Strollers... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was browsing threads today and happened upon a lot of negative comments about strollers.
I am an occasional stroller user, DD never really liked them so we haven't used it too much, but I don't really get the hate? Is it because you should be wearing your babe? Is it too distant? Is it a physical development thing? I have to say, I sort of envy the mom who has the baby who can sit in the stroller quietly while she shops.
Can someone give me the low down?

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#2 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

It's probably a bit of all of the above. I think also a lot of times, people see them as overused. And sometimes they are. I can't comment for sure because I do have one - a frame that my car seat snaps into. I don't use it all the time. When we walk to the corner store to pick up a few things I like it because it has the basket for my stuff. On our big weekly grocery trip I wear her. When we walk alone I wear her, but if my mother-in-law is with us I use the stroller so Elsa can see us both. If she's sleeping I use the stroller, or if we're going to be quick, so I don't have to mess with her straps. I think I use it in moderation.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#3 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Sometimes I use a stroller and sometimes I use the Ergo. It just depends on my mood, DD's mood, what we are doing/where we are going, how hot it is outside, etc... sometimes she wants to be close to mama and other times she just wants her own space. I think that being able to respond appropriately to your child's varying needs is the entire point of AP parenting. I would never try to contain her in the sling if she was kicking to get out, nor would I leave her in the stroller if she needed some snuggles.

I don't get the hatred for strollers. I think they have their time and place - especially during toddlerhood when the kids are getting too heavy to carry around for long periods of time and get tired walking for long stretches.

Balance... its all about balance!
Funny Face likes this.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm another fan of balance! DD actually kind of loves her stroller (which I wasn't planning on using very much). I use it in moderation, and in addition to babywearing (which, unfortunately, she doesn't love as much, but I can get her to do it sometimes).

I mostly was not psyched about it because it seemed so complicated, and I hate having a lot of crap around the house. But I too don't really get why people are so vehemently against them, so thanks for your post!
#5 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

I am not against strollers, but, for me, I am against carrying around the infant car seat. Whether that be in a stroller or just carrying it. I just think it sucks to be in a carseat to get to your destination and then just getting clicked out of the car and into a stroller and then back into the car. DS also never fell asleep in the car, so I would not have liked to leave him in there while awake at all. DD does sleep in the car, so I have occasionally brought her into a quick lunch in her carseat, if I was pretty sure she'd stay asleep the whole time. But at 3 months old, I've only done it 4 times. In addition to me liking to hold/wear my babies - I also hate how clunky and awkward I feel lugging that carseat around. With DS I did it like 10 times total.

We do have a small stroller we use occasionally that I like to store the diaper bag on. DS doesn't really like to sit in it and DD is too little.

Mama to three

#6 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I KWYM OP!
the other day I was using a small stroller in my hippiesh town to do a couple of errands with my little baby. I was using it because my back isn't great right now and it was too much strain on my back to do the errands wearing him. I swear I got dirty looks form another mom when I wasmaneuvering it down some stairs into a store!! I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. I also kept thinking other people were judging me on it cause ds is so young. But like I said it was the best way I could manage. I was thinking the same thing as you- so what if I use this tool to get around? I mostly hold him so much of the day at home- I think it is lame when other moms act holier than thou and make judgements when for all they know everyone is just coping and doing the best they can.
WonderfulStuff and jpietryka like this.
#7 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM

DD loves the stroller and hates being worn, so we stroll. It's a no-brainer for me. I feel like some times people get two didactic with all this AP stuff. IMO.
Funny Face likes this.
#8 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
tzs

while i sometimes think that a stroller can be a huge piece of equipment just to transport a small baby i love mine and use it all the time. so there.

listen, i would love to wear my babe all the time. it would be so much more convenient but i have back and other health issues that make it impossible. i don;t think it would be better that my back go out like it did while wearing her as a newborn and then not be able to hold her at all. plus, she loves it and the vantage point it gives her to look wherever she wants and there have been times when it has been an indispensible sleep device.

as far as carrying the carseat....although i've been theoretically against it (flat head, impeding gross motor development...) i had a winter babe and it was so much easier on both of us to not have to get her in and out of the seat in the freezing cold standing in a slushy snowbank. especially since she would never fail to fall asleep in there. once the weather got nicer of course i stopped lugging it around, those things ARE cumbersome.
Funny Face likes this.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#9 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
i had a winter babe and it was so much easier on both of us to not have to get her in and out of the seat in the freezing cold standing in a slushy snowbank. especially since she would never fail to fall asleep in there. once the weather got nicer of course i stopped lugging it around, those things ARE cumbersome.
I have had two spring babies, so not cold or snowy, which I'm sure would change my opinion. One of the times I did keep DS in the carseat it was below zero with the windchill and he was sleeping. There was no reason to expose him to that.

