Feb 2010 JUNE chat thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
On another thought, send big, fat vibes for Caleb today. We have our appointment for another weight check and vaccine this afternoon. He hadn't gained anything last time so we really need to see a gain today.
nak

chubby baby vibes your way, hope he gained

Mama to three

#62 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM

All my hair just started falling out this week too!

I'm here at my parents' house with both boys now...it's weird not having a million chores to do - just diaper laundry. I can't figure out if I feel rested or not. At least the drive went reasonably well. It's the farthest we've gone with the baby, until Wednesday, when we head for Texas for my cousin's wedding.

I gave DS1 rice cereal for a first food (organic!), and he enjoyed splashing it around, but he never really ate much. It did feel wasteful to have a mostly-full box of it sitting there getting old, but I certainly wasn't going to eat the stuff. We started at 6.5 months. We put it off the extra half month from the standard because we were going on a big trip, but we couldn't make DS1 wait any longer than that, he's been grabbing at our food since 4 months. Now at 3 months DS2 is already eager, but since he's just as eager to eat soap (did I say that already?) I don't think we're ignoring his signals too badly. I can hardly take him in the saltwater pool here because he keeps trying to drink the water. He dips his fist in and puts it in his mouth over and over.

This time I think we'll do a vegetable first. I'm afraid that if I start with a fruit he won't want anything that's less sweet. I remember reading a really good article on first foods, and I think it was in Mothering, but I haven't dug it up yet.
#63 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
On another thought, send big, fat vibes for Caleb today. We have our appointment for another weight check and vaccine this afternoon. He hadn't gained anything last time so we really need to see a gain today.
How did everything go today???

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#64 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM

The only change that I've noticed with my hair is that it's not as shiny as it was when I was pg. Or maybe it was the shampoo I was using that the time, but I think it had a lot to do with the prenatal vitamins and all of those crazy hormones.

As far as purees go, we'll probably start W on them around 6 months. We'll just see what his ped has to say at this 4 month check up. He certainly likes to sit in my lap while I'm eating and naw on my thumb while mama carefully feeds herself with her left hand. That baby has some strong gums!! I need to find a Sophie for him!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#65 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
My ped is very into nutrition--she goes to breastfeeding conferences and pushes whole foods, etc. She is adamant that it is important to wait until 6 months, so in this particular case I bow to her expertise. I will also wait until he a) can sit up unassisted, b) acts interested in food (likely to happen before the other 2), and c) loses the tongue-thrust reflex.
With my DD we did mostly chunks and finger foods, but also some purees, which I let her self-feed. I didn't consider pureer off-limits to us as long as she was holding the spoon herself. Rice cereal never crossed my threshhold.
This - plus, my ped recommends waiting until the first tooth appears as another sign of readiness, along with being able to sit up (and not before 6 months).

We offered banana to DS1 when he was 6 months - it was hilarious. He thought it was NASTY! We have video of it - he actually shivers with disgust a few times! He didn't become really interested until 7-8 months. Berries were a big hit (and a big mess!) He never really cared for avocado, much to my serious dismay.

Just a note - my ped said that around 4-5 months (so our babies now) many parents mistake baby's interest in the world around them - including you eating - for actual interest in eating. They're not interested in eating - they're interested in EVERYTHING, including you eating. They're just seeing the world for the first time and everything is fascinating. So don't rush the solids!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#66 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
My ped is very into nutrition--she goes to breastfeeding conferences and pushes whole foods, etc. She is adamant that it is important to wait until 6 months, so in this particular case I bow to her expertise. I will also wait until he a) can sit up unassisted, b) acts interested in food (likely to happen before the other 2), and c) loses the tongue-thrust reflex.
With my DD we did mostly chunks and finger foods, but also some purees, which I let her self-feed. I didn't consider pureer off-limits to us as long as she was holding the spoon herself. Rice cereal never crossed my threshhold.
This is what we're planning to do. I've also heard to wait until they have developed the "pincher grasp" which is actually the only thing DS is really showing, at almost 4 months, so we'll be waiting. Although the tongue-thrust reflex seems to be lessening as he chews on his teether.

Quote:
My kids all liked spicy tacos, lol.
Now I want spicy tacos!! Incidentally, I assume DS will like spicy--since we have dairy issues over here I practically only eat Thai, Indian, and Chinese food....most of which is spicy. Mmmmm.

Quote:
Hope all went well, Nicole.

We've been busy vacationing, etc, so I've lurked some but not posted. We did cloth on a week long trip and it was surprisingly simple. We also did pretty well on 4 flights-he BF on all of them and no problems there.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#67 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Oh, and here are a few new pics of DS

Looking mischievous

Smiley

At the pool on vacation

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#68 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Cute, Kara!

Proof from my house this evening that child wanting something doesn't prove readiness to consume it.

