Feb 2010 DDC May chat thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 months tomorrow, so a few pics. Will update with his stats after out appointment this afternoon.

http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...614367754T.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...614395535T.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...614426108T.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...614468077T.jpg

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#62 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Caleb is sooo cute! Look at those cheeks!

Here are some recent shots of August:
Cute face
Smiley face
With dada

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#63 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Aww the one with dad is too funny!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#64 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
okay-
#65 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Katie34 - I go through phases where dad not being around the kids really upsets me. In my opinon, he should devote the two hours a day he has after work and before bedtime to being with them. I get really upset when he wants to go work on projects during that time. Not only do I think he should get some quality playtime in, I also enjoy the break at the end of the day.

I think the children just have different relationships with each parent, and in my case, as a SAHM, DH is going to be the guy they don't see as often, but get to have playtime with when they do.

In your situation, it could also be that your DH doesn't know what to do with your son yet. Sure, you can do some smiles and cuddles, but then maybe DH feels useless with the baby? I know my DH enjoyed DS more once he could play and interact. DH is also a lot more comfortable with DD as a baby than he was with DS.

Mama to three

#66 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Leave baby with dad alone and go somewhere. Dads are often afraid of doing things 'wrong', so sometimes you have to force them into figuring out their own ways of handling baby. Dad may even say, "No, don't go!", but go. It's good for dad and baby and you!

PS. Video from this afternoon (41 seconds): Juju laughing at sister Isabella

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#67 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM

the
#68 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 PM

I'm somewhat lucky in that my DH's schedule allows him to be home a lot more than most. But I do agree with the other Nicole - it's quite possible he's not sure what to really do with the baby. My DH has gotten better as the kids have gotten older.

Caleb had his 4 month appointment today. He is 15 lbs. 5 oz, 26" tall, and has a 17.75" head. That's roughly 65% for weight, 85% for height, and off the top of the chart for head. Unfortunately, he's gained less than 2 pounds in the last two months, and dropped nearly 20 percentiles for weight, so we are watching his weight more closely. At this point we aren't sure if he's just becoming long and lean like my other kids or if there is actually a problem.

The pedi was totally fine with me spreading the vaccines out after the reaction he had at 2 months. He thinks that it is possible he had an allergic reaction to something. So we will be doing one vaccine a week as long as he doesn't have a reaction to keep him somewhat on schedule, and we are doing them in order of "most likely to kill him if he caught it". He said that if he does have a reaction again they would send us to an allergist to check for an allergy. If he does have an allergy to something in the vaccines then either 1) they won't do it if it's something he's at low risk of contracting and/or dying from or 2) if it is something that would be serious if contracted then we will get the vaccine from the immunologist so that they can monitor for and treat any potential reactions right there. And with the weekly vaccines for awhile we will also be able to keep a closer eye on his weight. I suspect that with my health issues and the slow gain that our BFing relationship will be ending sooner rather than later, but just taking it day by day at this point.

Other than that he looks good. The pedi said he couldn't weigh in on the eye color debate, so if anyone wants to hazard a guess off the pics I posted earlier, let me know, LOL.

#69 of 107 Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Another thought Katie - could some of this "anger" towards your DH be related to your feeling isolated where you are at? Have you been able to get out of the house more? Even though we all love our LOs, it can be emotionally draining to be the one providing 100% of the care 100% of the time...maybe finding a way to give yourself a mental break would help?

#70 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Loving your alls pics! Amarat, the one of JuJu cracking up is adorable.
I'll add mine to the record, here's a video celebrating that he's three months.

Katie, my DH works really long hours. We do a couple things to help, one is that we keep our kids up late and I sleep in with them in the morning, which maximizes their awake time when he's around. I also have a nightly ritual of taking a bath alone, which means Dad is on duty, by himself, every night, for at least as along as it takes me to bathe and read a couple magazine articles, even if it means the kids are screaming because Dad doesn't know all the tricks. My DD was much older than these LOs before she started liking Dad a lot, but now she totally prefers him because he's so fun when he's around.

