Strollers... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I support the right of people to use strollers, put their kids in harnesses, and carry their little babies in the car seat.

I reserve the right to think snide thoughts about people who are obviously misusing them.

Strollers are great, but they do NOT need to be sitting empty in the middle of the aisle at the library.

Harnesses are great, however, GET UP and walk over to stop your kid hitting the display case with a dinosaur.

Infant car seats are great, but have a plan for when the baby needs to be out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 84 Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdavida View Post
You can wear your baby all you want (and it is a wonderful thing if it works for you), but if that child picks up on and learns judgemental behavior from the parent, that is probably going to do them a greater disservice than all the stroller use of a lifetime.

ahhhhhh!!!! a breath of fresh air!
what a great point that applies to all the holier than thou stuff that goes on, especially here. i'm really going to make a big point of etching this in the front of my mind. it's a great lesson.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#63 of 84 Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM

DS *hated* the car seat, which was basically what would snap into the stroller, that it came with, so we never even tried it. Its odd, he's almost a year old, and he's never been in a stroller. He fussed about being worn somewhat, but I wanted it to work for us since it seemed *way* more convenient than a stroller (since we live in a city w/ crappy sidewalks, narrow streets, we take buses, etc) so I wore him a lot. From 2-4 months or so he'd only be happy if I was walking FAST or if he was asleep, so we just did that. I started back carrying around 4-5mos. and that worked better around the house, and he was able to turn side to side better in front carries around then also which helped. I still carry him, he's been walking since 9 mos but for errands/festivals/whatnot we wear him all the time.

I admit when I see folks using strollers (especially at festivals/crowded areas) I think about what a hassle they must be, and wonder why they are so popular. But I like to travel light - we bike places w/ DS now also, much easier to carry a wrap than a stroller! we are going to the montreal jazz fest in a few weeks - 4 days, and not bringing one. We only have the infant one anyway that we never used and now he's outgrown it.

I guess its possible DS might have liked a stroller better than being worn, but I didn't give him a chance to show a preference I guess my assumption that him hating the car seat would mean hating the stroller might have been wrong - but I admit I probably didn't *want* him to like the stroller either. I figured folks for ages wore their babies and so he'd adjust and get used to it and it just seemed more natural to me, so even if he had shown a preference I probably would have worn him a lot to try and get him used to/happy with that as well.

also, he was a fussy baby; I wanted him fussing closer to me than further away. I also think DS likes all the human interaction he gets being up high also. Folks notice him more, give eye contact, he can see better, etc. I remember seeing a youtube video about the difference in what a baby sees from a stroller (but an infant, so bassinet-style, facing the mom) compared to being worn, and it really showed how different it is to me. But as your LO gets older and is facing out in a stroller its probably not as different.

I think attachment parenting really does emphasize that you do what works best -> if strollers work, why not?!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#64 of 84 Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=tzs;15486926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonapple View Post

because some people just can't do babywearing for whatever reason.
so true. I was in pain for months after my section. I couldn't lift my baby for an extended period of time, so he did spend some time in a stroller/carseat.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#65 of 84 Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
I admit when I see folks using strollers (especially at festivals/crowded areas) I think about what a hassle they must be, and wonder why they are so popular.

I also think DS likes all the human interaction he gets being up high also. Folks notice him more, give eye contact, he can see better, etc.
I envisioned myself wearing my baby to festivals in particular and thought it would be so sweet and easy to ease through the crowds that way. Sometimes it is...but I mentioned in a previous post, if there is any food to be eaten, it's impossible. It becomes a hassle to take turns eating while someone holds the baby. And a lot of times we are walking around sampling from booth to booth so it's not like we eat and then we're done. When I am holding food, DD will lunge, dive and scramble as fast as she can to remove it from my hands. She sinks her hands into my drinks just as I get them to my mouth and she will rip food right out of my hand/mouth mid-bite and throw it on the ground - not at all funny when you just PAID for that food. I like having her in the stroller when I'm eating. So when you wonder why they are so popular, that's just my two cents as to one tiny reason they might be popular at festivals.

