3. cloth diapers
4. boobs
5. love
#3 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Must haves-bottles and formula? Whatever. Bouncy seat they even say is unnecessary but: "But it sure is nice to have someplace to put your baby while you're mixing bottles". And about a crib: "Even if you decide to co-sleep with your newborn, you'll eventually want him to snooze behind bars. "

What a worthless article.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only thing I used on that list was the car seat.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#6 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Must haves-bottles and formula? Whatever. Bouncy seat they even say is unnecessary but: "But it sure is nice to have someplace to put your baby while you're mixing bottles". And about a crib: "Even if you decide to co-sleep with your newborn, you'll eventually want him to snooze behind bars. "

I agree! As a co-sleeper who didn't use a crib at all, I was a bit irratated by the crib bit.
#7 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:

DS is 6 month, we dont have a crib, and wont buy one either. We did have a bouncy seat, but he hated it. I dont even have anything to say about the bottles!

I think the minimum newborn item list for me would be:

Boobs
Car Seat
Stretchy Wrap (moby or similar)
A few soft blankies
Cloth diapers
Clothes

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#8 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Yeah, the only thing I agree with is the car seat and eventually a stroller is nice. Bottles? Formula? Bouncy seat? Why??
#9 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
meh. We don't have 2 of those items (crib and stroller), and I don't even miss them! Okay, I admit to occasionally wishing that I had a crib for him to nap in so that he couldn't wake up and start crawling around the bedroom getting into things before I heard him, but getting a baby monitor solved that problem. It would not be worth buying a crib just for the couple of times I thought it would be handy. I completely expected to want a stroller, we just didn't have the money for it right away and when he was tiny it wasn't a problem to wear him everywhere. At 9 months he's no longer tiny, but it's still not a problem to throw him in one of my carriers and walk to the park or the library. I may want a stroller later, as he gets bigger, but thus far I've never been in a situation where I wanted one.

As for bottles, I have 2 nipples that fit on the cups that go with my breast pump. I didn't have them until he was 5 months, and I think he's used one once. He prefers drinking straight from the cup or with a straw. Definitely not a necessity. And obviously neither is formula!

I did lurve my bouncy seat! I didn't use it as a place to set him while I mixed bottles though

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#10 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM

I do like the idea of less stuff for baby, I have received sooo much baby stuff that I really didnt want or need. I am somewhat of a minimalist.

I am writing a similar list for a friend who is pregnant and doesnt have much experience with babies, or support where she lives. It includes:

Moby (or other wrap)
cloth diapers
slip on shoes for mom (shoelaces are a pain when you are wearing your little one)
car seat
granola bars for when you are hungry and the baby has other plans
Internet for mdc to reassure you that every baby goes thru that =)

ANything I am missing?
#11 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM

My 5
1. Car seat (obviously)
2. Baby carrier, ergo for me
3. Bottles/Formula (we ended up formula feeding early on due to the many low supply issues I had and the depression it created for me).
4. Cloth diapers
5. Blankies

We didn't use a crib very often, and if anything I eventually gave up trying to get him to take a nap in it. However, now at 10 months I will use one because we are slowly weaning him from co-sleeping and if I leave him before he's fully asleep when he looks like he is he crawls off and revs himself up again making it harder to get him to sleep.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#12 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM

I don't have many of those and didn't with ds 1 (now 4 yrs).

carseat
boobs
diapers
wrap or other good carrier

Bottles and formula (if your exclusively breastfeeding and not needing to pump if you work). Not necessary in IMO.

I do have a bouncy and it is nice to have a place to put the babe down.
I have a pack n play for naps, but honestly ds 1 never slept in it (he slept in the wrap on me) and I'm only getting use out of it now with ds 2.

I sold the crib my brother handed down to us along with the changing table on craigslist, never used crib and changing table less than a few months.

We have a jogger stroller that we started using when ds was around 1 or so. But a nice lightweight stroller (umbrella type) is nice to throw in the car when heading out to summer festivals, events where LO's get tired of walking and it's too hot for wearing them long.
#13 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
that list cracked me up. The only thing on it we used was the car seat.

Heidi
#14 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Wow, what a ridiculous article.

1. boobs
2. baby carrier
3. cloth diapers
4. clothes
5. yoga ball (for bouncing and rolling, and later on throwing and playing)

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#15 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

I do thing bottles are a top 5 item; I am a working mom, and am in the office 2 days a week. I know you can teach baby to drink from a cup or use a sippy. we've found bottles just to be handier (and when he is with nana or someone else unskilled in helping w/ a cup, bottles are a no-brainer)

diapers - of whatever sort

carseat - though i will interject here that an infant bucket seat is NOT a must have. there are good convertibles you can use from birth. we love our Combi Cocorro.