Mama to three

#10 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 PM

i don't understand the hatred either. i love mine, love it! and i am not going to apologize or feel guilty about using it.

the fact that i have one and use it doesn't mean i never hold my son or that i never wear him or i'm keeping him away from me. it just means i have this great tool that helps us get around.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#11 of 84 Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 PM
tzs

to NICOLE730,
we're 'sconies too (milwaukee)! so i guess you understand the weather issues....

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#12 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 AM

I have a Maclaren, which is basically a fancy umbrella stroller. DS loves it, most of the time. I do wear him in the ergo or moby too, depending on the mood. Could I live without it? probably

now, bucket seats and travel systems . . . I don't love them. I have a bucket, but it is staying clicked in the car, now that DS is sitting well on his own. It was convinient for restaurants before he wanted to be "at" the table with us. and to put in the shopping cart for trips. but we don't use it anymore. I carry him now. I really, really, hate carting the bucket. But that is a personal preference.

You have to use what tools you have to parent the best you can. Strollers, carriers, whatever.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#13 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 AM

Did anyone see the movie "Away we Go" ? In one scene Maggie Gyllenhaal is very opposed to strollers, "Why would I want to PUSH my baby away from me". LOL. Humorously, she was portraying a character living in the city in which I currently reside (known for its hippie friendly vibe).

*sigh. I love strollers. They have lots of good uses. I'm not a huge fan of infant car seats, too clunky, but I have two small children and a stroller is a necessity. I walk my stroller (with my children) to the grocery store, down to the parks, for exercise and even to just get out of the house, etc. If I'm just with one child and don't need to carry a ton of stuff, I'll either let them walk or I've got the Ergo, or sometimes I'll just put them in it to calm them down and unwind as we make our way through the neighborhood to see what we can see.

Sometime this stuff gets nuts.
Funny Face and WonderfulStuff like this.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#14 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
Sometimes I use a stroller and sometimes I use the Ergo. It just depends on my mood, DD's mood, what we are doing/where we are going, how hot it is outside, etc... sometimes she wants to be close to mama and other times she just wants her own space. I think that being able to respond appropriately to your child's varying needs is the entire point of AP parenting. I would never try to contain her in the sling if she was kicking to get out, nor would I leave her in the stroller if she needed some snuggles.

I don't get the hatred for strollers. I think they have their time and place - especially during toddlerhood when the kids are getting too heavy to carry around for long periods of time and get tired walking for long stretches.

Balance... its all about balance!
This exactly!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#15 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 AM

I really like using strollers... not when my bebe was still in an infant seat really, but now that she is bigger. She loves riding in it and it is SO much easier to use than wrapping and tying and dragging fabric on the ground to wear her. I love babywearing but I'm just not very good at it and the bigger she gets, the harder it gets.

Plus, I think she prefers her stroller anyway.. at least for awhile.. then she wants to be held or to walk.
#16 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters View Post
Did anyone see the movie "Away we Go" ? In one scene Maggie Gyllenhaal is very opposed to strollers, "Why would I want to PUSH my baby away from me". LOL. Humorously, she was portraying a character living in the city in which I currently reside (known for its hippie friendly vibe).
I love that movie! I considered her role to be especially funny considering that she was a breast-feeding, cloth-diapering mama herself. She remarked on this in interviews, too, if I'm not mistaken. It was meant to be taken as a satire, and I thought it worked. I still can't think about sea horses without laughing.

I live in Brooklyn, so I plan on buying a stroller and using it some, but also slinging quite a bit. To be fair, my babe won't be born until January so they could hate the sling and love the stroller or vise versa. We shall see.

