vitamin D drop for newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Canadian Paediatric Society that exclusively breastfed babies should be given a vitamin D supplement every day.

I take DHA supplements that has 400 IU of vitamin D. I'm darker skinned - Asian. My husband is Caucasian.
My baby is about two weeks old and the weather here theses days is sunny. It's rainy from Oct - April.

I have not been out in the sun with the baby much yet as I'm focusing on recovering and breastfeeding my baby.

Is my baby at a risk of vitamin D deficiency? Will I need to give vitamin D drops to my baby?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM

I don't think you need to worry about giving drops in the summer.

I choose to give them to both my children (7mos and 4yrs) and my husband and I also take them too as new studies are showing that Vitamin D is very important in supporting/activating the immune system.

You can now get Vit D drops that are in oil as opposed to the ones with artificial flavour and sweetner. Most health food stores in BC seem to carry them now. If you can't find them you can also get them compounded in olive oil at a pharmacy.
#3 of 14 Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Now my son is 16 months and I know more about vitamin D, I wish I had given the drops to my son as a baby. Some mothers get their vit D levels tested first to see if they're deficient. I think I probably was.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#4 of 14 Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Your baby doesn't get much Vit. D from you. It is from the sun mostly at this point. Since you probably wont be putting your baby in the direct sun for 10-15 minutes a day, I would consider giving him the drops.
The drops my DW gives our DD is one drop per day, she puts it in her nipple before latching the baby on at the bedtime feeding. If you are bottle feeding you can put one drop on the bottle nipple or into the bottle.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post
The drops my DW gives our DD is one drop per day, she puts it in her nipple before latching the baby on at the bedtime feeding. If you are bottle feeding you can put one drop on the bottle nipple or into the bottle.
This is what we use, it's probably the same thing. Whole Foods carries it, or you can find it online (it's cheaper at amazon.com). It's great because it has no color/flavor and they only need a drop. We originally got some vitamin D compounded from a pharmacy, but had to give DS a whole dropper full, which was a pain. I generally skip it if we're out in the sun that day.
#6 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM

nak. i take 4000 IU vit D/day, which has been shown to pass enough to baby through breastmilk. once winter rolls around and my ds is taking solids (after 6 mo) i'll supplement.

(i have been tested and my levels are ok.)
#7 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 AM

I take 6500 iu's a day which makes the available level of vitamin D in the breastmilk 400 iu's.
After she starts to have more solids than milk, I will supplement with drops. You could get your level tested. Living in an area without much sun and only taking 400 iu's, you probably are deficient.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
I take 6500 iu's a day which makes the available level of vitamin D in the breastmilk 400 iu's.
i hadn't heard this - do you mind posting your reference? i'm taking 4,000 iu/day but will increase with good evidence! thx (nak)
#9 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
i hadn't heard this - do you mind posting your reference? i'm taking 4,000 iu/day but will increase with good evidence! thx (nak)
Sure.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/VitDGen...level%2007.pdf

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vi...stfeeding.html
Page 1145 of this one has the specific bit about maternal supplementation.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...122/5/1142.pdf

I read in a lot of places also that 4000 iu's definitely increases the serum vitamin d level of the infants but that 6400 is better. I only take 6500 because it is easier.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Sora - your 400 / day is not enough. If possible, have your D3 levels tested. I think the test here in the US is (OH)D. Your level should be at least 50. The normal range for my test is 50 - 75.

My baby was born last year and every sunny warm day, I'd bring her outside for 10 minutes in just a diaper. I had her tummy side up for 5 minutes and then turn her over for another 5 minutes.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#11 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM

There is no exact amount of vitamin D that everyone should take. We're all different and it depends on a lot of factors. Dr. Cannell, the director of the Vitamin D Council says that pregnant and lactating women should get about 5,000 IU to maintain their own levels and the levels of their babies. You may need a lot more since you've only been taking 400 IUs and you have darker skin. Dr. Cannell suggests starting with at least 5000 IUs and then get tested after a few months. Here is a link to research regarding pregnancy and lactation and vitamin D: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/researchPregnancy.shtml

I recently did an interview with Dr. Cannell and it's posted at http://www.healthychild.com/immune-s...bies-children/

He goes into great detail about supplementation in this interview.

Jane

Healthy Child Empowers Parents to Make Informed Choices. Free Webinars and Articles on Holistic Parenting
#12 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 PM

I just asked my naturopath about this (who is our pediatrician) - she said she didn't recommend supplementing until 6 months, that until then she looked at mom and baby as one functional unit. At 6 months, she recommends 1000 IU of D a day for the baby. They have drops that are easy to administer (found at the health food store or vitamin store). I usually take between 2000-4000IU a day for myself.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#13 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 PM

I would agree with that but only if the mom has adequate levels herself. If not, then the baby may need to be supplemented in order to not be deficient.

Jane

Healthy Child Empowers Parents to Make Informed Choices. Free Webinars and Articles on Holistic Parenting
#14 of 14 Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Hi,

Canadian Paediatric Society that exclusively breastfed babies should be given a vitamin D supplement every day.

I take DHA supplements that has 400 IU of vitamin D. I'm darker skinned - Asian. My husband is Caucasian.
My baby is about two weeks old and the weather here theses days is sunny. It's rainy from Oct - April.

I have not been out in the sun with the baby much yet as I'm focusing on recovering and breastfeeding my baby.

Is my baby at a risk of vitamin D deficiency? Will I need to give vitamin D drops to my baby?

Thanks.
You can assume you are Vitamin D deficient. The amount of D in your supplement is what your newborn needs, not an adult. I live in the northern US (MN) and I am pregnant. I'll definitely give my baby Vitamin D supplements from birth. Even in summer, it's hard to get enough D from the sun when you are in the north. In spring or winter, you wouldn't make enough from the sun even if you spend all day outside.

Carlson's makes a great one that requires just a drop on the tongue and won't hurt baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page