Feb 2010 JUNE chat thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, and happy Canada Day to all the canucks out there, eh!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#182 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post
Oh, and happy Canada Day to all the canucks out there, eh!
I'll take that; I'm a Canadian!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#183 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM

me too, I'm a canuck
sorry ladies I totally fell out of cyber space for a while..it's been really really hard, but beginning to get my groove on. bouncing dd in the wrap on our yoga ball while she sleeps -the onl way she naps still!

is anyone else considering solids yet? dd is freaking out over my food. but she has such bad gas digestive stuff as it is...

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#184 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM

I started looking into school last fall when I was still pregnant. It feels a little silly, but it's information I can hold onto and keep in mind for later, when we eventually get our own place. I found out some things I didn't know about. There are two rural school districts right nearby that are actually in the top 10 ranked schools for our state. And they are very small towns, which I like, both for the community feel and for lower property taxes. There are other larger, more affluent towns as well in the "metro" area with very good schools as well. And even if I decide against public schooling, there are excellent charter schools if I wanted to go that route.

Elsa's worn her amber necklace a few times but I don't think she's really teething yet. A few weeks ago she really had me going but nothing came of it. She's been pulling down long naps too, after months of catnaps only. She actually took two 2-hour naps today! Still on me, but at this point I can't tell if she needs to sleep on me still, and since I like it, I don't try to put her down. She's so cute and snuggly, and it's nice to have the "excuse" to not do housework. Plus it gives me a chance to read or catch up on blogs.

I came to a crossroads with the vaccine issue. After being ok with Hib and Dtap I changed my mind and decided that for the time being I won't vaccinate her any further. I can't even really articulate why - all the researching turned my brain to mush. Basically I just feel like the risks of the diseases are more acceptable to me than the risks of the vaccines, and I'd rather she develop natural immunities.

We're also taking some small steps toward healthier eating habits, at least as far as perishables are concerned. I found a farmer's market in town that sells non-homogenized milk (still pasteurized, but not ultra high pasteurization) from hormone- and antibiotic-free cows, plus pastured beef and chicken. We're going there to buy meat while we save for our 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig. I'm also making a point to buy all produce local when it's available, and we found a family friend who sells free range eggs for only $1.25/doz. It's little things but hopefully it will make a difference for us.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#185 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Ninetales-that farmer's market sounds awesome! I'm hoping to get a few chickens if DH gets this job he's after out west. He already promised to build me a coop.

A thinks he's ready for solid food, apparently. Twice now he has snatched food and munched. First was earlier this week, he was grabbing at toast in my hand and leaned over and gnawed at it while enthusiastically I was holding him. I relented and let him gum it a bit more. Second came today with DH. He let A lick a lara bar while I went to a meeting with my advisor and then he gnawed on it and DH panicked about him possibly choking. Don't you know you're only 4.5 months, little one?

A also has started to lean forward and prop himself up on his hands while sitting "alone" (read: while I prop him up with my hands or a pillow). He seems so proud. I guess it won't be long before he's sitting up?

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#186 of 195 Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 PM

DD has tried to grab food from me too, I have not let her yet though. She is way too young IMO, not even 4 months yet! I want to do baby-led solids this time, but I still want to wait until at least 6 months, hopefully she will let me!

She also can sit, unassisted in a boppy for a minute, which impresses me, but maybe that's normal?

We are getting ready for the 4th here, DH's family reunion is this weekend, so I have lots to get ready, somehow each child has 3 "4th of July" outfits. What a weirdo I am.

Mama to three

#187 of 195 Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM

For some reason I wasn't getting my email alerts of new posts. Hrmph.

On brilliance - meh I figure Caleb is just as brilliant as my other ones, which is probably more mommy pride than actual brilliance.