Reading the AF posts...considering the Diva cup. Won't order until AF actually returns, though, because no way am I going to jinx myself!

Zevy, good to hear from you! Glad your twins are doing well, but sorry about the 'round the clock pumping.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#71 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM

What "words" (baby talk) do your LO's say? I know mine is younger than most of yours, but he is starting to make a lot more sounds. I am curious if his words are universal or if all babies say different things.
He says- "a-gwa" "gwa" "Gooo"
#72 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Lauren31, I took my first baby on a cruise when he was 6 months old. We went with my parents and my mom babysat during excursions, so I'm not much help with the scheduling of that, but breastfed babies are portable, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try to take him parasailing or something. I was soo glad mine was nursing when we were trying to fly to our departure city - our flight was so badly delayed that we didn't get there until after 5 in the morning, but I just hjeld the baby and nursed him when he fidgeted, and people around us on the plane said they didn't even know there was a baby there.

I did breastfeed in the dining room and no one said anything. I did use a cover, but since most formal wear isn't designed for easy nursing access that was probably best, with some of those dresses you have to basically take the whole thing off.

I really liked the Diva cup when I first used it. Yes, you can swim with it! I had trouble later on with leaking and getting mine to fit right, but at first it was perfect, it was like I wasn't even having my period. *sigh* We'll see how things go next time I try... But I'm really hoping I won't have to for a long time! No sign of AF yet! *knock on wood*

My husband freaked me out the other day when he mostly-jokingly suggested going ahead and trying for our third now, just to get things over with. !!! Crazy person... He was like, "Well, we're getting close to the two-years-apart mark now, so..." Um, NO! Barely a year apart if I got pregnant now. Heh.

Katie34, I know the feeling. My husband works longer days Mon-Thurs so he can take a half day Fri. He likes it, but I get really tired of him being gone by the time evening rolls around. And I'm going to be gone with the kids for nearly three weeks next month, visiting relatives with my parents, and he doesn't have that kind of time off... but three weeks is so long with a little baby! He is doing better this time around, though. With our first, he could hardly hold the baby without him starting to cry - it was easier to leave the baby with my mom than with him. Way better this time, but I hope the vacation doesn't mess that up...
#73 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Forgot to mention, Ju had a pedi appt Thursday...15.8 lbs! (@ 3.5 mos developmental, 5.5 mos actual) But half the visit was the pedi marking her weight on his stupid charts. Last time (2 mos ago), it was "She's almost too small", and now that she is FINALLY chunkalicious (lots more formula than breastmilk now ), the stupid CHART says, "She's almost too BIG". (Dumb chart needs to shut UP!) OH, AND, I pointed out to the doc that he had the wrong date on something, so he had to RE-DO the weight mark from two months ago on his chart, and the NEW mark shows that she was doing FINE then--NOT "too small". See how stupid charts are?! But I like the pedi overall because he is super-supportive of breastfeeding. Like fanatically so. I love love love that because we need all the help we can get.

Anyway, *I* think Juju looks normal. I think she looks GREAT, actually. I look back at her skinny newborn pics and feel SO RELIEVED at how sturdy my baby is now. Sometimes when I'm changing her diapers, I just HAVE to spend time rubbing her amazingly chubby thighs! They are DELICIOUS! And I expected the pedi to be proud of us and amazed when he saw her this time, not a total party-pooper. Hmph.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#74 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM

This was my morning: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=81111d3816

Then I went and saw "Babies" with a friend.

#75 of 107 Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 PM

nak

aramat-that video is too adorable. Her laughter is so precious!

NicoleS-I'm jealous...we don't have Babies in theaters here. Did you like it? Also, the bat pics are crazy!

Baby talk: he started off with "aah" and "oh" and those are still his favorites. He makes his mouth into a little cheerio and says "Ohhh" and then grins! Now he also says "ooh" and "uh". he's started on consonant noises now. "Guh" and "goo" are the most common, but we get an occasional "buh" or "bah" or "wuh" now. He's started "muuuhhhh" lengthened when he's getting upset, so of course I'm hoping that will turn into "ma" so I can pretend he's calling for me

We're flying home to see family and the beach Wednesday. Any suggestions other than BFing during takeoff/landing?

