Why does it seem like people think early walking is a good thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd walked at 8.5 months and ds (now 10 months) has been walking at 8 months. He is just way too mobile and many mamas I talk to are so proud as showing off their early walking babies. I just don't see what is to show off. I would be just fine if ds wanted to just sit and ply with toys instead of jumping in the tub, climbing on the couch, throwing things in the toilet, just getting into trouble. He is just too young for this. He has been so active for so long I can't even remember the quiet days. Anyone go through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not, luckily, but have a few friends who have. I am with you that early walking may seem like they are 'advanced' which I guess is true but it is also troublesome!

What gets me is when a new mother is anxious for her baby to crawl/walk because the stationary baby is boring. I say hang out with a mother who has a moving baby and 'trade' for a little bit.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM

DS didn't walk early, but he was an early crawler. He was army crawling at 4 months and boy could he move. I got nothing but sympathy from other moms.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm one of the weirdo moms that prefers a mobile baby ....I've had a lot more fun with DD since she starting moving. Maybe I won't be as anxious when there are two.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adallae View Post
I'm one of the weirdo moms that prefers a mobile baby ....I've had a lot more fun with DD since she starting moving. Maybe I won't be as anxious when there are two.
Sure it is fun, and dd and ds run around and play together outside so well, That makes it worth it. But sometimes I need a break- Like when I go to the bathroom, my baby can run after me. I just want to pee alone!!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Out of the four of my children who walk (little baby hasn't started yet!) I have experienced the gammet of early to late walkers. My fourth baby was the "advanced" one and it was exciting how quickly she crawled, walked and talked. At the same time it made me sad because I felt she was a baby for such a short time. My first didn't walk until she was 15 months old. At one year she was about as mobile as my eight month old is now. Her babyhood was just long and while I worried about her not walking I very much enjoyed how little she seemed for so long.

I think people get excited when their children hit milestones and perhaps some don't realize the consequences of having a walker. It does make things A LOT harder!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I loved it when my kids started to walk. Not in a show-offy way, but I just felt like it made my life so much easier. We could go to the park and I didn't have to worry about them crawling around on wood chips, which must be uncomfortable. Even playing outside in our own yard was easier when they were up off of the ground. If I had an armload of stuff to carry into the house, it was nice once my kids could walk beside me, clinging to my fingers, instead of my having to carry them all the time. Carrying kids is wonderful and I still do a fair amount of it, but it is also great having the choice to put them down sometimes.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Both my kids have been mobile early, my son is 8 months and cruises and stands all the time, he's crawls incredibly fast. Since he's started crawling we've had to be on gag patrol, he'll dig in the plants and eat the dirt, eat dog hair. I joke that my babies don't like being babies, but want to be crazy toddlers. They both have been like this. DD didn't walk independently until a week shy of her 1st b-day, but she crawled fast and cruised from 6.5 months and DS was 7 months. I have to say it has made it easier with DS because I can put him down now, before he'd cry, now he can check stuff out.

Did you crawl early or your DH? my family seems to have early mobility. My uncle walked at 8.5 months and so did I.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM

I was annoyed by my early walker. It was like she didn't have the sense to be mobile, but her little body allowed it anyway!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

DS2 walked at 7.5 months, DS1 at 9 mo, DD is still crawling at 10+ mo. Walking at 7.5 months was crazy - I felt like everyone "saw" him as a toddler, but developmentally in every other way, he was still a BABY.

That said, I was happy for both my "early" walkers because it made *them* happy. DS1 in particular did NOT like being stuck in one place and made us walk him around holding onto our fingers pretty much from birth. So it was a relief for my back when he walked, too!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
I loved it when my kids started to walk. Not in a show-offy way, but I just felt like it made my life so much easier. We could go to the park and I didn't have to worry about them crawling around on wood chips, which must be uncomfortable. Even playing outside in our own yard was easier when they were up off of the ground. If I had an armload of stuff to carry into the house, it was nice once my kids could walk beside me, clinging to my fingers, instead of my having to carry them all the time. Carrying kids is wonderful and I still do a fair amount of it, but it is also great having the choice to put them down sometimes.
This is how I felt too. I found it much easier when DD started walking, it just seemed like there were so many more things we could do.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I was annoyed by my early walker. It was like she didn't have the sense to be mobile, but her little body allowed it anyway!
Me too! Both of my girls walked early and it's just hard. Now, at one, the baby can climb anything. But she has no sense at all. I think it's a lot harder once they move.

