Feb 2010 JUNE chat thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lauren That is so great that you and your dh and dd go traveling. Is it hard to do with a LO? I guess every one is different. I feel pretty exhausted from just taking ds out to a trip to town sometimes! But partially cause my body isn't still in top form yet.
Good to finally see pics of your beautiful dd!

flavorful1
yes that is the exact same chair! very useful, I think. I love the picture of your ds and Dh! they look so alike! Your dh looks a little like James Taylor used to look, I think! That picture is great, worth of framing and putting on a wall!
#122 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this age is the easiest to travel with. It gets harder once they aren't content to sit still and nurse (on a plane).

Juju, at 6 mos actual/4 mos adjusted, is now working on sitting unassisted--for up to 15 seconds at a time so far. And this morning she finally grabbed her Sophie and stuffed it into her mouth. She's growing up!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#123 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

oh and no AF yet... baby is nursing ALL night long, so who knows when that will come. Can you guess based on your mother?
Fun pictures Lauren31.

I could based on my mom. My brother and sister are less than a year apart, AF returned for me at 7 weeks. And then again at 11 weeks. So, I just about do for another one since DD is 15 weeks. Ugh. At least I'm fertile I guess.

------

More kids? - Yup, we're still going to go with the new baby every 2 years plan. If all goes as planned, we'll have another baby when DD is 26 months. DD was born when DS was 22 months. Then we'll have one more 2 years after that! Then, I think we'll be done.

Mama to three

#124 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM

No AF over here yet, thankfully. I'm hoping not to get it until at least 6 months.

Aengus is growing and has a hilarious personality. Such a loud talker! He laughs and squeals, particularly at DH. He is extremely ticklish--even when I'm just trying to wash his little neck rolls or underarms he will start giggling and try to pull away. He can roll both ways, but generally doesn't care to-he prefers to roll to his side and scoot to get where he wants. He did a 180 yesterday morning when he was playing in bed and ended up upside down. He also puts everything in his mouth.

DH applied for basically his dream job. We were planning on me working and being primary income when DS was about a year and DH being the SAHP, but if this works out, it will be the other way around. It's kind of awesome, would require a huge move and we could homestead like I've been dreaming. So, send some get hired vibes over here if you get time.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#125 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM

so it sounds like me having AF back 14 wks pp is on the early side of things? Is that right? what is the average time for people- or I mean span of time? I do EBF so I dunno why I would get it early- or is it not that early?
#126 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Katie - I got my AF at about 7 weeks PP... and I have at least a one day AF every month since (no real regularity though). Lucky me!

I guess we are just fertile Myrtles!

Mama to 1 home-birthed boy (2/2010) and another baby on the way (spring 2012).
#127 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for catching up today, you guys. It's good to know lots of us are still reading this thread!
#128 of 195 Old 06-23-2010, 11:59 PM

Well, interesting doctor's appointment for Caleb today.

He's up to 16 pounds, which was 5 ounces in 9 days. So enough of a gain that we don't have to go back until his 6 month checkup.

The doctor is concerned that Caleb's fussiness after vaccines could potentially be an allergy to a preservative or binder in the vaccine itself. So he wants us to see an allergist to rule it out. If it is an allergy, then we will have to re-evaluate our vaccine plan again and get most of them from the immunologist. If it isn't, I guess I just look like the goofy over-protective mom with a crabby baby.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#129 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone else get a different body odor when they are pregnant? I seem to. I have noticed that I am smelling like I used to, but when I was pregnant I had a different scent....I wonder if it was my BO changing, or my nose ...

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#130 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post
Does anyone else get a different body odor when they are pregnant? I seem to. I have noticed that I am smelling like I used to, but when I was pregnant I had a different scent....I wonder if it was my BO changing, or my nose ...
Yes, for sure! I can't remember when it went away after dd1 was born, but I know I went back to "normal" at some point. It's improving a little bit recently for me (we're at 17 weeks postpartum today) but I still feel like I stink!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#131 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
Yes, for sure! I can't remember when it went away after dd1 was born, but I know I went back to "normal" at some point. It's improving a little bit recently for me (we're at 17 weeks postpartum today) but I still feel like I stink!
My smell is the opposite ... I thought I had a sweet smell while pregnant - all I needed was a shower ... Now I have a pungent odor!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#132 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
My smell is the opposite ... I thought I had a sweet smell while pregnant - all I needed was a shower ... Now I have a pungent odor!
Interesting! I think I smelled "normal" through pregnancy and feel pretty "pungent" postpartum. I assumed it was just hormonal.

