yet, so this gives me the chance to shower... which is pretty useful to me! that's the only time i use it... once a day for about 10 minutes at a time. not sure what i would do without it (or what i'll do once he can get out of it). we shall see.

#12 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Ours was a gift that we passed along. I like the concept as an occasional thing, but DS pretty much hated it. We used it about 3 times, one of them for a posed picture, and that was about it.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#13 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadebug View Post
I did some reading about this that resonated with me (I think the article was form a chiropractor) - it basically said that if children (babies) can't hold themselves in a certain position naturally (sitting in this case), then it means they don't have the balance, muscle strength, coordination, etc and they shouldn't be artificially placed in that position. Their little bodies just aren't ready to do it yet. Part of the learning process for babies is that they have the motivation to keep trying to sit up (or roll over or stand up or whatever....) and that they need to practice these skills as an important part of their physical development. If someone always sits them up in a Bumbo seat, then it's all kind of done for them, possibly at too early an age than their body is ready for. When explained that way, it really made sense to me.
I agree, and read a similar article while pregnant and decided not to put DD in the seat until she was very close to sitting up un-supported (about 4months); however, there are many things we put babies in that are un-natural, carseats being one. DD has been in a carseat many times more than the Bumbo. Maybe that is slightly different because of positioning, but I don't see a huge difference? Anyway, DD was sitting up completly un-supported by 5 months, we never saw any kind of adverse reaction, but again we used it sparingly.

#14 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 AM

We didn't have one for DS, but my cousin had one for her DS. I much preferred to put DS in a bouncer if I needed to keep him in a safe place while I showered/made lunch/went to the bathroom/etc.

joy.giflurk.gif

#15 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM

We have a similiar seat - the bebe pod - I like the plastic it is made of better, to me, the bumbo always looks dirty. We originally purchased it as an alternative to a high chair. we don't have a dining table at home so that seemed silly. At 5 months, DS can tri-pod sit on his own, and can sit unassisted for short bursts of time. I use it mostly when he wants a change of scene - he's tired of rolling around on the floor, and doesn't want the excersaucer (I WAH, so I really cannot hold him all the time, and he doesn't seem to want that either).

I don't see anything wrong with using them sparingly, but it is one of those things that I wouldn't miss if I didn't have it.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#16 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelaria80 View Post
however, there are many things we put babies in that are un-natural, carseats being one.
The bumbo positioning is much different. They are actually locked in position- an odd position. While carseats aren't great (and should only be used in the car...) it is more like a cradling position.

-Angela
#17 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
the bumbo came out after my last baby could already sit up, but man, i wish i had had one for both of my kids! they were very strong right from birth, held their heads up, and could bear weight on their feet. both my kids were major proprioception seekers from the get-go, but they also needed the vestibular stim of being in the sling quite a bit. they had to be upright. both my kids started being able to sit up around 4.5 mos, but they werent reliably steady until about 6mos. when i had to shower, i had to lay them flat or put them in a bouncer seat, both of which made them scream bloody murder. a bumbo would have given me 30 mins each day to shower and get dressed. so while i never used one, i wish i had!

Bring back the old MDC
#18 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 AM

My DS liked his okay, but honestly I rarely thought to put him in it. I did use it sometimes in the kitchen. He also has really chunky legs and it didn't take long for me to feel like I had to squeeze his poor little legs into it. So then I stopped using it. My ped warned me that it had a short lifespan. I found this to be true and probably wouldn't buy it again. However, I never thought to use it while in the shower! This seems like a really good idea!
#19 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM

I picked one up at a yard sale and used it for only a few weeks. My son was an early sitter (5 months) He would propel himself out of the bouncer and almost flip it over on him, so THAT was unsafe, as was putting him on the floor on a blanket for certain things. He loved the bumbo because he could sit up supported and see what his brother was doing, and play with his toys in an upright position.

