Feb 2010 DDC May chat thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I need to get off this computer and go to sleep with my dh and baby who are up there in bed already. I am so tired I should be sleeping. blah blah blah.
My peeps are all in bed too--late nights are my "me" time!

AustinKate, my DS does sort of what you describe sometimes and it seems to be gas related. He'll burb (or spit up) and then feel better and then want to nurse more without all the wriggling around.

And I'm gagging about the BHG article and about chocolate formula, but Nicole, the way you are using it seems smart. The concept makes me gag because I'm sure moms will use it for newborns, and somewhere someone is saying, "well, I tried nursing but I wasn't sure milk was really coming out, and when I fed him/her a bottle of chocolate formula he/she just gobbled it up, so I know they were hungry and I just wasn't making milk." Bleah. So many ways for breastfeeding to be sabatoged! But it makes me actually feel better that the same product may help get nutrition and calories in a picky 3-year-old!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Hey ladies! Didn't know why the other thread got so quiet until I checked in at the DDC (I'm lazy and just usually go to my subscribed threads). Here you all are!

Feeling MUCH better. Thursday night last week I was in crying-in-the-middle-of-the-night pain with the shingles and the next day was little better, but the pain ointment showed up on Friday and it got a little better. Now it's nice to know I'm on the mend - it's just itchy and aggravating now, but I don't jump when my clothes or sheets touch my back anymore, thank goodness!

August is SO freaking cute lately! He's just found his voice and is soooo chatty and adorable. My favorite thing is that when someone (not me) is rocking him to sleep, he "sings" himself to sleep. Makes me puddle!

He's also found his feet, which is hilarious. It's like his face is saying, "Have you SEEN these things?! Amazing!!"

The boys and I are at my parents' house this week, so I'm catching a LOT of breaks with my mom around all the time - it is just what the doctor ordered.

DTD: haven't done it, have no desire, don't want to do it. Luckily I don't think we tried doing it after DS1 was born for like 10 months, so DH has no expectations of anything anytime soon! I didn't get my post-partum period back for like 15 months the first time.

Katie - it can feel so isolating. I agree with the PP who said to make yourself a routine/schedule for your own sanity. The gym was a big lifesaver for me when DS1 was a little older, as was LLL meetings and then spinoff mom/baby playdates at people's houses. It's great that you're reaching out to other moms in your area.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
m
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 AM

I
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my goodness, Look at his [Teo] cheeks! So squeezable!

Here is Lucy @ 12 weeks (taken 2 days ago). She is so sweet, we love her so much!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9536696...n/photostream/

closeup - we are curious to see if her eyes will remain blue. The three of us have greenish eyes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9536696...n/photostream/

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Keeta, glad you are feeling better and things are on the mend!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM

We've DTD twice but I have no interest in it myself. I'm glad it's not weird.

My hair is also coming out. I hate it, and can't stand long hairs sticking to my skin. I try to get as much of it out in the shower as I can but it still gets everywhere.

I'm feeling bad because Elsa still doesn't like anyone. She always cries for anyone who isn't me, even if they're not strangers. We see my in-laws every week and usually more than that but they can't even hold her for a minute before she's wailing.

And then there's her size. I don't know what she weighs for sure, but using a scale to weigh myself and then pick her up and find the difference has shown that she could be 17 pounds. She's only thirteen weeks old, and four weeks ago she was 14,2. That doesn't seem right at all, and I would dismiss it as scale error but she seems like she's outgrowing her small diapers and covers that are supposed to go to 18 lbs. She is already in red edge prefolds.

I know in my head that if I'm bfing she is getting what she needs and growing at her proper pace, but I worry anyway. I've struggled with my weight all my life and the last thing I want is to set my daughter up for the same. She's also 25 inches long so she's going to be big no matter what but it's hard when I can't let go.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 PM

hugs and sorry you are worried ninetales. I wouldn't worry about her weight and height right now as a determinant of later weight and height. She sounds like she is growing beautifully and there is so much change in the first year. The percentiles once you get to a year are more of an indicator of the percentiles she will track on when she is older. PLUS....breastfed babies have much leaner body mass and are healthier over all as adults. Much less obesity etc. I just finished my master's in nutrition with a concentration in lactation so I could go on forever about this! Just know that there are soooo many different factors that go into how your baby will be as an adult and as a child. Right now you are doing the very best thing for her! Just let her grow and keep doing the great job you are!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Hugs Ninetales - I worry for the opposite reason, I'm convinced he's not gaining enough! Our 4 month appointment is Friday so I'll get an accurate weight, but I'm only getting 15 pounds here - and he was nearly 10 at birth! But heightwise I'm getting 26-26.5" so he's super tall!