Bought new cloth diapers today. But my little chub fit in the next size up, so at least I could buy some wraps that I would have needed anyway.

Katie, I don't think there is anything wrong with rice cereal per se, it's just the highly processed, low-nutrition infant food that a lot of babies get crammed in their face way before they are ready, launching them into a lifetime of eating tasteless, nutrionless processed food. I think poking a little fun at it was just my way of getting back at all the people here in Kentucky (which is known, you know, for it's good nutrition and health consciousness--NOT) who have already asked me if I've started putting in my DS's "bottle" yet. (Um, I eat a lot of rice myself, does that count? ) I started with veggies and fruit both when my DD started solids--I don't think there is any particular reason to do one over the other. And we did actual brown rice once she was eating grains--it's a pretty decent finger food, actually. My DD loved eating little chunks of brown rice mashed up with cheese once she was eating dairy.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#69 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok just a quick whine/rant. I seriously feel like I am losing it! DH has been sick/throwing up for past 24hrs-think it is food poisoning. I am not very sympathetic and he is all dramatic and stuff. I have been taking care of DS by myself for past week and a half 24/7. DH probably had 10-30min per day for past week- he is studying for the bar but still! DS is up literally every 10-30min with his stuffy nose so he is crying and not sleeping. Then he nurses so much his stomach seems to hurt. I WANT A BREAK!!! Seriously. I feel like if I could just get a 2-4hour chunk of time I might not go crazy.
So it all got me thinking, we don't use a pacifier, I really don't have a problem with other people using one at all, I just have this weird thing about me using one for this baby. He doesn't have a high suck need and I feel like I would be disregarding his needs if I used one. That being said- after he clamped down on my boob and pulled side to side for the second or third time tonight, a pacifier does not seem so bad! Does anyone use them just for sleep or to go to sleep after nursing? I am feeling desperate and not sure if anything makes sense but does anyone ever introduce a pacifier at 5 mo and only at night? Anyway, sorry for the self centered rant. I am having a mini pity party and didn't have anyone to tell

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#70 of 195 Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
This - plus, my ped recommends waiting until the first tooth appears as another sign of readiness, along with being able to sit up (and not before 6 months).
What about kids like mine who don't get teeth until nearly their first birthday? Jasmine and Shane were both nearly 11 months before getting their first tooth, and Athena didn't get hers until 13 months. Athena has had eating issues since day 1, but both Jasmine and Shane were more than ready for solids before 11 months...

On a happy note, Caleb was 15 lbs. 11 oz. today - so 6 ounces up from 10 days ago. I don't think all of that was actual gain because he ate RIGHT before we got weighed (in the waiting room) but even telling the pedi that it was enough of a gain for him to be happy. Next appointment is a week from Wednesday.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#71 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
What about kids like mine who don't get teeth until nearly their first birthday? Jasmine and Shane were both nearly 11 months before getting their first tooth, and Athena didn't get hers until 13 months. Athena has had eating issues since day 1, but both Jasmine and Shane were more than ready for solids before 11 months...

On a happy note, Caleb was 15 lbs. 11 oz. today - so 6 ounces up from 10 days ago. I don't think all of that was actual gain because he ate RIGHT before we got weighed (in the waiting room) but even telling the pedi that it was enough of a gain for him to be happy. Next appointment is a week from Wednesday.
yay!!! I personally don't think teeth are a huge thing... heck my grandpa used to take out his dentures when we'd eat steak! I would be leery of introducing solids though if you have a shaky milk supply though, I don't think it will help that... Plus, everything before one is just for fun

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#72 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
ok just a quick whine/rant. I seriously feel like I am losing it! DH has been sick/throwing up for past 24hrs-think it is food poisoning. I am not very sympathetic and he is all dramatic and stuff. ....

Does anyone use them just for sleep or to go to sleep after nursing?
I wouldn't have a problem introducing a paci then after nursing... He might not take it though, I think that is the main issue with doing it so late. My dd loves her paci only at certain times-car rides, etc- I introduced around 7 weeks... so I doubt he will become addicted to it. He will know where the good stuff comes from and it might help you out? You could try... if he is biting though, I heard a firm no and removing the breast works.

