when did you stop swaddling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With DD1 we stopped swaddling after a couple of days, she could break out of a regular blanket swaddle so we stopped bothering.
With DD2 we have a swaddle me blanket so she can't break out of it, but sometimes seems annoyed by being swaddled especially in the early morning. She likes to have her hands up by her face and can't do it when swaddled.
So, when did you stop swaddling?

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 AM

My guy is 8 months and is at the moment swaddled, as we try to get him down for the night.

To be fair though, we didn't swaddle at all between a few weeks and about 6 months, and since then we've had to swaddle more and more often. We just use a big blanket though. He can break out of it once we've laid him down, but so long as I'm holding him and the blanket he can't.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 AM

Cecilia is swaddled for all sleeping times because her crazy hands never stop moving otherwise and she wakes herself up. So, I swaddle her for nursing when I know she'll fall asleep there, so that I don't have to when she's already out.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 AM

It was 10 or 11 months before we stopped. Heck, at 22 months sometimes I wish she would still let us swaddle her. She just never.stops.moving.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 AM

This doesn't really count, but I usually swaddle my 13mo one day a week, for his nap in the crib in the church nursery. Otherwise, he won't sleep there. So I swaddle, nurse and rock him to sleep and carefully lay him down. So strange to swaddle such a big guy....lol. He actually rolls over once after he wakes up and just lays there on his tummy, all tucked in, kicking his legs up and down off and on, waiting for me to get him. He often gets his arms out if I don't hear him right away. It's a funny sight (and I know he's safe because of his strength).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 05-30-2010, 03:26 AM

wow, we stopped swaddling a lot earlier than most of the other posters here.

My 4 month old son is a good sleeper, so swaddling was nice for him for a while, but he really doesn't "need it".

He also inherited his daddy's italian blood, so he get overheated when swaddled. Poor guy sweats like crazy and it has to be uncomfortable! So we stopped.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 PM

We stopped swaddling around 3-4 months because DD hated it. She never did let us swaddle her with arms in either. We still lightly wrap a blanket around her now, but that is more to keep her covered than as a swaddle.

DS was swaddled for maybe a week. He too hated being swaddled.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:19 PM

We swaddled until about 4 months, I think. I couldn't nurse them both at the same time in the swaddle, and around then, they'd wake up after nursing to sleep when we went to swaddle them. So we stopped, but we did lay a blanket over them from the waist down. (Bad, I know.) Shortly after, they really got better at rolling and roll themselves onto their bellies these days.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:24 PM

We didn't swaddle for the first week or so, because he kept breaking free... But then we swaddled until he was about 6 months. We didn't really plan to stop, but all our swaddling blankets were in the wash, and he slept fine without them... So when they finally got through the laundry, we just folded them and put them away!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 PM

DS was swaddled to sleep until he was past a year old. I think he was 16 months before we finally weaned him totally off the swaddle. He was a very restless and light sleeper (still is, really) and couldn't sleep for more than ten minutes at a stretch without his arms wrapped up. Even now (he's 3) he likes to be rolled up in his covers to sleep. We used a Miracle Blanket, and once he got too tall, we cut leg holes in it. By the time he was that old, he also had a cotton afghan wrapped tightly around the outside of the whole arrangement. It was a sight-- this big 25 pound boy all wrapped up like a burrito.

I stopped swaddling the girls earlier. DD2 stopped sleeping in a swaddle at about 6 months. DD1 never slept swaddled. We only swaddled her when she was awake and fussy-- it helped calm her.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 PM
tzs

i'm weaning at 8 months now. sometimes i think it's more for my convenience than her actual "need." she's been rolling in her swaddle for months and now can pull to sitting in it (one arm out at this point.) so yeah, it might be me who's attached to it.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM

I swaddled DD in the Miracle Blanket until she was about 10 months old IIRC.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
3 months. He just didn't need/want it as much.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM

We just stopped last week when DD just turned 6 months. We were finding the swaddle wrapped around her neck/face. Amazingly, after a rough night, she sleeps better than ever.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM

We no longer swaddle 5-month-old DS per se, but we do still tightly wrap a blanket around his midsection below his armpits to help him nap, leaving his feet free. It seems to calm him down.

User Tag List