I agree that it can be misused and harmful but just about any baby device can be. Its kind of a case by case for each child. I don't think its a great investment new since it really should only be used for a small window of time since its not the greatest for a non-sitting baby AND it can be pretty dangerous for one that sits well. My son learned to flip it over pretty quick.

Oh, and I forgot. My older son thought it was a potty chair and peed in it on a couple occasions! (I would let my little one sit in it naked since it was easily wiped out.)

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#20 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I haven't had one with either baby, but I know ppl who love theirs. Really though, both my babes have learned to sit in just a couple months- seems like a lot of money to pay for something that's not going to be used for very long.

We use our boppy pillow with a few pillows surrounding it.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#21 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
He also has really chunky legs and it didn't take long for me to feel like I had to squeeze his poor little legs into it.
They're definitely not made for chunkers like our DS... I tried to put him in a friend's Bumbo around 4.5 months, and he totally didn't fit!
#22 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

My older kids use it more than the baby lol They love it as a seat...they also like to make funny noises with their naked behinds after a bath :P The baby sits in it every once in a while when I need a break and the swing/floor aren't cutting it. She once fell asleep in it (of course I moved her out of it and into her pack n play/bassinet as soon as she did!)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#23 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM

We have one and I have used it for 2 out of 3 of my girls. It is great for self feeding, we don't have room for a high chair, and the tray is nice. We also use it while we eat dinner so babe can be part of the action. They are expensive if you were only going to use it for one kid, but my girls fit into it for a long time and don't crawl out of it as long as the tray is on it. If you wanted to try one, check craigslist, you can get them for about $20.
#24 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM

We skipped it... I think they're kind of ugly and they make the baby look so awkward!

DS wanted to sit up SO BAD...so we kept working with him and he did it early...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#25 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadebug View Post

This is why I chose not to use one.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#26 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't bother getting one, and didn't seem to need it. I used the bouncy chair as a place to put him before he could sit. And once he could reliably sit I would just sit him on the floor in the tub while I showered or take a bath with him. FWIW the Physical Therapists at the developmental preschool I used to work at were not fans of them for reasons in pp. Used sparingly it probably wouldn't cause any noticeable problems, but then, why buy a piece of baby gear you can only use a little?

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#27 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Didn't use one for either of my older two, but bought one second-hand from Craigslist for DS2 when he was about 4 months old. He had excellent head control and was very strong at that age. I only paid $15 for it, as I didn't know whether or not the baby would tolerate it. He will sit in it for a few minutes at a time, but that's about it. The main two places we use it are outside while DS1 and I are running around playing and I need two hands. I put DS2 in the Bumbo in the shade and he will sit in it, chew on some toys or his hands and watch up for a few minutes. The other place we use it is during meal times. I give the baby a wooden spoon to play with while we eat. Sometimes I even get to eat an entire meal, while still hot. Sometimes.

The thing I do not like to see is itty bitty new babies being put in them. It looks so uncomfy and unnatural.
#28 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelaria80 View Post
however, there are many things we put babies in that are un-natural, carseats being one. DD has been in a carseat many times more than the Bumbo. Maybe that is slightly different because of positioning, but I don't see a huge difference?

Reclining in a car seat is a passive position - it doesn't require balance or muscle engagement. Sitting up is an active position, and to do it independently requires balance and muscle engagement. The concern is that if a baby can't hold that position naturally, they just aren't physically ready yet. I totally agree, though, that a baby shouldn't be left in a car seat any longer than is needed.
#29 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
The thing I do not like to see is itty bitty new babies being put in them. It looks so uncomfy and unnatural.
I agree, and I think this is where most of the debate comes in. I don't know if that is the intention of the Bumbo, but it is not how we used it. I can see where it may be harmful to tiny babes, but I think it would be harmful to overuse any one device.

#30 of 51 Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM

We have one that's been passed down a few times. My son doesn't tolerate it very much, he's generally trying to figure a way to wiggle out of it. That said, it's a GREAT seat to keep in the bathroom to pop him into so I can pee and wash my hands baby free. I'd definitely never spend money on one.

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page