So how long does this 4 month sleep regression last? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has been an okay sleeper but never fantastic but lately it's gone to crap! She at least used to do one 6 hour stretch, nurse then sleep another 4, nurse then sleep two and up for the day but now she's up every 2-3 hours for the past week and a half. Some nights she just wants to be up and hanging out at one in the morning - ugh!!!!! She usually latches on but most times would prefer to have the pacifier in. I'm a zombie. I'm trying to nap but DS and DD don't nap at the same time every day yet. She has started rolling over and maybe she is working on something else but in the meantime I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel...........

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 PM

I don't want to be a downer by my DS is 9.5 months and I'm still looking for the light. Let me know if you catch a glimpse Sorry, I know that's not helpful.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS just turned 1 and I *still* don't think we're back to how it was when he was 2 or 3 months old...but then again, he started sleeping 10 hours through the night at 7 weeks, so it was a pretty high bar!

We just found a new normal...and then, just as it was starting to become "normal," something else would come along and disrupt it again. So all that to say that maybe it never really ends? Sorry, I know that probably isn't what you wanted to hear...

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Our son is almost the exact same age as your daughter and he was fantastic until recently. He's starting to teethe so that's probably part of it and also I think he gets so excited about all the new stuff he learns that he gets pretty riled up. I think a lot of it is the incredible amount of brain connections being made. There's just so much going on that who the heck has time for sleep! I told DP maybe it's like the excitement we have even as adults, like when we get a new video game we tend to play it far too late into the night, or watching a late night TV marathon of a favorite show. The stimulation is keeping us from answering the call to slumber. I've resorted to carrying him and strolling around the block. Unfortunately, these tricks don't work as well for his mother as they seem to for me.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksonley View Post
I don't want to be a downer by my DS is 9.5 months and I'm still looking for the light. Let me know if you catch a glimpse Sorry, I know that's not helpful.

Only my guy's 8 mos. He used to give me a 5-6 hr stretch every night, and now I'm lucky if I get 90 minutes.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 AM

I remember being so disheartened reading about babies who at 6, 9, 18 months, etc, were still in the throes of the 4 month sleep regression!

For Vivi, it only lasted 2 weeks, from 3.75 months to 4.25 months. My baby, who had previously slept in lovely 6-8 hour chunks since birth, went to waking up at a full scream at nurse 4-6 times a night. It was awful.

After those two weeks passed, though, she went right back to nursing at 9p, 12a, and 4-7am. And she wakes up chatting or "singing," which is a MUCH nicer way to be woken up!

So don't convince yourself that it'll be this way for ages- a quick bounce-back may be in order!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM

I heard it lasts until they go to college. I try not to think about it anymore.

K(35) : married to DH (36) : Sweet DD arrived Oct 2nd!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM

When DD turned 10 months last Friday, she started only waking 3-4 times in 10 hours, every 2-4(!) hours.

I went crazy at 4 months. And I was crazy for about 2 whole months before I accepted that the sleep regression wasn't going to be temporary.

IME, it gets a little better, then a little worse, then a little better. Right now, we're in a good phase, but I try not to hope too much.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 AM

Things went to shit at 4 months for us, too. She's 6 months now and I haven't seen any improvement yet.

Sorry.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,

User Tag List