homemade popsicles for 7-8 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in nutrition, but anyways, it's here.

I'd like to make some popsicles for my 7.5 month old, now that the weather is getting hot. I think it'd help her with her teething too. But is she still too young?
I was thinking of just pureing peaches with yogourt, or something like that. Anyone have a good recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM

i haven't done this, but i read somewhere about someone making breastmilk popsicles. its on my to do list, lol. i have 7.5-er too!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM

In our house we cut a perfectly ripe banana in half, stick a popsicle stick in it and freeze it. The children call it banana ice cream. Let me not forget to mention that bananas are the perfect first baby food (along with avocados.) You could also take overripe bananas and puree them and then pour them into whatever mold you like and then freeze them. I would tend to not add juice or dairy especially cause your baby is so young.

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM

We do breastmilk popcicles for teething and DS loves it.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM

We have made lots of breastmilk popsicles, to the delight of all my kids. You can make popsicles out of pureed fruit, too. My kids love watermelon popsicles. When we have a glut of watermelon in the summer, we throw it in the blender and puree it, and then pour it into popsicle molds. Applesauce works well, too, and would be a great option for a baby. You could also make "creamsicles" by mixing the fruit with breastmilk.

My babies started to enjoy breastmilk popsicles before they even started solids, as soon as they could sit with support. They loved it. They never really ATE much of it-- a lot wound up in hair and on clothing. But it was tons of fun. Put the high chair outside in the yard, to minimize cleanup.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 PM

ok so what keeps a chunk from sliding down their throat and them chocking?? Sorry to be the bummer here but that was my initial thought. I would love to give her a popsicle but thought there was no way it could be safe.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
ok so what keeps a chunk from sliding down their throat and them chocking?? Sorry to be the bummer here but that was my initial thought. I would love to give her a popsicle but thought there was no way it could be safe.
You're not a bummer at all...this is one of my worries!

I loved that post about bananas and avocadoes, as these are the only 2 foods she'll eat (well, yesterday, we had some success with cauliflower, so there's hope )

I had heard of breastmilk popsicles, but though it would be super messy. I guess it is and that's the fun!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Even if a pieces goes down, though, if you puree ahead of time, the pieces will melt quickly enough that it won't clog the trachea, won't it? My kids gagged sometimes, but never really choked.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM

i have one of those chew bags with the handles. can't think of the name right now. it's got a mesh bag with a handle that unscrews. i pop in a frozen chunk of puree, screw on the lid, and my daughter goes to town gnawing on it. it's great and i don't have to worry about her choking!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Even if a pieces goes down, though, if you puree ahead of time, the pieces will melt quickly enough that it won't clog the trachea, won't it? My kids gagged sometimes, but never really choked.
I know adults have choked and died on ice cubes...so I am assuming that puree might not melt fast enough.

I like the mesh bag idea...I have one of those and might try that with my LO!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM

I've made pops with yogurt or coconut milk plus pureed fruit and it doesn't have that hard icy texture you're thinking of. I think it would be pretty hard to choke on because it kind of just falls apart in your mouth.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Try putting the cubes of breast milk or pops in a mesh feeder:

photo: http://tinyurl.com/2cfzyzz
Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Yeah, we use mesh feeders. Bananas are a *real* pain to clean out of them, but we bought a bag of frozen peach slices (nothing added, just peaches!) and those worked GREAT. I also think the purees might be nice in them, pears especially.

Heck, I've been eyeing up these purees and thinking that later on I'll have to remember to do this for smoothies of my own!

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM

My son was that age his first summer (born October 3rd) and we did "momsicles". I took an ice cube tray, poured in some breastmilk and put a pacifier in it (the only use we had for them since ds never took one). When frozen pop them out and let ds go to town. No fear of him joking/gagging on a stick since he just held onto the pacifier. There was never a time where pieces broke off that ds could have choked on, I don't know if that's luck or something else but I always was right next to him so no biggie.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomatuttle View Post
i have one of those chew bags with the handles. can't think of the name right now. it's got a mesh bag with a handle that unscrews. i pop in a frozen chunk of puree, screw on the lid, and my daughter goes to town gnawing on it. it's great and i don't have to worry about her choking!
We do this. I freeze my son's favorite fruits, he especially loves banana apple puree combo and he freaks out!

User Tag List