On solids - Caleb is definitely acting interested, 4 more weeks to wait!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#188 of 195 Old 07-02-2010, 03:44 PM

So at dinner tonight this lady said, oooh did the baby eat anything tonight? I said, Nope... she said, oh, is she still on formula? I say, nope, just breast milk. She says, "well my daughter was getting rice cereal and formula when she was 2 weeks old but that is because she needed that extra nutrition. She was so smart and active." WTF? I say to her, "I think my daughter is doing great nutritionally just on breastmilk but thanks for the concern. Does she look like she is deficient to you?" My daughter is super smily and 18lbs of happiness. people.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#189 of 195 Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
She was so smart and active
Snort! Some people are too much.

My baby had his first solid food today--sand! Big fistfuls! Mixed with dirty lake water! Yum.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#190 of 195 Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
wah, I was trying to cut ds's little sharp fingernails today and I accidentally cut the tip of his finger so it bled poor little guy, he cried and got so scared. It was bleeding pretty bad but I put two bandaids on it and he has mellowed out- is now okay in his swing. I felt so bad. It is so sad to see one's Lo hurt. I know it is a common occurance- but I learned that i cannot cut his fingernails when he is at all wiggly. I felt really bad. It wasn't a really super bad cut or anything but everything seems big to me when it is to my baby, y'know?

Anyone want to start a July thread?
#191 of 195 Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Lauren -- that is slightly hilarious. I wouldn't have been so nice as you...

Katie -- So sorry, but yes, VERY common! I did it once, with my middle daughter. Actually, the only time I tried to use actual clippers and on an awake baby. Felt SO awful. Normally...I bite my babies' nails while they nurse!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#192 of 195 Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Could baby be going through a nursing strike? My supply seems fine, she just only wants to nurse every when she is about to nap. Is that normal? She refuses to nurse sitting on the couch. Could it be that she is distracted?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#193 of 195 Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lauren- totally could have written this post! So for the past several weeks Malachi has refused to nurse sitting up and will only nurse going down for a nap in bed or overnight in bed. He was just too distracted by life. We finally got to nurse sitting up again today!!!
Last time he did this it was right before he rolled over on purpose for the first time. This time...he has a tooth! It has only just broken through the gums but it makes me feel like he is so grown up I am taking lots of pictures of his gummy grin because it looks like it won't be like that for long. sigh.
Katie- yeah I cut Malachi's finger like when he was a week old. I cried more than he did! My DH had to console me and Malachi was fine really quick. I have gotten really good at it now though. I can't bite his finger nails for some reason my teeth don't go together enough on the top and bottom to quite work.
Re:schools. I don't even know where we will be living! I am trying to not stress about that but we are moving to New York and I figure that by the time I need to be looking I will know where we will be living.
re: eating sand- haha. This will be my child in about five weeks at the beach. Comes right out in the diaper I hear. I am just going to look for some pearls in the diaper as well, I mean there has to be an upside right

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#194 of 195 Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
wah, I was trying to cut ds's little sharp fingernails today and I accidentally cut the tip of his finger so it bled poor little guy, he cried and got so scared. It was bleeding pretty bad but I put two bandaids on it and he has mellowed out- is now okay in his swing. I felt so bad. It is so sad to see one's Lo hurt. I know it is a common occurance- but I learned that i cannot cut his fingernails when he is at all wiggly. I felt really bad. It wasn't a really super bad cut or anything but everything seems big to me when it is to my baby, y'know?
I did that when DS was like 6 days old and I cried like, well, a baby! I was so distraught. But he was totally fine after nursing. It is hell though! My bad mama trick to cutting nails is to put August in front of the TV for the 5 minutes it takes to do it. He is tooooo wiggly otherwise, and if I don't he scratches his face and my chest to bits! I can never get the nail biting thing to work for me...dull teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Could baby be going through a nursing strike? My supply seems fine, she just only wants to nurse every when she is about to nap. Is that normal? She refuses to nurse sitting on the couch. Could it be that she is distracted?
I'm guessing that she's just distracted. August is distracted by EVERYTHING when I'm nursing now! If I'm reading, he'll pull off, roll over and start swatting at my book. If I've got the remote he'll pull off, roll over and try to grab that. Goober! Basically he'll nurse if I'm watching TV and not moving (not using the remote).

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#195 of 195 Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Link to new thread: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1240071

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page