I don't have a good recent pic, though I did get this one the other day - what color would you call those eyes?! It's been a huge debate at our house.

http://img4.glowfoto.com/images/2010...013147264M.jpg

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 PM

ok teo is adorable and lucy is so beautiful! These babies are just taking off! Weren't we just pregnant?
My hair is falling out everywhere too. It is so annoying!
Keeta I am sooo glad you are feeling better. Shingles sounds ridiculously painful
OH and I second what Nicole730 said about baby probiotics and gas, it works like a charm!
Ok time for baby pics, he is now almost 4.5 months old!
playing on the floor
cute boy
naked baby on play mat!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post

I don't have a good recent pic, though I did get this one the other day - what color would you call those eyes?! It's been a huge debate at our house.

http://img4.glowfoto.com/images/2010...013147264M.jpg
hmm hard to say they look like his outfit color. they are cute, is that a color...

Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Haha, thanks, but I don't think cute is a color. I'm not even sure what color the outfit is, sort of an olive-brown-gray.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM

NicoleS- I'd call those eyes blue, but they look kind of gray to me.

Mama to three

Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 PM

nicoleS- Blue- what do you debate between?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Katie - it really depends on what he's wearing. I think that they are going to eventually be brown like his siblings - maybe not the super dark brown like Shane has, but the lighter brown that the girls have. DH swears his eyes are blue and doesn't see any brown in them at all.

I have very light blue, my mom has blue, and my dad had green. I have one sister with green eyes, and then my other sister and brother have blue. DH has the almost-black brown eyes, his mom has brown and his dad his brown and his half brother has brown. His mom's mom had blue though, so there is a tiny slim chance there are some recessive genes that would allow us to have a lighter-eyed baby, but I'm not too hopeful.

On another note, I'm worried about my uterus. I'm still spotting - and Caleb will be 4 months on Saturday. I called my OB, and he's having me go in for an u/s next Tuesday. He thinks that either 1) my uterus is just thin so my c/s is not healing as quickly as it should and so is oozing, resulting in the spotting or 2) my lovely gift from mother nature is trying to arrive but the BFing is messing with my hormones so much my lining is getting shed as fast as it can be made. Hopefully the u/s will give us an idea of what is up.

The only problem is - if it's #1, the normal course of treatment is to do a 7-10 course of estrogen. Which the problems are 1) I'm BFing and 2) I'm supposed to stay away from hormone treatments because of my migraines. My neuro said if worse comes to worse she could prescribe me some painkillers for that week, but that doesn't solve the BFing issue. If it's #2, then basically I'm stuck spotting until my body gets itself under control and starts to cycle again.

I feel so broken.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM

NicoleS - if it is something with your uterus, can you wait on the hormone treatment until after you are done nursing? or at least until the baby is a lot older?

Mama to three

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM

hmm, I haven't gotten mine checked out yet but I bled/spotted for 11 weeks pp and then I have off and on about every two weeks for a week or longer since then. I had some hormone issues before I got pg and had to take progesterone to shed my uterine lining b/c I wasn't fully shedding it for a few months. I am hoping that won't be the case this time. It is really frustrating to still be spotting though. I commiserate.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
NicoleS - if it is something with your uterus, can you wait on the hormone treatment until after you are done nursing? or at least until the baby is a lot older?
I don't know. If my incision isn't healing properly I don't know how good it is to not treat it, KWIM? I'll have to talk to my OB about the pros and cons if that is the case. If it's just my cycle wants to start but can't, then I guess I'll learn to like pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
hmm, I haven't gotten mine checked out yet but I bled/spotted for 11 weeks pp and then I have off and on about every two weeks for a week or longer since then. I had some hormone issues before I got pg and had to take progesterone to shed my uterine lining b/c I wasn't fully shedding it for a few months. I am hoping that won't be the case this time. It is really frustrating to still be spotting though. I commiserate.
Was this a one time thing or all the time? Have you talked to your doctor about your spotting? I'm just getting sick of having to wear a pad all the time. The disposable ones cause me to break out and the mamacloth ones slide around too much on me.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Was this a one time thing or all the time? Have you talked to your doctor about your spotting? I'm just getting sick of having to wear a pad all the time. The disposable ones cause me to break out and the mamacloth ones slide around too much on me.
what mama cloth are you using? I've NEVER had that problem with Amaz Padz!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM

