Pedialyte vs. coconut water--NEED your thoughts, please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4.5 month is spitting up more today and has green stools. Peditrician wants me to give him pedialyte for the next 2 feeds. My understanding with breastfeeding is that the baby will get what he needs (as in son will get electrolytes that dr. is worried about). I have read about adults using coconut milk for electrolytes--has anyone given an exclusively BF baby coconut water??
#2 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Is the spitting up and green stools new? Does the pediatrician think he has an infection? Is he worried about dehydration? Has the pedi seen your baby?

Personally I would not give my exclusively breastfed baby pedialyte or coconut milk! Then he would no longer be EBF. If it was an intestinal infection that was concerning, to avoid dehydration I would keep breastfeeding him. Breastmilk is better absorbed than water, pedialyte or any other liquid, so I feel it would be best for my baby. Plus it has all the immune supporting properties to fight off the illness.

Hope he feels better soon!
#3 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Here's what Kellymom has to say : For adults, lost fluids and electrolytes can be replaced with virtually any beverage plus a source of sodium chloride (salted crackers, etc.), or you can use an oral rehydration formula. For children and babies who are no longer nursing, a commercial rehydration formula (like Pedialyte) is generally recommended. For nursing babies and children, breastmilk is best.

I would just keep nursing. As long as baby is nursing there is not a need to worry about it. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Is the spitting up and green stools new? Does the pediatrician think he has an infection? Is he worried about dehydration? Has the pedi seen your baby?

Personally I would not give my exclusively breastfed baby pedialyte or coconut milk! Then he would no longer be EBF. If it was an intestinal infection that was concerning, to avoid dehydration I would keep breastfeeding him. Breastmilk is better absorbed than water, pedialyte or any other liquid, so I feel it would be best for my baby. Plus it has all the immune supporting properties to fight off the illness.

Hope he feels better soon!

TBH, if my ped. recommended either of those for a 4.5mo, I'd be finding a new ped.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM

I know this is not an answer to your question, but could you possibly have oversupply? My LO had similar issues and block feeding cleared them right up. Good luck!

DD 2/28/10
#7 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

TBH, if my ped. recommended either of those for a 4.5mo, I'd be finding a new ped.

and I would be figuring out why the green stools and spitting up. are you feeding any solids? could your babe have food allergies/intolerances? could you have foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? reflux?

Breastmilk is all your baby needs, especially if he is sick! your doctor is way wrong, and that recommendation sounds dangerous, to be honest.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#8 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqi View Post
I know this is not an answer to your question, but could you possibly have oversupply? My LO had similar issues and block feeding cleared them right up. Good luck!
and

I'd also be considering weeding out dairy from my own diet. Seems like a lot of food sensitivities show up around that age (but that could be just my perception, i know of several people who had it happen around that age) and an elimination diet could clear it up. Might be worth considering, though I don't know what else is going on with your baby. Exclusively breastfed babies don't get a lot of stomach bugs, afaik...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Everyone. B/c of his food sensitivities, I'm already off all dairy, soy, gluten, corn, shellfish, plain eggs, peanuts and tree nuts. All that happened b/c of blood in his stool. He seems fine today, has had lots of wet diapers and the spitting up has slowed down so I think I'm going to drink the coconut water and forget the pedalyte! Still has the green stool so I think I'm going to try pumping off the foremilk again (did this a month ago and it cleared up) and only feeding him hindmilk for a few days. Pain in the neck but I want what is best for the little guy!
#10 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Do you do 'block' feeding? If not, I'd try that instead of pumping... its where you only feed from one side at each feeding, to ensure that they get enough hind milk instead of just drinking so much foremilk and only a bit of hind.... Both of my boys have done *way* better block feeding...
#11 of 12 Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I agree that breastmilk is best!

By the way, Pedialyte has artificial flavors and colors. I wouldn't feed my baby anything of the sort, and it sounds like you wouldn't either. I hope your little fellow is feeling better )

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#12 of 12 Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

If you have an oversupply, I read about a method that might help you (it was too late for me... by the time I read the article, DD was 6.5 months and our oversupply issues were no longer an issue).

First, pump out both breasts till you feel almost completely empty. And then, put your baby immediately to one of your breasts and your DS and DD will only be getting hindmilk. Then, go for a couple of hours on that same breast, and then start block feeding from the other breast once it feels fuller. And then continue this way, adjusting for length of time on each breast. If you feel uncomfortably full again, start over and try adjusting the time for the block feedings.

Hope this helps!

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page