Would you worry about this? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do I reschedule the visit?
Yes - she's sick and will get the baby sick. 15 26.32%
No - germs are good and she's probably not contagious anyway 37 64.91%
Other - just because there has to be an other 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My father and his wife were supposed to come down tomorrow to meet the baby (8 mos). He emailed me today to say that she just got back from a (international) trip on Wednesday and has a bit of a cold that she's getting over. He indicated that she's on the recovery end, but wanted to know whether we wanted to reschedule.

My feeling is that she's probably no longer contagious, and that I'm not that concerned about exposing him to germs to begin with... should I be concerned?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM

I say reschedule just because I see no reason to take a chance with that.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM

At 8 days, or maybe 8 weeks, I'd hesitate, but unless she's hacking and sneezing all over the place, I'd be okay with it.

In a few more months, as your little one gets more mobile, he'll probably lick the underside of a shoe or suck on somebody's filthy cell phone (well, if he's anything like my kids, that is!).

Maybe just ask that everyone wash up when they come in and keep the hand sanitizer handy in case it's needed. But you probably encounter nastier germs at the grocery store than anything she's carrying.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM

Maybe I'm paranoid but if it wouldn't be that inconvienent to reschedule,(as in they live fairly close by) that's what I would do. I have a 5 month old and while I try not to be too overly concerned about germs that are common to the area that we live and that I myself have been exposed to in my life, (therefore passing on some immunity through my milk) I would worry about the international flight. What if it's not just a common cold? And the fact that your Dad was concerned enough to ask if you wanted to cancel kind of worries me.
But it would definetly depend on the circumstances. If they live far away and won't be able to visit for a long time, I would probably allow the visit and just be the handwashing police. Hope this helps.

A slightly Bookish wife to my best friend and mama to little miss goo 12/23/09
#5 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 AM

Because it is after a flight I would probably be a little concerned but I'm sure she will be careful about washing hands and not coughing around him, especially since he called to ask if it was ok. she could have been the one who asked him to call and check with you.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me and I'm pretty nonchalant about germs.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#7 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't worry. At 8wks, yeah, I'd be a bit more worried, but 8 months is really pretty much past the age of absolute freak out ya know? I mean, your kids probably crawling around and eating *way* nastier stuff than whatever typical cold she's got.

Where were they? Europe? If they were in like, some wierd 3rd world country doing aid/missionary work in africa/asia/pacific/s america I might wonder a smidge more... But assuming its typical europe/australia/japan/china/etc type trip it wouldn't phase me in the least Good luck!!
#8 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't worry about that kind of thing. If she had a nasty flu or something terrible I'd reschedule, but not for a cold.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#9 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 PM

At 8 months, no I wouldn't reschedule. I might gently request that she wash her hands frequently.
But I wouldn't be pushy even with that.

I would be more protective for a newborn, obviously. I would also worry more about someone sick with something more serious, or with stomach bugs, since I HATE dealing with kids and diarrhea. But for a simple cold, I don't think I'd change my plans at all. Baby is just as likely to catch a cold from a stranger at the grocery store, and I can't rearrange my life around that possibility. Colds are a part of being human.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM

As long as it is just a cold (no nasty cough or anything), I wouldn't worry about it. At 8 months your LO is no longer an obligate nasal breather and colds are going to happen. With a newborn, I would definitely encourage the rescheduling.

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#11 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, and gent.

I went ahead and told him that so long as she's feeling on the road to recovery and he's not feeling like he's coming down with it then they can come on down, but that I'll be asking them to wash their hands.

She was in Central America, I don't know how long her trip was, but she was probably visiting her mother. This is their first chance to meet the baby, and if we were to reschedule, our next open weekend is 5 weeks from now, so it's not a simple reschedule. (This is the first time I'll have seen them in over 3 years.)

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Thank you ladies, and gent.

I went ahead and told him that so long as she's feeling on the road to recovery and he's not feeling like he's coming down with it then they can come on down, but that I'll be asking them to wash their hands.

She was in Central America, I don't know how long her trip was, but she was probably visiting her mother. This is their first chance to meet the baby, and if we were to reschedule, our next open weekend is 5 weeks from now, so it's not a simple reschedule. (This is the first time I'll have seen them in over 3 years.)
In this case I would certainly not reschedule. Have fun!
#13 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Nah, the chances are it's probably nothing. It was nice of them to ask, though

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#14 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me and I'm pretty nonchalant about germs.
same here. i haven't worried about it at all and Panda hasn't been sick yet at almost 5 months old.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#15 of 16 Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post

Where were they? Europe? If they were in like, some wierd 3rd world country doing aid/missionary work in africa/asia/pacific/s america I might wonder a smidge more... But assuming its typical europe/australia/japan/china/etc type trip it wouldn't phase me in the least Good luck!!
on this: wasn't the recent mumps outbreak here imported straight from europe? i had a couple friends in nyc who got it and while in most cases of illness i'd rather have us exposed....mumps is one of the ones i don't want to mess around with (sterility in boys doesn't sound like fun.)

in general i like germs. i'm a big fan of my babe licking all the shopping carts she can wrap her mouth around. an international flight, i'd be wary of but probably not what you are describing.

enjoy your visit!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#16 of 16 Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM

See tzs and thats where we differ I have boys and I wouldn't care in the least if they got exposed... when I read about mumps while researching vaxes, it was a pretty much non-issue. The incidence of true sterility was like nill - it did occur sometimes but almost never in both testes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page