As for the second point, I thought that was interesting because I always assumed my lo would get more interaction up high with me, however, I sometimes stroller in the mall when I want to try clothing on and I have been amazed at the amount of people who literally stand in front of my stroller and stop me in order to bend down and talk to the baby. She loves it! Nobody EVER stands in front of me in order to stop me and talk to my baby when I am wearing her - that would be so awkward. (unless I know them, but if I knew them I'm positive that they, too, would greet her and talk to her stroller or wrap).

Not to defend or promote stroller use, but I hear a lot of people saying, "to each her own" and then still wondering why people use them. ha! I love my Joovy Kooper stroller and I love my SleepyWrap! I'm so glad I have both!
#66 of 84 Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 PM

when I was still fairly new here at mdc, soon after my dd was born, a very self righteous mama posted that strollers were abusive and good mamas *only* wore their babies. I was a new mama with a baby who REFUSED to be worn.

From birth she hated being confined or swaddled in any way. I of course ha had visions of myself happily wearing my child; we tried slings and ergos and all sorts of carriers and positions and she hated them all. We went to classes at our closest natural family living store an hour away and met with local baby wearers. The result remained - my kid HATED being worn with a passion. She walked early (with help at 5 mo and on her own at 8 mo) and still prefers to get herself around, tyvm. We own a stroller which is wonderful for when short legs get tired of keeping up with long ones, but she still declines to be worn or held.

Judge not, mamas. Is isn't always the choice of the mama that her child is not being worn.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#67 of 84 Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
when I was still fairly new here at mdc, soon after my dd was born, a very self righteous mama posted that strollers were abusive and good mamas *only* wore their babies.

wooooowww.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#68 of 84 Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 AM

I consider myself fairly AP, but I LOVE the stroller. I own an ergo, maya wrap, baby bjorn, and a ring sling. But we've always used the stroller because while I love the ergo and the ring sling my DD does not. She wants to see! And be involved! And not be treated like a baby, thank you very much mom! I have caught some flack and dirty looks for this. Everybody always assumes that every babys personality is like their own. I think that my baby is a born people person and she doesn't like to cuddle all that much. (Thank God for nursing or I'd never get any love.)

On the other hand we have never used the click in car seat kind of stroller. A baby has to be kind of reclined to sit in a bucket carseat, which she has hated since about 3 weeks of age! We have the Chicco liteway which folds flat so she's used it since she was 6 weeks old. Though we haven't used the fold flat feature since she was tiny. Even on the most straight setting she still leans as far forward as she can get. Always in a hurry to see and do that's my baby girl.

I think that the #1 thing that becoming a parent should teach us is that there is no "right" way of doing things and we shouldn't judge or hate one another for our different parenting choices. I don't know what kind of personality your kid has or what your day is like and you don't know mine. Parenting is hard enough as it is without that kind of drama.
#69 of 84 Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
I envisioned myself wearing my baby to festivals in particular and thought it would be so sweet and easy to ease through the crowds that way. Sometimes it is...but I mentioned in a previous post, if there is any food to be eaten, it's impossible. It becomes a hassle to take turns eating while someone holds the baby. And a lot of times we are walking around sampling from booth to booth so it's not like we eat and then we're done. When I am holding food, DD will lunge, dive and scramble as fast as she can to remove it from my hands. She sinks her hands into my drinks just as I get them to my mouth and she will rip food right out of my hand/mouth mid-bite and throw it on the ground - not at all funny when you just PAID for that food. I like having her in the stroller when I'm eating. So when you wonder why they are so popular, that's just my two cents as to one tiny reason they might be popular at festivals.
your example makes sense, food-eating, although there is *no* way DS would stay still in a stroller while we ate, I guess if I was walking and eating and pushing the stroller, maybe. He has trouble sitting still in a high chair, maybe 5-10min, at most, and that's with food to play with in front of him. Even on the back of our bike, at lights or any time we stop he gets frustrated.