I'm currently leaning towards a Bugaboo Cameleon because it looks like the perfect farmer's market shopping cart.
#17 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 AM

For me, it's just another one of those 'everything in moderation' mommy gadgets. WONDERFUL in certain situations but shouldn't be used as a crutch. It gets hot, hot, hot here this time of year and I flat out cannot wear DD all the time. Sorry, she's over 18lbs, it's 95 degrees and hotter (will be in the 100's soon), and that's not comfortable for her OR me if we're going to be outside for a long period of time. I tried to wear her while grocery shopping but she's much more content in the cart where she can turn, wiggle, and gawk at people more easily, lol. She is very much going through a I-dont-want-to-hold-still phase so babywearing has gone down a lot lately. I haven't tried wearing her on my back yet so maybe I should see if she digs that a little more than front carries now.

However, I can count on one hand the number of times we've used the stroller so I'm not going to beat myself up over it, lol!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#18 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 AM

My current LO overall would rather be sling/wear her than be in a stroller however there are times I do use it and I'm VERY happy to own one. My first LOVED her stroller and wasn't too keen on being worn when say on an outting. I forced her to deal with being in a sling because it was sosposly the best... I no longer care I'll do what feels best for us and the situation I'm in.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#19 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM

can anyone recommend a good small stroller for a relaly LO (almost 3 months)?
I got this one I love but for one thing. It is a cosco umbrella type-ish- nice and small and light and it has a good sun visor and stuff- but the handle on it is so short it is nearly impossible to push! I have no idea why it is designed that way. I would love something similar but w- a higher handle. I ahve tried ammending the handle but it didn't turn out great
http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng...lla-Strollers/
similar to the 1st one on here but different color
#20 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM

the maclaren's all have nice high handles, and you can get one for not to much $$$ the one I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Quest...5654396&sr=1-8

Target has some nice options also. There is a Maclaren (pricier than mine, which I chose because it is useful from 3 months and has a recline feature) that has adjustable handles.

DH is 6'6" and finds the handles to be fine height wise, as do I and I am not even 5'

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#21 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Ah, the bucket. Another situational device for me. I do transport Elsa from car to house and vice versa in her bucket 99% of the time. This is for several reasons. One is because we only have one car and I'll need the seat if there's a situation where someone else will be driving us. Another is that we have extreme weather. Winter was cold, and I preferred to get her bundled inside instead of messing with it outside, and keep the seat at a comfortable temperature. Now that it's getting hot and muggy, the same thing applies. And there's the fact that I'm tall, she's tall, and the backseat is cramped. It's much easier on both of us to just get her settled and then snap her in.

I think the only time I leave the seat in the car is when we go grocery shopping because I wear her, and church because it doesn't last long and it takes up too much room in the pew.

People probably think I'm a bucket mom because of that but oh well.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#22 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM

I take A LOT of walks with my 6 month old and my 3 1/2 year old. I grab the stroller, the beco and the diaper bag and we walk all over town. Sometimes the baby rides, sometimes the 3 yr old rides while the baby is in the beco, sometimes the baby's in the beco, the 3 yr old is walking and the diaper bag is riding.

I don't understand the dislike, either. It's just a stroller.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
#23 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Now that I am finally a Mom myself, I totally judge other mothers LESS than I did when I was just an ideal parent in my mnd, as I know more of the reality of how it is being a parent.
So I find it extra annoying when other moms act judgey about things like this- like other moms shold be the most compassionate!
But at any rate- most of us probably hang out with and hold our babies tons. I don't think it really matters as much as some people seem to how we manage to get them from point A to B!
It's not like they are in the stroller all day long!
Anyway- my ds seems to relax and enjoy strollers. ( I am defensive against the IRL moms who appeared to judge me the other day!!)
WonderfulStuff likes this.
#24 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Oh this is so refreshing!! I think AP mom's get a negative reputation sometimes and when I was pregnant I watched Away We Go and was totally confused about how AP I wanted to be! I wasn't sure how jokey it was supposed to be - in our small town, a lot of the people just think of AP as kinda weird. I still struggle to figure out how AP I am and it feels really good to hear you all talk about "balance". I totally agree with that and am feeling less and less guilty for not wearing the baby everywhere, every time I get up to go somewhere or do something! Unfortunately, I've run into a lot of AP's who are so rigid in their thinking to the point that it seems they are doing this as a trend rather than really assessing the baby's needs in each given situation. Does an active little explorer NEED to be worn all the time? No! But I agree with a PP who said strollers can easily be overused and then it becomes yet another big piece of unnecessary baby junk.