#133 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
The doctor is concerned that Caleb's fussiness after vaccines could potentially be an allergy to a preservative or binder in the vaccine itself. So he wants us to see an allergist to rule it out. If it is an allergy, then we will have to re-evaluate our vaccine plan again and get most of them from the immunologist. If it isn't, I guess I just look like the goofy over-protective mom with a crabby baby.
What kind of fussiness did he experience? What shots did you get him? We are doing a delayed schedule with my baby- basically the same as Dr. Sears. Her 2 month shots were bad...
Quote:
me too!!! I can actually smell my armpits!

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#134 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM

AF came back for me when the kids began to eat...about 1 year pp w/dd and 2 yrs pp w/ ds1.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#135 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM

I wish I smelled sweet! My smell was very different this last pregnancy which I think has to do with it being a girl pregnancy and not a boy pregnancy. It was like my normal scent but 100 times more pungent. I felt like I had to take 2 showers a day just to keep it down.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#136 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
What kind of fussiness did he experience? What shots did you get him? We are doing a delayed schedule with my baby- basically the same as Dr. Sears. Her 2 month shots were bad...
At 2 months he got everything - we normally vax on schedule. He was horrible for a week after - fussy/inconsolable, low grade fever - just not himself. So I told the doctor I wanted to do them one at a time, which he was fine with. We were going by the doctor's recommendation as to which ones were the most dangerous to him and doing those first. So he didn't even get a Rotovirus booster because the doctor said yea, it is a nasty bug, but the chances of it killing him were low.

So at 4 months he got pneumococcal conjugate - had what I would consider a "typical" reaction - about 24 hours of fussiness/abnormalness.

About a week later he got haemophilus influenzae type B (HIB) - was fussy/off for about 48 hours - I told this to the doctor, and he said hopefully that was the "bad" one then and we won't have any more issues.

A week after that we got the DTAP - and he was off for a good 72 hours after. He also got red swelling about the size of a quarter at the injection site with it and the HIB.

He got Polio yesterday, and so far seems to be ok with it. A little off last night and today, but not as bad as the other two.

Basically since he will get so many vaccines over the course of his lifetime they want to rule out an allergy to something in them - usually one of the preservatives or binding agents. If he is allergic, then we will re-evaluate our vaccine schedule, pick out the real killers, and get those shots from the immunologist. If he's just overly sensitive to being poked and not actually allergic I'll probably just talk to the doctor about splitting them up some more.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#137 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Is there a reason he got polio? That has been eradicated in most of the world and definitely the USA. We did the pediarix combo with hib.rota. pv7 and she was just miserable that night. Nothing else the rest of the week really but I decided I would NOT do that again. I did DTAP at her 4 month, Rota at 4.5 month. At her 5 I am doing PV7/HIB (I might skip PV7 as it seems stupid now that PV13 is here but my clinic won't offer it bc the army clinics suck in europe). And then at 6 months she will finish her rota, 7 months, DTAP, 8 Months, finish her HIB/prevnar (if I do it). I do not feel comfortable giving her the DTAP 8 days before my cruise for some reason. Is that silly? We are going on a Med cruise on Aug 18 and her DTAP should have been at Aug 8th.... My doctor thinks I am nuts. he is a "vaccine expert" and I just don't know about vaccines. They help but at what cost?

#138 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

We do hope to get into foreign missions further down the road, so I'd rather they be more protected than less. Also polio has been around long enough that I'm not concerned about that vaccine. Something like the chicken pox vaccine that is newer we may just skip.

I've heard of a lot of babies being fussier after DTAP, though to be fussy for 8 days after would be a little extreme. But you have to do what you are comfortable with. I tend to vaccinate a bit more than probably a lot of people on this board, a lot because we are looking at going to a third world country in the future and I want my kids protected as much as possible when we go.