so for us there wouldn't ever be a 'parking' of the stroller while he stayed in it. Same thing with trying on clothing. He'd want OUT as soon as that stroller is stopped. Although maybe its just cause he's not used to it - he used to be the same way in a wrap, I had to move, and FAST, or he'd be upset, but in the last few months he's been more patient and I can walk slowly or even stop for a bit here and there. So perhaps thats a similar trajectory for stroller-users, babes get more comfy in them not moving at some point. It may be too late for that now for us

Quote:
As for the second point, I thought that was interesting because I always assumed my lo would get more interaction up high with me, however, I sometimes stroller in the mall when I want to try clothing on and I have been amazed at the amount of people who literally stand in front of my stroller and stop me in order to bend down and talk to the baby. She loves it! Nobody EVER stands in front of me in order to stop me and talk to my baby when I am wearing her - that would be so awkward. (unless I know them, but if I knew them I'm positive that they, too, would greet her and talk to her stroller or wrap).
I guess people stand and talk to me and DS when he's wrapped on me all the time - I don't think its awkward? mostly they comment that he looks 'comfy' or whatever - or if he's on my back especially they'll say something funny about it. I think its just when folks walk by us they make eye contact with me, and always him as well since he's right next to me, and smile - if he was in a stroller its a bit harder to make the eye contact. I know I hardly ever 'see' babies in strollers - I see the stroller, but often can't see the babe at all - and yeah, I'd have to stop the mom and look down to make eye contact. Whereas if the baby was just up at eye-height, I'd see both, smile, etc.

Quote:
Not to defend or promote stroller use, but I hear a lot of people saying, "to each her own" and then still wondering why people use them. ha! I love my Joovy Kooper stroller and I love my SleepyWrap! I'm so glad I have both!
I guess I wonder just because to me they just look like a hassle, without much benefit, but I guess that's because of DS's issue w/ being restrained. I also just like being able to see him. I mostly wear him on my front or hip since I like to see his reactions to things, and interact with him. I do wear him on my back sometimes as well, and can still see him a bit, but don't do it nearly as often since I really want to have him in eyesight - so a stroller would also be not appealing for that reason. Even on my back I wear him high enough that I can see him (his head is right behind my head) but I still prefer on my front or hip. I do work full time so I guess I really try and maximize our time together when we have it. I also like to travel light, bike everywhere, go places strollers can't (hiking, etc) so it just doesn't fit well w/ our lifestyle I suppose.

but with the heat coming - that's a big selling point. Wearing a babe in August is not quite as appealing !

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#70 of 84 Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM

I wore my babe in the summer but in the winter I am too scared of falling while she is strapped to me so I use a Snow Stroller, I think it is the safest way of travelling with my baby in the winter.

#71 of 84 Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 AM

I used a stroller for a short period of time with DD1 but I was so anxious about her being so far away from me when she was a newborn I ended up carrying her (before I got any carriers) and pushing the stroller. It was kind of pointless. Then I got pregnant with DD2 and after I was about 4 months along carrying DD1 was impossible. I would end up barely being able to move by the end of the day so I started using the stroller more. After DD2 arrived I found our quickly I COULDN'T wear both of them, it would cause me a great amount of pain where I couldn't move by the end of the day. When DD2 was around 25ish pounds it got so I couldn't carry her long periods of time so I got a double stroller.

Also, I found out quickly that when DH is gone at training I CAN'T carry them all the time. I need to have my hands free in case one decides to bolt. Luckily DD1 loves to ride around in the stroller. Of course though DD2 would hate it and want to walk. Makes outings without DH a little interesting.. I still don't like to/won't use them for newborns up to probably 5-6 months since I prefer to keep my eyes on them at that age.