:Mama to 2 :
Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
DS2 walked at 7.5 months, DS1 at 9 mo, DD is still crawling at 10+ mo. Walking at 7.5 months was crazy - I felt like everyone "saw" him as a toddler, but developmentally in every other way, he was still a BABY.

That said, I was happy for both my "early" walkers because it made *them* happy. DS1 in particular did NOT like being stuck in one place and made us walk him around holding onto our fingers pretty much from birth. So it was a relief for my back when he walked, too!

7.5 months, that's amazing! When did he start crawling? And you have me cracking up out loud at the picture of your son making you walk him around holding your fingers from birth!!!!!!!!!!! I assume you are exaggerating!!!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 AM

DD walked at 10.5 months -- so, fairly early. DS began pulling up the same day he "officially crawled" (i.e., across a room) and he can now stand momentarily without holding onto anything. he's currently 8 months. i fully expect him to be walking in the next month or so. frankly, i'm looking forward to it too. because -- for example tonight, the neighbor kids came over and DD and them were playing in our driveway. DS wanted to play too -- he really did. but i didn't dare set him down on the asphalt to crawl, i don't want him tearing up his knees. but if he could stand on his feet, then yes, i would let him. he's a super busy kid, just like his sister. and she, an early-ish walker, has turned out to be very athletic.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 AM

I was one of those moms that was proud to show off my walking baby. I mean, I'm proud of a lot of things my kids do. My DD will never walk at all, but I love to make her smile so she can show off her gorgeousness to other people. She'll never talk, but every coo or squeal she makes just turns me to gooey mush with adoring eyes.

DS walked at 8 months 1 day and I was proud...well, because of how incredibly strong and well-cordinated he was. Fat babies are supposed to walk later but he could hold up and move all 27 lbs of his bad self.

He's now an incredibly clutzy and uncoordinated 5 year old and I've found other things I'm proud of him for.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your kid, for any reason.

I never thought he was "better" than any other babies. Or smarter for having learned to walk earlier. I didn't compare him to others or try to make parents feel like their kid was behind. I was just proud, plain and simple. And I never was annoyed that he could get into things. He could do that before he walked anyway.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 AM

Ds1 walked at 9 months, and I really wished he hadn't because he had a head the size of a large pumpkin. He was ALWAYS falling over and bonking it, I think it was just too big to balance up there. But he was determined to go!

Mommy to kids

Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 AM

I think for some people it is something they like to brag about. It's so hard to avoid the compare the babies game.

Ds was crawling around 6 months & shortly after that pulling up & cruising. He didn't walk particularly early but that really didn't slow him down any, he was in to EVERYTHING. I agree, I barely got to enjoy the quiet, easy days of putting him on a blanket with toys & being confident he wasn't going anywhere. Although after 7 months of him crawling through gross stuff I was happy when he could stay on his feet.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 AM

Let's just say that I'm ready for my 24lb 15mo to start walking. Like, a few months ago would have been nice! Carrying him everywhere is a PITA and is hurting my back like you wouldn't believe. For some reason my knees have been hurting lately (extra pregnancy weight? Though I haven't gained much yet) and carrying him around isn't helping.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
Ds1 walked at 9 months, and I really wished he hadn't because he had a head the size of a large pumpkin. He was ALWAYS falling over and bonking it, I think it was just too big to balance up there. But he was determined to go!
LOL!!!!!!
I haven't had an early walker yet- ds might surprise me though. Dd walked at 12 and1/2 months. Ds has been army crawling all over the house since just before 6 months and started pulling himself up to standing and crawling hands and knees since 7 and 1/2 months. I think he will walk earlier than his sister did. I can't imagine him walking now at 7 and 1/2 months or 8 months like some of the babies on here! He is soooo little!!!!!
But I was happy when he started crawling. He entertains himself so much better. He just crawls all over the house playing with random things his sister leaves on the floor or crawling into the closet or under the bed ( and getting stuck) and making us all laugh!!. Its also freaken adorable when he crawls to my feet and wants to be picked up. I love love love the 6-12 month range. So I enjoy my early crawler ALOT. I'm sure an early walker would probably get into more trouble though???? But I could see it as advantage at the park. Ds doesn't like to be wore alot unless he is tired and if he crawls around he eats mulch etc. Yesterday we were at the beach and ds kept crawling around getting sandy and eating sand.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
Yes! Ds's poor head is a bruised mess.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I have got to say, my 10 month ds is totally cute as he grabbed a wet wash cloth and has been running around the house washing all the walls. He must have seen me do it a while back.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM

DS started walking just shy of 10 months old and I loved to watch him run around wherever we were. Sure, he was harder to keep an eye on because he was constantly into things, but he was such a happy little guy.