With that said, I love, love, love my Joovy Kooper stroller. I do loving wearing the babe and often get stared at when she's bundled up in the SleepyWrap. But sometimes the stroller gives her a little independence and she just squeals with delight as she kicks her legs and sings to strangers as we stroll by. Yay for balance!
#25 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
tzs

does anybody else find it kind of ironic that in a community such as this one that is kind of known for being anti-stroller, anti-consummer, we all have these super duper fancy tricked out expensive strollers?!?

i know that's a generalization but anytime anyone asks for a stroller rec it's always the top of the line ones that we seem to enjoy. i mean, i have my phil and teds but i recommend the bugaboo all the time, the BOB, the Maclarans. but then you have people like my SIL who aren't labeling themselves "crunchy" that have been using the same graco double that they found by the side of the road for 5 kids and 10 years and could care less.
jpietryka likes this.

#26 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
does anybody else find it kind of ironic that in a community such as this one that is kind of known for being anti-stroller, anti-consummer, we all have these super duper fancy tricked out expensive strollers?!?
I think it is.

And re: your earlier post, I'm in Milwaukee area too!

Mama to three

#27 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

I chose the Mclaren not for its high-end-ness, but because it was the highest rated stroller that met our needs. and was within our price range. i love the bugaboo strollers, but I can't afford or justify the expense of one.

That said, some of these awesome strollers can be found at consignment and craigslist for way less! that is how I got my arm's reach co-sleeper!

#28 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 PM

I have to say I recently saw a funny stroller moment, my niece was having her DD's b-day party and we went, it was at a park. The shelter for the party was *maybe* 25ft away from the parking. My other niece and niece in law both drug out their GIANT Graco travel system strollers, lugged them across the grass and had their babies(4m and 8m) in them. My DH and I laughed so hard at them while in the car, we just couldn't get why they'd not carry their babes, I mean literally 25ft it seemed so silly and cumbersome, especially when there were 20 people who would help hold the babies.

For me it depends, I have an umbrella stroller and a jogger. I use the jogger often on walks because we live in the country, it is great for cruising on dirt roads with it's big beefy tires. The umbrella I just use once in awhile, it's not really a necessity type of thing, good for short walks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#29 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters View Post
That was hilarious, the best part of the movie by far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2myloves View Post
I take A LOT of walks with my 6 month old and my 3 1/2 year old. I grab the stroller, the beco and the diaper bag and we walk all over town. Sometimes the baby rides, sometimes the 3 yr old rides while the baby is in the beco, sometimes the baby's in the beco, the 3 yr old is walking and the diaper bag is riding.
This is what we do except I only have one babe, the basket at the bottom is our carrier holder. I am the silly mama pushing an empty stroller wearing my babe. Yet, we still take it everywhere, it is always in the car. Ours is a highchair as well so it comes in handy. I get that they can be over used, just as almost anything can.

tzs - I think that is funny as well and I am just as guilty of the high end recommendations.

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#30 of 84 Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I have to say I recently saw a funny stroller moment, my niece was having her DD's b-day party and we went, it was at a park. The shelter for the party was *maybe* 25ft away from the parking. My other niece and niece in law both drug out their GIANT Graco travel system strollers, lugged them across the grass and had their babies(4m and 8m) in them. My DH and I laughed so hard at them while in the car, we just couldn't get why they'd not carry their babes, I mean literally 25ft it seemed so silly and cumbersome, especially when there were 20 people who would help hold the babies.
i've been guilty of this but if it happens i'm bringing the stroller not because i can;t carry her 25 feet but as a strategical sit-it device. maybe it's just my family (or more accuractly, my husband's family....mine begs to hold her) but the second there's a hint of food coming out nobody wants anything to do with the baby anymore. and then at the end of the night, "i never get a chance to hold her!"
heck, i took the stroller outside in my own backyard just this weekend to put her in while i brought food in and out of the house, got this drink for this person, this napkin for that one.....she just sat there enjoying the whole thing but nobody bothered to take her out. not when there's hot dogs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page