I have to say one thing I do scratch my head about is when people put their child (and the bucket) into the stroller and then walk maybe 5 feet into their apartment. I can understand why if there was multiple kids involved (Ive done it but only when DH is gone and since we moved and my parking space is several hundred feet through a busy parking lot) but why do it with one? Especially when its pouring and you/the baby get more wet than if you grab them and dashed quickly to the front door. Also, why bring a stroller if you are going into someones apartment (who has multiple children and all sorts of baby gagets to set the baby in) to have dinner? I could see maybe if you were going to someone who didn't have children but if you know they have a seat you could borrow for the baby then why pull the stroller into their tiny apartment and make everyone else cramped..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#72 of 84 Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When I first came to MDC, I remember a similar comment along the lines of "strollers being abusive" and "if you love your child, you'll hold him close".  I never understood that.  While personally, I prefer to be holding my baby in my arms, with my second choice as having my baby in a carrier of some sort, I did get much use out of my stroller when my son was a baby, and expect I will with this baby as well.  I walk everywhere.  Sometimes it's just not possible to take a 2 mile walk to an appointment carrying a 15 pound baby!  You do what you gotta do.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#73 of 84 Old 12-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Saying that using a stroller is abusive is just plain silly. There are times when using a stroller is preferable over wearing a baby-- like when you're going for a mile or two walk and you have a bad back like I do! Plus, there are times when my daughter prefers being in the stroller (or the shopping cart at the grocery store). Being worn can be a bit restrictive, and she likes to wiggle a lot! When she was little (under 6-7 months), I wore her exclusively. Now, it's about 50/50. She likes to be able to move!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#74 of 84 Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM

good lord. strollers aren't abusive. using strollers isn't abusive. 

you know what is abusive?? abusive parents.  whether they use strollers or not. 

I mean, really. These judgements are just insane to me. Like the story a pp posted, about a woman watching her struggle with her stroller and giving her a nasty look? I mean, really, doesn't it drain more energy to think nasty thoughts about other women's choices than it would to, say, help a woman out when she's struggling with her babe, whether she happens to agree with your particular parenting style or not?? I mean, rather than laugh at women struggling across a park with so much baby stuff, and allow yourself to feel superior to her because your choices are different, why not offer to help her out??  

not stroller related, per se, but yesterday, when I was buying a car seat for my baby due in Jan, a woman felt like she should lecture me about why I shouldn't buy the infant bucket seat I was looking at that happened to be on massive sale, and instead buy a $400.00 convertible car seat and an ergo -- that my baby would be much happier and better adjusted, and I just thought - really?? Because I happen to think that my child's happiness will be far more influenced by growing up in a loving and supportive home with happy, loving family interested in his or her emotional development, and doing our very best to provide for him or her within the limits of our budget than a particular brand of baby equipment or the amount of money I'm able to spend on a car seat or stroller or carrier or whatever.  But then, when she asked what hospital I was having the baby at, and I told her we were planning a homebirth, she rolled her eyes and said 'good luck with that' so, perhaps she was just having herself a nasty, resentful kind of day.  I just smiled real big and thanked her. 

#75 of 84 Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Good thread. I have a three month old and carry and use the stroller! After my c-section I had to use the "travel system" for six weeks as I couldn't carry the car seat or baby around! As soon as I could I had baby in a pikkolo a lot. We were both happier. We switched to the convertible seat as he was a big baby and was more comfy in it. Now when we are out and about I switch back and forth. While Christmas shopping I switch between stores, one store I carry, the next stroller! He falls asleep in either if they are moving. But if he's fussy he'd rather be carried. I'm tiny (4'10) and the stroller saves my back on long days!!! Theres a time and place for everything even strollers!

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#76 of 84 Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat_canuck View Post

good lord. strollers aren't abusive. using strollers isn't abusive. 

you know what is abusive?? abusive parents.  whether they use strollers or not. 