DD on the other hand is in no rush to start walking and I am enjoying that too. It's nice that she is content to sit still and play quietly instead of always being on the go.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 AM

My two older children were both early walkers - DD took her first steps a day before she turned 7 months and gave up crawling about a month later since crawling was faster until then. She had been crawling/cruising for a month (she started crawling and cruising the same day - actually a day before she turned six months, strangely enough). DS1 didn't take his first steps until he was about 8 1/2 months (which felt late after DD ) but gave up crawling by 9 months. This little guy (DS2), is already at LEAST as developed as the other two were by his age, but then, he's only two months old, so we shall see. I'm sorta hoping he avoids the crawling thing for a while longer than the other two did... and walking too, but of course, once they're crawling and pulling up all bets are off anyway. *sigh*

So yeah... I actually don't like that my kids walked so early, and it bothers me more because I expect people probably think i'm bragging when I state the fact of when the kids walked, but really it was more con than pro. It feels like I get robbed of the baby phase. It was just so short with the first two.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 AM

I wanted dd to walk--ON HER OWN. We had about two months (5-7) of lovely happy sitting and playing. Then a month of trying to learn to crawl (7-8) with lots of diving forward onto her tummy from sitting and then needing help sitting up again.

Then there was crawling, which wasn't too horrible, but dd was bored with quite soon. She'd be asking to hold hands and walk together starting around 7 months, and that really took off at 8 months.

Silly child refused to even cruise, which would've been a bit of a break from the walking practice, y'know?

dd wasn't early by the standards of this thread. While I would've liked a longer crawling stage, thank goodness we got one at all.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post
I'm sure an early walker would probably get into more trouble though????
Actually, there's this lovely period between learning to walk and being able to see over the tops of tables. Unfortunately, dd's height is such that her "ooo, I know what's up there without standing on tiptoe!" stage has lined up with her "I know the last 7 billion pieces of wood on this playground were 'barkdust', will mommy say 'it's barkdust' about piece 7billion and one?"
Old 06-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Oh, I am really glad to find other mom's of early walkers here. My little guy is now walking free since 10 days. He does not know how to crawl at all. People keep telling me, that crawling is important for brain development. Our son is just 7 months old.

Since he started walking he needed much more attention from us, because at first he needed our help to walk, and now the house needs to be baby proofed, he reaches higher shelves, falls down and needs help getting up again.

And people assume he is older (he is just average sized), but him walking people think he is 12 months old.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Yes, this! My first was mobile from 6 months and walking at 9. Whenever I saw babies who sat and played, I was jealous. I hope my current babe is stationary for a bit longer.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 AM

My son was pretty significantly delayed and didn't crawl until 15 months or walk until just before his 2nd birthday. He was in physical therapy once a week and it was financially and emotionally draining, just waiting for him to start walking, because he was otherwise completely healthy and "normal".

So I have to say that it was unbelievably frustrating when other moms would tell me they "wished" their child was delayed. Um, no, you don't! On the late side of normal is one thing. Developmental delays are something no one wants for their children!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 AM

DS is on the total opposite end of the spectrum. He didn't start walking until he was 19 months old. We had him in Physical and Developmental Therapy and they found no physical reason for him not to be walking. He was determined to do things when he was ready and on his own time and nothing was going to change that.

In some ways it was nice when he wasn't mobile, because he could go fewer places and got into less trouble. In some ways it was really frustrating to watch kids younger than him walking perfectly. Plus add in the fact that I was pregnant, and he had to be carried everywhere. In a lot of places we didn't even have the option to set him down, because he didn't know how to stand up unassisted, and in a lot of places we couldn't just set him down because it was unsafe or not baby proofed. Plus DS would freak out whenever he couldn't see one of us, and a lot of the time he didn't know how to follow us or get things he wanted or go where he wanted to go, so it was frustrating for him too.

Now he knows how to walk perfectly and is quickly learning how to run. He spends all his time chasing after us and the dog, and he's so much happier now that he figured out this whole walking business. His latest accomplishment is discovering how to stomp with his shoes on, which he proudly shows off to anyone and everyone.

User Tag List