We just booked a disney mediterranean cruise for august. OMG are we nutso!? Right now the big decision is do we want late seating at 8:30 or early at 6. It is VERY port heavy and most of the cities are like 1 hour away ie Rome, Florence, Pisa, etc. She has been kind of a late girl and the travel agent said that I would be rushed trying to make it to 6 pm and it might be better to nap with her after the ports, nurse in the dark, and hope she'll sleep in a stroller at dinner. That is what her kid did anyways. I was planning on renting a disney stroller though bc we don't own a small one! LOL.-- well we do own a chicco travel system stroller that MIL gave us bc she just had a kid two years ago, but it seems so BIG to bring it on a plane, etc.

Also, I have no problem NIPing but reading some of these cruise message boards they are like, "Just don't nurse your baby in the dining room lol lol lol" As if someone would be in idiot to even consider such a thing... ummmm.... is it that odd to nurse your baby in a cruise dining room? It'll be in Europe, so maybe the odd Americans who hate NIP won't be there.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
what mama cloth are you using? I've NEVER had that problem with Amaz Padz!
I don't know, just some liners I bought off another mom who had thought she was going to use MC and then didn't. I think they are a WAHM brand and they look like flannel. I just use the liners - if my flow gets heavier I have a Diva cup which I like better - I've never been fond of pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
We just booked a disney mediterranean cruise for august. OMG are we nutso!? Right now the big decision is do we want late seating at 8:30 or early at 6. It is VERY port heavy and most of the cities are like 1 hour away ie Rome, Florence, Pisa, etc. She has been kind of a late girl and the travel agent said that I would be rushed trying to make it to 6 pm and it might be better to nap with her after the ports, nurse in the dark, and hope she'll sleep in a stroller at dinner. That is what her kid did anyways. I was planning on renting a disney stroller though bc we don't own a small one! LOL.-- well we do own a chicco travel system stroller that MIL gave us bc she just had a kid two years ago, but it seems so BIG to bring it on a plane, etc.

Also, I have no problem NIPing but reading some of these cruise message boards they are like, "Just don't nurse your baby in the dining room lol lol lol" As if someone would be in idiot to even consider such a thing... ummmm.... is it that odd to nurse your baby in a cruise dining room? It'll be in Europe, so maybe the odd Americans who hate NIP won't be there.
No idea on the timing thing, but I say nurse wherever your baby wants to eat!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM

So...I had thought maybe we'd DTD for our 3 year anniversary (today!) and sure enough AF makes her second appearance yesterday. Oh well. One of these days we'll get around to it.

DD is still being a perfect little baby, sleeping quite a bit and happy to be awake. She did spit up quite a bit more yesterday, anyone know if that can be AF related? I didn't eat anything I haven't eaten before.

We're stuck at home all week because DS is potty training. He's doing great, but I don't feel like putting him in a diaper so we can leave the house. Fortunately it's been nice out.

Mama to three

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Can I send my DS over? He's about the same age and showing absolutely no interest.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Can I send my DS over? He's about the same age and showing absolutely no interest.
Sure you can. DS didn't really show interest either, although I've been talking it up quite a bit the last month or so. I just bought a bag of M&Ms and stripped him down. So far, so good. I have a train book for him once he poos in the potty, all yesterday he obsessed over getting the book but wouldn't poop in the potty. We'll get there I guess.