I agree a carrier is more of a must have than a stroller, though I often bring both and use the stroller for shopping bags, diaper bag/purse, etc. I use an ergo now, but the moby was great at first. I would still use it, but the ergo is far faster to put on and easier to lug around.

rather than crib: somewhere for baby to sleep - make your bed co-sleeping friendly, get a co-sleeper, or use a crib (you can sidecar the thing and still co-sleep)

bouncy seat was wonderful for us. the swing we've rarely used.

I think the greatest "non" essential we have is a diaper caddy - holds diapers and wipes and has a little drawer for small things, like rash cream or powder. we can tote it wherever we are in the house. who needs a changing table?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#16 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Any of those lists are silly. We used bottles and formula mostly (couldn't bf) but otherwise, so much of what you need depends on:

-the layout of your house
-whether you have pets
-parents' body type/ issues (like if one parent has a bad back, a stroller is more useful, as is a changing table)
-whether you walk and/or take public transportation and/or bike and/or drive when you go places
-whether there are other children in the house

And other factors I probably can't think of.
#17 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM

We use:

-car seat
-wrap and ring sling
-clothes (lap t's!)
-cloth diapers and wool pants/covers
-light blankets/receiving blankets
-bouncy seat, so I can strap baby somewhere safely when I need to do something for a minute...that way DD can't try to carry her around.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#18 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM

1. Car seat
2. Baby carrier (mei tai in my case)
3. Diapers
4. Something for baby to wear
5. Something to sop up the baby puke
6. Blankets--I actually like receiving blankets (plus, they fulfill #5)

We actually have a bouncy seat and swing. Nice to have, sure. Necessary? Heck no. Could totally live without them. Have a stroller, too. Have used it twice or three times since DD was born... and I walk DD1 to school every day!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#19 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM

I saw this yesterday too. What's funny is, the first item is car seat and I'm thinking "yeah but that's assuming you have a car and the author didn't even mention that assumption."

And then the list went downhill from there. Way downhill.

Now we do have a car, so the car seat was indeed on our must-have list.

Nothing else on the list was a must-have, though, for us. We didn't even HAVE any of those except the stroller, which my mother had a bug up her butt that we should have, but we've used it maybe twice. Maybe. (And didn't "need" it either time.)

My must-have list:
- Car seat
- Ergo

Um. I'm trying to think what else. It's about "gear" and the author specifically mentioned that clothing isn't on the list.

I have to say the kid's toilet seat we have is a must-have for me, our toilet is way too huge for my 4 year old to comfortably sit on. But that isn't baby gear.

OK, that's all I got.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#20 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My kids are (so far) both exclusively breast fed to 7 months and extensively breast fed past that, and we use bottles every day. Unless you are going to stay with your baby all the time (which I understand some people do), bottles are really handy.

The rest of the list gets a big "eh" from me too. We have strollers, but find it's often easier not to use them. We've never had a bouncy seat, and have no problem putting the baby down on a blanket or the carpeted floor when we need a break from holding her. In a pinch, she has no objection to hardwood or linoleum. I find the crib useful, but I can envision going without it.
#21 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM

I think the part that made me MOST was the what to do with the money you saved on not buying stuff "put it in college savings". Now, that's a wonderful idea. But the article is SO class-biased! Not everyone goes to college. Not everyone who goes to college does so with savings. Not everyone becomes a parent with the financial ability to pay for all that "stuff", or keeps that ability long-term. Aie, aie.

My list of things you could buy that a baby probably will need, depending on life circumstances:

Car seat (if you have/ride in a car regularly)
Carrier of some sort and/or a stroller
Diapers of some sort (unless you EC)
Clothes (you can buy enough for a newborn in most thrift stores for under $20)

If you are going to be apart from your infant - bottles and a pump. Don't go to formula until you must for some reason.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#22 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM

blah blah blah *formula* blah blah!
Gah that is so maddening. Even if you breastfeed you need formula. And bottles? WHY??? That is why so few mamas succeed with bf'ing!!

My list would be:

1. Boobs/pump
2. Big glass for water or some type of refillable water bottle
3. Diapers/wipes
4. Carseat (I agree w/this one)

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 PM

my list
boobs
car seat
diapers/wipes/diaper pail for cloth
clothes
ring sling

I have a 3 week old and thats all we use on a day to day basis. I have a bouncy seat and she doesn't care much for it...5 or 10 minutes at most. I have a hand pump and 1 bottle and we tried giving her a bottle last night and she hated that too. we have a bassinet and...guess what? doesn't like it.

the most important thing is the boobs.....