#73 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
flavorful ugh- so sorry you are going through this! s
I know how it feels to be desperate for a break. It sucks that your dh is not more understanding of this right now
Is there ANYONE else you can find (or even pay?) to give you a little break?
As for the pacifier- gosh- I could start to rant- but in general my personal opinion is that I think people can get so gung ho that thee are only two parenting styles- totally AP or totally the other extreme and I disagree. I believe, use the tools that work for you. We need all the help we can get.
I used to think I would never have my baby touch a plzastic toy much less suck on a piece of plastic! And we don't really use plastic toys or plastic in our home much BUT I have found the paci to be so helpful. We tried to get the natural rubber ones but they were shaped weird and ds preferred the one we got at the hospital. I would say give it a try. I do not see how that is neglect in any way! My only issue with the paci is the sucking on plastic thing, which is big. But life is messy and imperfect and sometimes we have to just make choices, y'know?
anyway- I wish you support and hope you can find a break. I went through some tiems where I didn't get a break and it was miserable at times.
NOw I have managed to find someone to help me out a little and it helps a lot.
Good luck and keep us posted- I look forward to hearing a post from you saying- things have settled and we are feeling better!
#74 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
yay!!! I personally don't think teeth are a huge thing... heck my grandpa used to take out his dentures when we'd eat steak! I would be leery of introducing solids though if you have a shaky milk supply though, I don't think it will help that... Plus, everything before one is just for fun
My milk supply has normally pretty much gone to pot by the point we start solids anyways, so for me I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Which brings me to another thing - with all three of my older kids I got AF back before their 4 month birthday. Caleb is now 4.5 months and no sign of her. I don't have any reason to think I'm preggo - we've barely DTD, no symptoms or anything - but I did pick up a couple of tests on hand for when I get the urge to POAS just in case. I'm not sure at what point I should start being concerned enough about the lack of AF to test...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#75 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Flavorfull1: Have you tried saline drops or shower steam for his stuffy nose? Also massaging the nose/sinuses sometimes helps. Sorry he isn't feeling well.

Juju got her first taste of a pacifier this weekend. She was over-tired and over-full and starting to scream. So broke out the paci & rocked her; she was asleep in two minutes, and the paci went back into the 'emergency' kit.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#76 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Really quick: Bm in the nose for nose issues and diffusing eucyluptus essential oil. yay!

and:

Quote:
My kids all liked spicy tacos, lol.
One of my daughter's first tastes of foods was Eritrean food...SPICY...totally delicious! My favorite!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#77 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
One of my daughter's first tastes of foods was Eritrean food...SPICY...totally delicious! My favorite!
For DS1's first birthday we took him to Ethiopian food - spicy AND everyone eats with your hands! We actually have video of it.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#78 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
speaking of food- are any of you other nursing moms out there super hungry a lot?! It makes sense of course but lately I could eat high fat high protein meals 3X a day if I let myself (which I sometimes do!)
#79 of 195 Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
For DS1's first birthday we took him to Ethiopian food - spicy AND everyone eats with your hands! We actually have video of it.
LOVE that!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#80 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
speaking of food- are any of you other nursing moms out there super hungry a lot?! It makes sense of course but lately I could eat high fat high protein meals 3X a day if I let myself (which I sometimes do!)
yes!!!! And I eat way more chocolate then ever before... haha I don't have anything else with caffeine so I give in to that. I do know that as bf moms we need more calories and your body will tell you that if you let it.

#81 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Howdy ladies It's been awhile since I've been around. I fell away after I had Tristyn on January 30. However, I'm here now and things are going well. Tristyn is 19 weeks old She's growing more everyday. I have no clue how much she weighs, but she's happy and healthy. She gets some formula, because after returning to work at (barely) 6 weeks, my supply went from pumping 8-12oz a day (at work) to now I barely get 4oz... 5 if I'm super lucky. She also STTN so we're not getting night time help with the supply. I keep hoping and wishing my supply would just swell overnight. I hope to have some $$ soon to get some fenugreek/goat's rue/blessed thistle and see if it helps (the other unfortunate issue is I only tend to get one pumping session at work.)

As for me, well life has been crazy. I went back to work in late March and started the Training Academy in April. I had to cry and push myself through the defensive tactics course (I hate laying hands on people, but I need to do it in my line of work) and after many MANY bruises and frustrated crying jags on the drive home, I passed and I'm done with the hardest part. It's all downhill from here. I'm ready for Weapons training

DH is the SAHP now which has been a big adjustment. I give myself props for remembering what it was like as a SAHM and try to give him as much time and space to do what he wants/needs as often as I can, while now giving myself the freedom I never seemed to have to do what I want/need. It's working out pretty well for us. I do wish we had a little more money each month, but we'll make it.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#82 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
that video coulda been my dd! delicious...the best food in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Howdy ladies It's been awhile since I've been around. I fell away after I had Tristyn on January 30. However, I'm here now and things are going well. Tristyn is 19 weeks old She's growing more everyday. I have no clue how much she weighs, but she's happy and healthy. She gets some formula, because after returning to work at (barely) 6 weeks, my supply went from pumping 8-12oz a day (at work) to now I barely get 4oz... 5 if I'm super lucky. She also STTN so we're not getting night time help with the supply. I keep hoping and wishing my supply would just swell overnight. I hope to have some $$ soon to get some fenugreek/goat's rue/blessed thistle and see if it helps (the other unfortunate issue is I only tend to get one pumping session at work.)