I mean, really. These judgements are just insane to me. Like the story a pp posted, about a woman watching her struggle with her stroller and giving her a nasty look? I mean, really, doesn't it drain more energy to think nasty thoughts about other women's choices than it would to, say, help a woman out when she's struggling with her babe, whether she happens to agree with your particular parenting style or not?? I mean, rather than laugh at women struggling across a park with so much baby stuff, and allow yourself to feel superior to her because your choices are different, why not offer to help her out??  

not stroller related, per se, but yesterday, when I was buying a car seat for my baby due in Jan, a woman felt like she should lecture me about why I shouldn't buy the infant bucket seat I was looking at that happened to be on massive sale, and instead buy a $400.00 convertible car seat and an ergo -- that my baby would be much happier and better adjusted, and I just thought - really?? Because I happen to think that my child's happiness will be far more influenced by growing up in a loving and supportive home with happy, loving family interested in his or her emotional development, and doing our very best to provide for him or her within the limits of our budget than a particular brand of baby equipment or the amount of money I'm able to spend on a car seat or stroller or carrier or whatever.  But then, when she asked what hospital I was having the baby at, and I told her we were planning a homebirth, she rolled her eyes and said 'good luck with that' so, perhaps she was just having herself a nasty, resentful kind of day.  I just smiled real big and thanked her. 

Agreed. 

Seriously, with those who judge, you must kill them with kindness. Judgement is from within. When I am judging someone else, it is a reflection of an insecurity I have to deal with. Motherhood is totally changing that for me. 

Oh and I love my stroller. It's a MacLaren and I literally only bought it because I saw Brad and Angie pushing one. 

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#77 of 84 Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM

I love my baby carriers and I love my strollers too......each have their own time and place for use. I agree with the poster who said it's all about balance and also agree with the posters who disagree with all the judgement. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I wish people would just realize that every person comes with their own unique circumstances and so does their baby so wondering why something works for them (using a stroller) is pointless. It doesn't matter if you think it's harder or more work.......they are doing what is best for them. I use my carriers a lot but I use the stroller a lot too. It's nearly impossible for me to wear my baby, carry my bag loaded with cloth and wrangle my 3 year old so we almost always have our stroller with us. Sometimes it's used to push our stuff, sometimes the baby is in it and sometimes my 3 year old is in it. Whatever happens to be working at the time. It also depends how my back is doing that day too. We actually just got a double because there were lots of times where they both need to be in it. I totally disagree with saying just because a toddler needs a break from walking you should go home. They have little legs and have to work to keep up, sometimes they just need a quick break or nap and are ready to go again. We just went to Jamaica and brought both the wrap and the stroller.......it's a good thing we did because it turned out she would only sleep in her stroller. I wanted her to take some naps in the wrap but that seemed to result in a lot of crying and putting her in the stroller she went right to sleep. I'm all about meeting the needs of my child so I went with it.

Having said that, I do love wearing my DD, her head is right there for me to kiss at will and the baby snuggles are awesome. We were at a family function yesterday and an older gentleman came up to me and commented that he thought my DD was so happy in her wrap being snuggled and put to sleep by mommy.....warmed my heart.

As an aside.......the judgment is tiresome. I remember when my ODD was about 3 months old I was out shopping with my Dad. My DD had been held the entire time because she wasn't a fan of being put down (and I didn't know about good carriers at this time so we just took turns holding her). As I paid I was putting her back into her carseat to head out to the car (it was -30C outside and I use infant seats to keep them warm in that kind of weather). She wasn't overly happy about it and some other mom walked by with her baby in a wrap and actually made the comment that I was "cruel" to be putting my DD in a carseat. Seriously? That was way unecessary, not to mention ridiculous since we were going in the car and the carseat is the law.............plus she'd just been held for the whole shopping trip. Not that I should have even had to justify it to her. I was shocked and speechless but would probably have had something to say if that happened now.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#78 of 84 Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM

wow, this thread was not at all what I thought it was about.  Maybe I will start a new thread with my question.  

#79 of 84 Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM

I think people have a right to parent their children however they see fit.