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#24 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
My kids are (so far) both exclusively breast fed to 7 months and extensively breast fed past that, and we use bottles every day. Unless you are going to stay with your baby all the time (which I understand some people do), bottles are really handy.
I never used them except for having to switch to formula for my medical problems with my first two at 8 and 2 months. I left my kids and my mom or dh always used a medicine cup or dropper to feed expressed milk if I was gone that long. Bottles are definitely not a "must" for most people-obviously if you can't bf or need to go work that's different.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#25 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I never used them except for having to switch to formula for my medical problems with my first two at 8 and 2 months. I left my kids and my mom or dh always used a medicine cup or dropper to feed expressed milk if I was gone that long. Bottles are definitely not a "must" for most people-obviously if you can't bf or need to go work that's different.
I'm an introvert and in order for AP to work for us, I really have to steal time alone. My DH starts taking babies out for little walks as soon as the weather permits, and I start taking trips from 1/2 hour building up to a couple hours as soon as I feel like I can. I've had 4 babies and none have ever had a bottle. That's not to say there's anything wrong with moms who do use them, but I don't think it's true that you can't make do without.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#26 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM

I do think that for most people IRL, that list is probably pretty accurate, in at least a general sense.

A car seat-most people do have cars and most people do take baby out of the house beyond down the street. Not to mention that driving baby around at night to get the baby to sleep when all else fails.

Bottles-even mamas who BF, a lot of them go to work. I don't agree that formula itself is necessary, but bottles, for I think most folks, they need the ability to get the baby the food they choose, even if they aren't there.

Stroller-I don't think the stoller itself is the necessity (it is for me) but some way to carry the baby not in your arms at least some of the time. Be it a stoller or ring sling or wrap or whatever. I do think some form of carrier is a necessity.

Bouncy Seat-again, I don't think the bouncy seat itself is a necessity, but someplace to set the baby down once or twice, be it a bouncy, a playpen, a swing, a bumbo, whereever.

Crib-again, the actual crib itself, not necessrily the necessity, but most people i think need someplace, other than mom and dad's bed, at least on occasion-some sort of co sleeper or bassinette or something.

So I don't think that those items specifically listed might be "necessities" but the ideas behind them might.
#27 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM

The only thing on that list that has not been "necessary" for us has been the crib. We have one, but never use it for sleeping. As for bottles, my kids have never had formula, but if I don't pump every morning for the first couple months, I would explode, and I'm not about to throw away 4-8 oz of fresh milk every day. We start our babies on taking the occasional bottle w/in the first week. This way I can go out w/ out the baby & we can even get a babysitter if we want. I'm not interested in cup or dropper feeding; haven't needed it b/c bottles have not interfered w/ our kids. Bottles are not an enemy, just another tool. We use our carriers a lot for infant/young toddler stages, but older toddler on up, it is either walk or ride in the stroller. And we have a double, so, yeah, we use it.

I would replace crib w/ Boppy pillow. LOVE my Boppies & they are good for sleeping!!!!!! Otherwise, I thought the idea of the article was great. It is so v true that there is a lot of stuff that you just. don't. need.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#28 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Here's my list.

Boobs for feeding

A good pump and bottles-I work outside of the home so this is the method of
feeding I chose to use while I'm gone. Never interferred with bfing.

Carseat of choice....love the convenience of a baby bucket but you can skip it if need to

Bouncy seat/swing/exersaucer- there was no one there to hold ds while I showered or made food or *insert whatever activity here* so the bouncy seat saved my life. When he outgrew that it became the excersaucer to contain him and keep him safe. Probably not a necessity for most but definitely for me.

A good ring sling

Diapers and clothes

Internet-Saved my sanity more than once lol

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#29 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
tzs

i dunno, considering who's writing it and who it's for (more mainsteam peeps) i think it's great. this is taking into consideration that most people walk around babies r us while preggos buying bedroom sets, decorating babies' rooms,
buying who-knows-what gadgets they don't even know they need.

and let's not get mad about the bottles comment. most people i know don't have the luxury of staying home with babe.

because we follow jewish tradition/superstition of not having anything for babies before they are born i can tell you that after our babe was born i sent hubby out and all we needed was a place to sleep (yeah, i like the crib...i couldn't get her to sleep in it for 6 weeks but when she finally did it was a dream,) some diapers, and 3 white onesies. or does the receiving blanket we "borrowed" from the hospital count?

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#30 of 67 Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM

My 5:

1.- A good baby carrier (wrap, sling, mei tai)
2.- Car seat...
3.- Phone number of Breast feeding support group (LLL) or Lactation consultant in case we need it....Meaning Boobs are must.
4.- Potty bowl (we do EC)
5.- Cloth diaper as back for EC.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page