Puree question: how do I . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
encourage him to NOT blow raspberries during a feeding?

DS does some purees, some "whole" foods. Obviously, with the whole foods, he is not doing the raspberries, these are nearly all hard/firm foods that he just gnaws on. Like carrot sticks and asparagus.

I do the purees because he likes the texture of them, usually. But the boy loves to raspberry. Half of his vocalizations involve a raspberry. He wakes up doing them and will continue for nearly an hour. He really really enjoys it for some reason, and has for over a month I think. It is not getting old. But he has started raspberry-ing during feedings. (only things he likes, things he doesn't like, i.e. squash, he acts like he is gagging on and coughs back out, open-mouthed) He finds this whole thing very entertaining, and while, yes it is (it is really funny actually) how do I get him to just eat?

I have tried saying NO but that doesn't work. witholding until he stops doesn't seem to, because once he does and I offer the spoon, he starts again as soon as the spoon is halfway in his mouth. I don't feed him purees every day (maybe 3 times a week?). I started because he was so interested in our own food, and he's sitting up well, and didn't like anything other than creamier things I offered to him.

I am wondering if I should stop the purees for now, or if any of you have experience with this sort of thing, how long it lasted, or how to get it to stop.

sorry such a long post!

FWIW, he doesn't raspberry at miso soup at all. He loves that, and will drink as much as I'm willing to give him.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

I don't know if I have much to offer, other than saying we've been there too. Our DD, now 9.5 months, used to blow raspberries more during feeding, which of course made a mess. She doesn't as much anymore, but she still does occasionally. She would do the same thing when she woke up too, talk and blow raspberries. I just think it's funny (without the food of course). Good luck!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

it is good to know at least someone has been there. I think I may just give up on the jars for a bit. I know he doesn't need them, really, and see where we are in a few weeks or a month and try again.

without the food it is very funny!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 PM

My son loves doing that too.

You are right, it is funny, just not so funny when you get food all over. LOL

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 AM
tzs

i dunno.
my babe had her raspberry phase and did it with a mouthful of beet soup. ugh!
now if i hear a raspberry it's her signal that she's tired. weird.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 AM

My daughter loves to do the same thing. It really just depends on her mood. For about 2-3 weeks she was doing raspberries and blowing spit bubbles like crazy. She's not been doing them much lately so she must have gotten bored of that trick. ;-) Sometimes she'd blow the food everywhere when I fed her, sometimes not. She hasn't done it at all for the last week or so...I'm hoping it's a thing of the past? Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but I don't miss that silly little trick! :P

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

User Tag List