#139 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 PM

we live in the Middle East and don't vax. Just putting it out there.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#140 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Another question topic from me! Just curious- how long are you planning to Breastfeed your baby? Being my first I honestly have no plan, I am just going to see how it goes.

on another note I am eating almond joy candy bars like every day. I am still quite over the weight I was before I was pregnant. But the funny thing is, I don't really mind. I eat a lot cause breastfeeding makes me super hungry! I am slowly more active as I continue to heal from the c section and birth.
And I feel like my body actually feels more supported in my new role as mom, and breastfeeding mom, with a little extra weight. I do hope that the increased exercise will bring it down some, and I really would like to get more fit- but what I mean is that other people (just my parents and dh's mom) have politely inquired with such things as- how's the weight thing going? when I didn't ever mention that I felt like I had a weight thing! And I say- I think it bothers other people more than it bothers me! While I would like to get more fit and lose some pounds, it does seem fine to me to have some more weight on my body in these first new months of motherhood.
#141 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Yeah, Elsa got polio vax at 2 months, because I wanted to give her the HIB and DTap, but the office only had them in a combo with polio. I would have preferred to wait if I got it at all but it's an old enough vaccine that I felt ok about it.

Since I have to go to the health dept for the next round I can get them separately.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#142 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Another question topic from me! Just curious- how long are you planning to Breastfeed your baby? Being my first I honestly have no plan, I am just going to see how it goes.
My minimum is 2 years. Dd1 nursed through this pregnancy and weaned (on her terms, mostly) pretty much after Caroline was born, so right about age 2.5. I feel like that was a good age and an easy transition for all of us, so I think I'll aim for 2.5...but then I don't know. Without another pregnancy to impact things, I don't know when she'll be ready to cut way back or wean completely. I have a feeling dd1 would still be going strong if we hadn't cut back so drastically due to pregnancy (and then I was in the hospital with Caroline in the NICU for almost a week).

I'm dedicating myself to eating better and getting more exercise, but not so much to just "lose weight" as to feel better and healthier!

#143 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Can I just say, I love my baby. I know you guys understand. I just hated pregnancy so bad, but every time I look at my drooly, smiley wee guy I get all ooshy-gooshy lovey-dovey.

Re: traveling. I always thought DD traveled pretty well, but infancy was particularly easy because later they have more trouble falling asleep w/o the usual bedtime routine. DS has traveled overnight twice (and again this upcoming weekend) and has done well with every aspect except the car. He's okay with that, though, if I don't drive so I can pat his hand or talk to him.

Re: nursing. No particular plan, just to see how it goes. My DD stopped nursing on her own the same week she turned 2. I did set limits during the middle-second year, however, when she started using nursing to try to get me to stop whatever I was doing. (I mean, I responded to her need for attention and often did still nurse her, but when she no longer needed it for calories I didn't make it a drop-everything-and-nurse-immediately situation anymore.)

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#144 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Juju is still totally unvaxed here in Brazil -- a place which does still have polio and gives vaccines for tuberculosis at birth. I am not as confident w/o vaxes in the first year as I was w/my babies in the US, but still am putting them off for as long as I can get away with (with my husband).

Nursing -- Was 3 yrs w/my 1st and 1 yr w/my 2nd; I want 2 yrs w/Juju.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#145 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 PM

We are looking at going to Africa, if it makes a difference. I want them vaccinated for my personal comfort level. The family we are looking at going to work with has been there about 3 years now, and say that it is very rough on kids - so we need everyone to be and stay as healthy as possible. Some things, like malaria, I won't be able to protect against, so I want to do what I can while we are here and have access to the medicine. Just my personal feelings, and I know I'm probably in the minority on this particular board.

Quote:

on another note I am eating almond joy candy bars like every day. I am still quite over the weight I was before I was pregnant. But the funny thing is, I don't really mind. I eat a lot cause breastfeeding makes me super hungry! I am slowly more active as I continue to heal from the c section and birth.
BFing is a sore topic for me. As I think I've mentioned to you ladies before, I struggle with constant supply issues. I'm currently taking domperidone and still barely getting the minimum amount of growth for a BF'd baby. So my personal goal is 6 months. If we get more than that, great, but I'm not going to count on it.

You are still healing from your c/s? Is that normal at this point? I know Caleb is a bit older than your little guy, but I've felt back to normal for some time now...