I do, however, think it's worth bearing in mind that young babies may not be emotionally capable of fully processing the amount of sensory data that comes with forward-facing in a stroller.  I also don't believe that very young babies should spend a great deal of time forward-facing in a baby carrier.

Quote:

"Infants in outward-facing orientations can’t turn away from surrounding stimuli. They can't turn inward toward a parent's body if stimuli become overwhelming. In this position the baby cannot make eye contact with his or her parent to evaluate facial expressions, social cues, and so forth to make assessment of the situation. Only choose a baby carrier that allows your child to face you ... never out. There are too many events going on around your baby. A baby has no way to exclude himself from the environment by turning his head away and towards you. Healthy sleep is difficult for a baby who is facing outward. I am not a supporter of the outward facing method of carrying a child." - From 'A Baby Wants To Be Carried' by Dr. Eveline Kirkilionis (available in German) Dr. Kirkilionis is a human development specialist who has researched babywearing since 1985 (Source: http://www.babywearingschool.com/drkirkilionis.htm)

Also, a baby who is being worn consistently gets language skills, vestibular and motor coordination practice (some say equivalent to tummy time), and social learning.  A baby in a stroller doesn't really get any of those things... they are a passive observer.  That may not always necessarily be a bad thing... do you enjoy passive observation occasionally?  I know I do!

Now, I do own (and occasionally use) a stroller, purchased at a secondhand shop (lucky find!) that can face the baby either away from or towards the parent.  This is an excellent option, I think!  If I want to take a long walk way out in the country where my Mother lives, far away from other humans, where the baby (7 months) is seeing quiet landscapes of trees, barns, and cows (and where I can hear him if he makes so much as a peep, and otherwise easily keep tabs!), I'll happily let him face forward, and I can get a bit of cardio in.  If I'm shopping for clothes at the mall, and need two hands and the ability to try things on, I'll have him face me... he can see plenty, but is able to let me know if he needs a snuggle or just a facial cue check-in.  

If I am in Manhattan visiting my in-laws, I prefer him to be in the Ergo (he's 26 lbs, so too big for the stretchy wrap... secretly hoping for a woven wrap or Mei Tai for Christmas) -- the city is very, very stimulating.  Strollers are at the level of lit cigarettes and poorly-watched dogs... I feel much safer with him up where I can be the protector. Also, who wants to lug one of those things down the subway stairs?  I could see taking him in the stroller in the park, facing me, though haven't done this yet (we'll be visiting after Christmas, though, so maybe then).  I could also see using the stroller if it were simply too cold to get everyone in the Ergo comfortably (it's tough with bulky snowcoats -- we live on the Gulf Coast, so it's not usually an issue for us -- we did use it a few times when it was too hot!).  Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him facing out at this age.  He might like it for awhile, but he's at high risk of overstimulation.  He likes facing me, and can still see plenty out the sides of his stroller, so that seems to be the best option.

I have made the choice never to use a "bucket seat" or "travel system."  Car seats are for cars.  Your choice on that front is yours, but I think a parent should come into it knowing full-well what the ramifications are.

Which is, I guess, what I'm getting at.  I think a lot of people use buckets and strollers because that's just "how it's done."  They're not making a research-based choice; they're making a marketing-based choice.  Babies-R-Us sells forty different bucket seats/travel systems, therefore, it's a necessary item that I MUST have and use OFTEN!  A stroller is a tool -- and a great one!  Ask me about having a hugenormous newborn on the Gulf Coast during one of the hottest summers on record, and I'll tell you how great they are, LOL!  I just think that, like most modern parenting contraptions, they can be grossly overused, and too many babies in this day and age are barely touched... they go from one gewgaw to another, all day long.  