As for me, well life has been crazy. I went back to work in late March and started the Training Academy in April. I had to cry and push myself through the defensive tactics course (I hate laying hands on people, but I need to do it in my line of work) and after many MANY bruises and frustrated crying jags on the drive home, I passed and I'm done with the hardest part. It's all downhill from here. I'm ready for Weapons training

DH is the SAHP now which has been a big adjustment. I give myself props for remembering what it was like as a SAHM and try to give him as much time and space to do what he wants/needs as often as I can, while now giving myself the freedom I never seemed to have to do what I want/need. It's working out pretty well for us. I do wish we had a little more money each month, but we'll make it.
/wave!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#83 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM

I'm starting to be able to get more time with my hands these days, at least in the morning. Elsa will usually give me a little bit of time every few hours while she plays or wiggles on the floor or in her bouncer. She rolled over yesterday for the first time, onto her tummy, which was pretty exciting. I was lucky enough to get it on video too.

I also realized that yesterday was one year since I took the big pee test and found out I was going to finally be a mommy. So much to happen in one short year and it's not stopping anytime soon!

The replacement chest strap just came in for my Ergo, and I can't wait to use it!

Elsa now sleeps at night for about ten hours. She hasn't "needed" to get up since about a month old but now that I've been doubling up her nighttime fitted, I feel better about letting her stay all night in the same diaper. It's lovely. She just wiggles around and latches herself when she needs to and I get to stay sleeping.

She's been a little moody the last few days and messing around with her nap and sleep patterns but I'm dealing with it ok. Her room is finally all finished and it's super cute, and I'm starting to catch up on her baby books.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#84 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
She just wiggles around and latches herself when she needs to and I get to stay sleeping.
This my absolute favorite part about bed-sharing. It is soooo easy to nurse and sleep. Especially as they get older. By the time DS was 10 months he would help himself and I barely woke up at all.

Mama to three

#85 of 195 Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 PM

See, and I can't imagine how you sleep with baby latching on and off! I have fallen asleep with DS in the bed (not intentionally, I'm always concerned that in my overtired state I'll roll over on him) and as soon as he squirms the slightest in his sleep I wake up - so not at all restful for me!

#86 of 195 Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM

She is usually just laying in the crook of my arm and I lay on my side. I wouldn't be able to move easily because she is there. I still put DD in her bassinet next to the bed most of the night, but usually at 3am, she ends up in bed with me.

---

DD has a check up today, she is 3.5 months old. She's 13lbs 5oz and 24in. We saw our new doctor. He is great so far. Really hands-off. Turns out he used to deliver homebirth babies with the midwife I used. He does not recommend rotavirus, flu, or varicella vaccinations, which I thought was awesome. DD ended up getting her first two shots today, DTAP and Hib (I think! yikes I forgot already). He is going to do 2 shots at a time once a month. That is more spread out than DS got, hopefully it's the right choice. She did not have any reactions at all today, wasn't even more sleepy than usual, which I was kind of counting on. I felt kind of bad for the doctor though, it's this tiny room, DD is screaming and I'm trying to nurse her, while flashing the doctor because she kept arching her back. Meanwhile DS is "washing his hands" a bajillion times and making a huge mess. Fun times. Hopefully I won't have to bring DS to everywell-baby check.

Mama to three

#87 of 195 Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I feel like I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. DH was able to help some with DS last night which was good. I got about an hour of sleep. Unfortunately, DS rolled off of the couch when DH wasn't looking (um hello you have a 5mo old!)....hard to not be upset about that and accusatory but it could happen to anyone I guess and DH felt really bad. It was interesting that I ran to where they were before I even fully realized DS was crying, guess that is the motherly instinct. DS was totally fine and all smiles in less than a minute. Scared mommy and daddy more than him. I *think* my DH is getting the idea about me needing more help so we will see. Thank you ladies for the support, it really helped me get through a very hard time. My mom and sister are in town to help out with my other sister who just had a baby and it helps to just have an extra set of hands to hold DS so I get a little break.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#88 of 195 Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Of course, just after I post about how great things are, I think she's started teething.

She was irritable on and off yesterday, and by bedtime was pretty much inconsolable. She fussed/screamed for an hour before taking her frozen teether, gumming it for five minutes and falling asleep.

She woke up all right, but after two hours she was screaming again. She would try to nurse, and act like she wanted to eat, but kept whimpering and popping off. I didn't know what to do so gave her some orajel and she finally fell asleep. She's still sleeping.

I wasn't ready for this and have no clue how to proceed. I wasn't expecting this just yet.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#89 of 195 Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

So NicoleS POAS yet?

#90 of 195 Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM

No, should I be? I just don't feel like I am - no symptoms whatsoever aside from being exhausted - but I suspect that is more from going to bed after midnight and getting a 5 AM wakeup call from the little man than anything else...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page