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#76 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM

I loved it! It wasn't quite what I expected - no narration like a typical documentary you see on the Discovery Channel or anything. Basically just short video clips flipping back and forth between the four babies and you watched them grow up. Interesting to see the cultural differences between different people, yet at the same time seeing the same things repeated across cultures - like apparently blowing raspberries into babies' necks to make them laugh is universally cute! Just goes to show you that deep down we aren't that different after all.

#77 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
What "words" (baby talk) do your LO's say? I know mine is younger than most of yours, but he is starting to make a lot more sounds. I am curious if his words are universal or if all babies say different things.
He says- "a-gwa" "gwa" "Gooo"
Elsa does Ahs, ooohs, gooo, gaaa, and then she seriously 'coos', like a bird or something. It's adorable. She laughs now too! Not a ton yet, but still, so sweet.

NicoleS and Aramat - I saw Babies too. I loved it!

Mama to three

#78 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM

To
#79 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM

I'm listening for baby babbles in both languages. This guy babbles more in Hebrew (certain sounds in Hebrew that don't exist in English and vice versa). He can also say Ema and Abba which means "mom" and "dad" respectively in Hebrew. So that's neat. I'm not sure if he's using it with purpose yet, but dh is working his butt off trying to get him to call him Abba. lol. He was like that with the other kids, too.

I haven't written much about the baby. There is still so much going on here. But he's fine and all is well. He loves to be held, so he spends most every second in the mei tai. I don't like using the toilet with him in it, but I do whatever I need too to keep baby content (read: not crying) and safe from the OVERlove he is getting from big brother and sister. lol.

He's a big boy, though. And my whole body is feeling the nonstop baby wearing.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#80 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
nak

aramat-that video is too adorable. Her laughter is so precious!

NicoleS-I'm jealous...we don't have Babies in theaters here. Did you like it? Also, the bat pics are crazy!

Baby talk: he started off with "aah" and "oh" and those are still his favorites. He makes his mouth into a little cheerio and says "Ohhh" and then grins! Now he also says "ooh" and "uh". he's started on consonant noises now. "Guh" and "goo" are the most common, but we get an occasional "buh" or "bah" or "wuh" now. He's started "muuuhhhh" lengthened when he's getting upset, so of course I'm hoping that will turn into "ma" so I can pretend he's calling for me

We're flying home to see family and the beach Wednesday. Any suggestions other than BFing during takeoff/landing?
No suggestions as we will be taking our flights the same day as you! Good luck Although I guess this stage is great for flying as our babies aren't mobile yet.
I'm slightly worried about the beach? We'll be spending lots of time there too! How are you guys planning to hang out? Obviously this year won't be the year for a killer tan. I assume I be nursing a lot in the shade. We bought a sun hat. How do you plan on protecting baby skin from the sun???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I loved it! It wasn't quite what I expected - no narration like a typical documentary you see on the Discovery Channel or anything. Basically just short video clips flipping back and forth between the four babies and you watched them grow up. Interesting to see the cultural differences between different people, yet at the same time seeing the same things repeated across cultures - like apparently blowing raspberries into babies' necks to make them laugh is universally cute! Just goes to show you that deep down we aren't that different after all.
Ooooh, I want to see it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Today Teo and I had a conversation LOL !
It went like this:
him- ah-gghhhhh
me- ah ghhhhh
him- ah ghhhh
me -ah ghhhh

so on and then
him- ehr- ghhhh
me- erh ghhh

Anyway- basically I was repeating back to him what he said- but he seemed to actually listen and understand that I was saying that and then he would say it again. He would pause and listen to my response and then smile and make the same sounds again! It was fun!
Iago totally has the constanants 'b' and 'm' worked out. He also makes back in the throat gurgling and some pretty loud inhale noises. The cutest thing though is he makes a 'brrrr' sound (like a sputtering engine) with loose lips. It's adorable!!! I love baby conversations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I'm listening for baby babbles in both languages. This guy babbles more in Hebrew (certain sounds in Hebrew that don't exist in English and vice versa). He can also say Ema and Abba which means "mom" and "dad" respectively in Hebrew. So that's neat. I'm not sure if he's using it with purpose yet, but dh is working his butt off trying to get him to call him Abba. lol. He was like that with the other kids, too.

