Low Hemoglobin at 9 Months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just went in for our WIC recert, and they do the height, weight, and heel prick. Jocelyn's hemoglobin was 8.8 and the WIC lady was frustrating. She gave me a referral to our doctor, blah blah.

Jocelyn is breastfed, and loves finger foods.

Should I worry? Feed her steak? (kidding..)

Opinions?

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
#2 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

are you veg? if not, why not some ground beef/lamb/bird?

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#3 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 AM

I'd be a little concerned about an 8.8 in a 9 month old. Maybe the referral is a good thing, they can do a real blood test (not just a prick) and see if her hemoglobin really is low. They can do a serum ferritin at the same time, which is a better indicator of anemia. If she is low, I wouldn't do artificial supplements right away, I'd focus on naturally iron-rich foods first, give it a month or two, and see if her numbers come up. If they don't, then consider supplementing.

But it might be worth looking into an underlying cause, because that is kind of low for a breastfed baby that eats finger foods. Does she have any GI issues? Maybe you should cut dairy out of both of your diets for a while to see if that helps too. Has she been sick recently? Any reason why her iron levels would be lower?

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 AM

I am willing to be corrected, but my understanding is that breastmilk contains little or no iron. So, what the baby has at birth is their store until they begin eating solid foods. You can give her raisins, blackstrap molasses, etc. I would begin iron rich foods immediately, and then if you decide to take her in, the next test should be more accurate.

Also, if she has recently had a cold, fever, or some other type of stress, her iron is likely to be low. When your body is stressed, it uses iron rapidly. A few weeks should allow her to stabilize again if that was the cause. And, again, iron rich foods are always a good idea...low iron or not.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#5 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 12:48 PM

I'd go get a real count from a dr, not WIC, they screw up numbers all.the.time. They put my DD's weight at 25 lbs when she was 10 months, it was actually 20.5.

I do give my 8 mo old steak, he loves it.

I just got a lecture at WIC about my son's average, his was 11 and he just was sick, so I wasn't concerned, but a number as low as an 8.8, I'd go in and get that checked out.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#6 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Floradix is safe for babies if given in the correct doses. It is essentially an "iron rich food" and is easily absorbed. You could start him at 1 teaspoon twice a day for a couple of weeks and then back down to 1 teaspoon a day. That combined with beefing up his diet with some iron rich foods would likely bring it up quickly.

IMO, if breastmilk has little to no iron content, there is good reason for that. Who decides what the the hemoglobin of a nine month old should be anyway? Most babies are fed formula which contains iron so if the norm is based off those babies, we have no idea what is normal for a healthy breastfed baby. Does that make sense?

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#7 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas.

I'd love some iron rich food suggestions for my little lady.

Have never run into this before!

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
#8 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...ml#ironsources

Here's a good list

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#9 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 PM

i've no idea what that number means tbh but if there is a worry giving foods that contain more iron such as broccoli, spinach and other green leafy vegetables would be a good thing and red meat contains iron as far as i know so spaghetti bolegnase would be a good thing.

prob a daft question, do 9mth olds normally get a heal prick test? and whats WIC?

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 AM

WIC is an income based program in the US that offers nutrtional assistance for women, infants and children, so it's acronym is WIC. Every state has a program, and you get help in the form of checks that offer certain foods on them(milk, eggs, cheese, pb, etc).

It's known for being helpful and annoying.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 AM
tzs

the kellymom list for ironrich foods is great.
i also "cheat" a little and add the earth's best oatmeal which is iron fortified to liquidy things like soup, chili, sauces, yogurt, etc.... actually with the yogurt it's really helpful since i try to do the plain unsweetened stuff and it takes out some of that tang.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page