#146 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I hope to BF until DD is done, but I plan on getting pregnant when she is just over a year, so we might be done sometime around 18 months. ds was done around 14 months for the most part due to pregnancy.

with my first i had at least a year in my mind, but shortly into nursing I realized I wanted to go longer than that

Mama to three

#147 of 195 Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM

I am still kind of confused/lagging on what I want to do with vaccines. I know that I do want to get my child vaccinated. I feel like it is a public health issue for me. I had in mind that I would wait until 6 months and then selectively vax. Now that we are approaching 6 mo, I kind of feel like 1 year would be better. He just doesn't seem ready and I know I for sure as heck am not ready. I don't want it to be a decision made because I am just not ready myself and feel emotional. It's hard to figure out when baby is ready and when mommy is ready. Ugh.

NicoleS- super cool about Africa. My brother just got back from a semester abroad there and he really liked it. I would love to go- just hate to fly so trying to work on that.

As far as the losing weight thing- I am below pre pg weight but so not in the type of shape I want to be. My body composition is all mushy. Katie- I hate that people are asking about your "weight thing"! LOL what does that even mean really? I do feel so much better about my postpartum softer self than I ever did about my pre pg toned body. That being said- I wouldn't mind my abs being a little (read a lot) more toned. Whenever I work out for more than two days, I seem to notice a dip in my milk supply. I don't want that at all so I haven't been working out. I may try it again and see if it was just coincidence.

As far as breastfeeding length- as long as I can and he wants to. I figure I might cut it off if it feels outrageously long but I am up for whatever. I specifically do not want to get pg again until DS is completely done nursing. I had horrible morning sickness and I do not see how I could breastfeed and be pg at the same time and function. I still feel sick some days now when I breastfeed if I haven't gotten enough water.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#148 of 195 Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 AM

Nicole, Juju was nearly 16 lbs at her appt less than a month ago, and she was considered borderline 'too big'. I wonder if it's the charts... My doc has a new chart based on breastmilk-fed babies, who are usually a little smaller than formula-fed, but could it be that your doc is using the charts that were based on formula-fed babies?

Vaccines -- everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable on that. I think frequently of the guilt I'd feel if Ju contracted a preventable illness. And so I try to keep her in the sling and away from people to make up for it...

Speaking of which, I WISH germy strangers (women!) would stop touching her hands and cheeks!!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#149 of 195 Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Nicole, Juju was nearly 16 lbs at her appt less than a month ago, and she was considered borderline 'too big'. I wonder if it's the charts... My doc has a new chart based on breastmilk-fed babies, who are usually a little smaller than formula-fed, but could it be that your doc is using the charts that were based on formula-fed babies?
Well then my baby is OBESE!!! She was 18lbs and EBF at her 4 month appt! I am hoping to breastfeed for at LEAST one year, preferably two years but will continue to three if she wants to I just don't want to have to use formula/bottles/cows milk etc. Breastfeeding is soooo much easier and better for her then bottle feeding EVER would be, especially with all the traveling we do. We are going on a disney cruise for 10 days in august and can't IMAGINE having to sterelize bottles, bring formula, etc. ugh, what a pain in the ass. Who would CHOOSE that life? I can see having to formula feed bc of supply issues, medical problems etc but to choose that? No thank you.

#150 of 195 Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post

You are still healing from your c/s? Is that normal at this point? I know Caleb is a bit older than your little guy, but I've felt back to normal for some time now...
I guess "healing" is a relative term. While I feel significantly better, I am hoping my body over all will continue to feel stronger and more relaxed as time goes on. I feel things on very subtle levels, in general- so when something happens to my body like a big abdominal surgery, I feel that after 3 months there are layers of it (both the incision and the energetics of my body and the overall state of the physical body) that have healed but many layers still more to go! I definitely do not have my full body strength or flexibility back yet.

So what do you guys think about taking your baby out somewhere in the evening/early night? We have only taken him out at night a couple of times so far. we got invited to a mellow "party"- just a small gathering at someons house tonight. I want to go but I am not sure how ds will do. He goes to sleep around that time- but I don't want to lock our family into not ever being able to do somehting fun in the evening cause it would bother the baby! SO we may try to go. I guess we will hope/assume ds will sleep through much of it- maybe in the mei tei?
Have you all brought your babies out to potlucks or dinner time/evening-early night gatherings? Any tips on how to make it work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page