I haven't written much about the baby. There is still so much going on here. But he's fine and all is well. He loves to be held, so he spends most every second in the mei tai. I don't like using the toilet with him in it, but I do whatever I need too to keep baby content (read: not crying) and safe from the OVERlove he is getting from big brother and sister. lol.

He's a big boy, though. And my whole body is feeling the nonstop baby wearing.
Iago will be learning two languages at home (Spanish and English) and one in the street (French). I find listening for individual sounds fascinating!

And to commiserate with you Jul, my husband was wearing Iago in the Ergo while we were out shopping and he peed in a public toilet with him in it. I was busy scarfing down food (with two hands!!!) so I didn't even think about it till after, haha.

My family = me + dh & ds +
#81 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM

I probably use the toilet half the time with the baby. Either because I'm wearing her or because I have to keep her safe from her brother.

Mama to three

#82 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Juju isn't doing much in the way of consonant sounds; she is doing more operatic singing. But she does have conversations with me, pausing for my responses and smiling. LOVE IT!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#83 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
I probably use the toilet half the time with the baby. Either because I'm wearing her or because I have to keep her safe from her brother.
Only thing that bothers me about peeing while babywearing--the looks I get when I exit a public toilet with him still on!
What am I supposed to do, though? We don't even use the infant seat anymore at all--he's happier in the convertible, so it's not like I can drag him around in that, even if I wanted to.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#84 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM

I've done the peeing while babywearing - it takes some practice though and I don't do it at home, only when we're out. I am still using the infant carrier - he's got another 2" before he's too tall and then we'll have to invest in a convertible seat. It's a tossup as to whether I wear or use the carseat when we're out - if it's a longer trip out I often wear him unless he fell asleep in the car, but if it's just run in and out I just stick with the seat.

I did get this cute pic of him in the mei tai on Saturday:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1713670_n.jpg

#85 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I've done the peeing while babywearing - it takes some practice though and I don't do it at home, only when we're out. I am still using the infant carrier - he's got another 2" before he's too tall and then we'll have to invest in a convertible seat. It's a tossup as to whether I wear or use the carseat when we're out - if it's a longer trip out I often wear him unless he fell asleep in the car, but if it's just run in and out I just stick with the seat.

I did get this cute pic of him in the mei tai on Saturday:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1713670_n.jpg
adorable!!!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#86 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM

hes a cutie!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#87 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 04:26 PM

Ben started out with the usual ah-goohs and gurgles. Right now he's yodeling... He makes a continuous sound that goes up and down in pitch. It's funny. He also says something that sounds just like "oh yeah!"
#88 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post
I'm slightly worried about the beach? We'll be spending lots of time there too! How are you guys planning to hang out? Obviously this year won't be the year for a killer tan. I assume I be nursing a lot in the shade. We bought a sun hat. How do you plan on protecting baby skin from the sun???
I'm very pale skinned and can burn in winter walking from a building to the car (no joke) so I'm being extra careful on the beach with him.

Clothes: long sleeved rash guard swim shirt, swim trunks to his knees, and a sun hat
Other precautions: a water sling that supposedly blocks the same as SPF 30, a beach umbrella or tent, going only in the morning or evening

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#89 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Is it horrible that I don't overly worry about Caleb in the sun? Or any of my kids really. I just have the boys wear hats (for their bald heads) and try to avoid being out at midday, but I really only worry about sunscreen if we are going to be outside all day...just an hour at the playground I don't.

#90 of 107 Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM

L

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page