I also think it's worth noting that a lot of Mothers are on the offense about strollers because we've been put on the defense about babywearing.  How many of us have Mothers-in-Law who won't shut up about how much the newborn "wants to be able to see the doggies!  Put him down in a stroller so he can see the doggies!" or "Well, I heard that those slingy things aren't safe and babies DIE!  When have you ever heard of a baby dying in a stroller!?" ("Lots of times," I said, "Look at this article about [some random stroller recall] -- it said six babies died in the strollers."  "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO UPSET ME LIKE THAT!?" *Sigh*)... it's hard to not find yourself saying "AHHHH!  FORGET IT!  NO STROLLERS, EVER!  THEY ARE TEH EEEEEBIL!" So I think sometimes those reactions are simply that... reactionary.  

All Moms deserve love, just like all babies deserve love.

#80 of 84 Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM

I hate strollers, but if other people use them, it's no skin off my back!

I have been using a stroller just recently a few times while Christmas shopping, so we have somewhere to put our coats and bags.  I hate that I have to use the elevators instead of being able to go on the escalators or stairs.  I hate that I have to steer this thing that always seems to want to go a different way than I do.  I hate that it doesn't fit down half the aisles.  I hate that I don't have my hands free.  I hate that it takes up so much freakin' space!  On the very rare occasion that my babe is in it, it only lasts about 5 minutes, because I hate being so far away from him, and he hates it too.  I just feel like he's so disconnected that way, especially because he doesn't face me, I guess.

But strollers are great for some people, and I certainly don't think that someone is less of a mother for using one.  Sometimes, though, I do feel sorry for people I see struggling with strollers and/or bucket seats as I fly by them with my LO in one of my carriers!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#81 of 84 Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM

With DD1, I couldn't see the point of the stroller. She hated it from day 1 onward, and wouldn't ride for more than a few minutes without screaming her head off. So it sat in the garage and gathered dust. Honestly as she grew, I would spend 6 or more hours with her on my back and stare with envy at the moms whose kids were napping in a stroller. Carrying 20 pounds around for hours is hard, no matter what you use to strap it on.

Then I slipped a disk in my back. Luckily DD1 was old enough to walk, and if her legs got tired, we went home. But carrying 20 pounds of toddler was not an option.

Enter DD2 stage left. Now i have a bad back and two kids, weighing in at over 50 pounds for the both of them. If we are going to walk anywhere for any length of time, the stroller is a must have item. Now that DD1 sees DD2 riding along, SHE wants to ride too. So we kept ending up with DD1 in the stroller, DD2 in a carrier, and poor mama drugged up and immobile by the end of the day. Even DH gets tired of lugging around 50 pounds, and wants the stroller that he used to hate if we go out as a family. Carrying 1/3 or 1/4 of your body weight is hard, even if you are fit and healthy!

I just got a Phil and Teds double for the holiday, and I'm in heaven. Finally we can go to the zoo, the airport, the mall or even for a walk in the neighborhood without me ending up with pain, drugs, and emergency chiropractic visits. Hooray! I am a true stroller convert.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#82 of 84 Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM

so many strollers!  I use a sling a lot, but I am worried about falling in the winter/snow/ice- anybody have any recs on a good stroller for that?  I found this:  www.snowstroller.ca but no reviews, any body?  thanks! 

#83 of 84 Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 AM

This thread reminds me of this weird thing someone said to me the other day...

I had an appointment with my midwife, and I didn't have my DS with me. The nurse brought me into the exam room and in between all the routine questions she had to ask me, said "I remember you. You were the one who came in with your little boy and you didn't have a stroller."

Uh... yeah. Because I definitely need to put my toddler (who has been walking just fine for the past year) in a stroller to walk into a building and sit in a waiting room.

How weird is that?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#84 of 84 Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM

I tend to jog a lot and I want my little ones with me. I'm sure not going to try to strap my little ones to me as I do that, but they *love* going out in the schwinn double. The thing is too, my little ones even as newborns couldn't stand the sling. Maybe I didn't have it on right or maybe I stink or something, but they wanted nothing to do it with it. The Bugaboo on the other hand they were happy, provided they could see what was going on, the bassinet didn't work for them either. Maybe my kids have an unusual sense of curiosity or something!

-J

google

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page