Mama to three

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Was this a one time thing or all the time? Have you talked to your doctor about your spotting? I'm just getting sick of having to wear a pad all the time. The disposable ones cause me to break out and the mamacloth ones slide around too much on me.[/QUOTE]

The spotting lasted several months- like November to March. I could show with my charting that I wasn't ovulating (um good luck with that when waking up with a kid) so I had to take progesterone for five days. One "round" of hormones was all my body needed to really shed my uterine lining when I finally ovulated. I HATE pads. I still haven't talked to my doctor about my spotting yet, I am planning on scheduling the visit in the next week or two. I honestly didn't want to hear that I am just going to have to deal with it until my hormones get back on track. Have you tried the natracare disposable pads? They don't have anything on them that can make you get irritated. I can't use regular disposable bc I get super irritated. Is the diva cup really that great? I have heard lots about it but never tried it out.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Hi Mamas! I so love not having to click through the I'm Pregnant board to get to ya'll. Maybe one day I'll want to be pregnant again, but right now I am just completely in love with my one little baby. He's adorable, what can I say.

We are getting ready for our first flights next week. We are taking baby to Spain to meet the fam. They are ready to gush all over him. Two family members have dreamed (what dreampt isn't a word?) about him already.... Methinks they are just a bit baby crazy! Of course this is because he is the first great grandchild of all the cousins. I'm a bit scared, but at least this visit isn't all about what I'm wearing!

My family = me + dh & ds +
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Long time no chat! For those who don't remember me, I had my twins 10 weeks early back in December. And I have my little man: he turned two in January.

So the girls will be 6 months old next week, but they are about 3.5 months adjusted. We have Early Intervention come to see them every few weeks and they are doing very well and just where they 'should' be for their adjusted age. We've been very lucky: no major health problems thus far. They've both been STTN for the last few weeks, although I get up to breast pump...I've still been doing that 8x/day. The girls do get some formula: I don't make enough for both of them. But all but one of their bottles is BM.

My son adores his sisters, although he's going through a whiny stage. He's two. Its to be expected.

I'm doing ok. Tired since I'm pumping in the middle of the night. Still having health problems: bad stomach acid and I am currently checking out options to have my severe diastasis and hernia repaired. But we're hanging in there.

Oh, and as for DTD...ha. My libido sucks right now.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
The spotting lasted several months- like November to March. I could show with my charting that I wasn't ovulating (um good luck with that when waking up with a kid) so I had to take progesterone for five days. One "round" of hormones was all my body needed to really shed my uterine lining when I finally ovulated. I HATE pads. I still haven't talked to my doctor about my spotting yet, I am planning on scheduling the visit in the next week or two. I honestly didn't want to hear that I am just going to have to deal with it until my hormones get back on track. Have you tried the natracare disposable pads? They don't have anything on them that can make you get irritated. I can't use regular disposable bc I get super irritated. Is the diva cup really that great? I have heard lots about it but never tried it out.
I haven't tried the natracare ones - do you order those online? I personally really liked the diva cup - I still have to empty it pretty frequently the first couple of days of my cycle (I have a 5-7 day cycle normally, the first 2-3 are pretty heavy), but for the second half of the week I can go the full 12 hours! And it's just as comfortable as wearing a tampon.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 AM

flavorfull1 - I really like my Diva cup too, but I only had two cycles with it before I got pregnant. I had some spotting with it, when it wasn't anywhere near full. But I have some spotting with tampons too. I haven't tried it yet because I feel as htough I'm still too stretched out down there to keep it in right now.

Mama to three

Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Interesting, I will have to go and check one out, I would love to not have to use tampons. can you wear the cup swimming? I still haven't used tampons since having DS. First,though, I will schedule that doctor's appt NicoleS I get the natracare pads at Whole Foods. They seem to be the only place that carries them around where I live- which is highly populated so I don't know if you would need to order them?
Zevy! I am so glad you and your girls are doing well. It sounds like you are still doing amazing with your pumping. I admire you, I HATE pumping! Glad to hear from you again!
Last night I had to crawl to bed by 10pm. Malachi is doing the whole 4 mo sleep regression thing. (not sure if I already posted that? again, no sleep). So we now have a rocking chair and a sound machine. Hopefully this will help some. He has also been eating like mad and it felt like my supply was getting low. I really should have left it all alone but I took some alfalfa tablets and mother's milk tea. I ended up with a swollen leaky breast and pain. I was definitely fighting off mastitis last night, I really don't want to end up there again. So I went to bed, hydrated, and slept hard. luckily malachi had a pretty good night so I didnt have to wake up too many times. Like six times last night instead of 10 or 12. sigh. I want my 2 times a night thing back, whine!

User Tag List