What are the first few weeks like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't remember, since it was 6 years ago, and I'm having anxiety about our 3rd baby coming this fall. I think hearing the reality will help me remember and know what to expect. So tell me the good, the bad, and the downright ugly about your first few weeks with your baby...especially if you have older kids too, like i will.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
For me, it was exhausting trying to recover physically from the delivery while not being able to sleep for more than 2 consecutive hours between feedings.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm in the first few weeks so far...and I'm exhausted, but the second time around for me has been easier since I already knew what I was getting into. BFing has been a snap, I'm not as nervous about the regular day to day things, and my older son who is 4 is such a huge help and is an amazing kid.
I think it can be good! (knock on wood it stays that way)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 PM

The first 2 weeks with #2 were easy (except for breastfeeding issues caused by tongue tie). DS slept a lot, pretty much anywhere.

Weeks 2-6 got progressively harder. Lots of unexplained fussiness. We walked him outside for hours because that's the only place he'd calm down.

But week 6 was very much the peak of fussiness. At week 7, things were significantly better. And it's gotten easier each week.

Now, at 10 weeks, I feel like I know what he needs and when.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm a first time mom so my first couple weeks may not mean much to a professional like you

My dd is almost eight weeks and I never believed all the mamas who told me that the crazy beginning (esp with breastfeeding) would be a blur. The first couple of weeks I was sad (really missed being pregnant for some reason) and didn't know what to do when my baby fussed. I thought all my experience with kids and babies would make me a magician but it didn't; I had never had a newborn of my own!

I also felt very isolated and claustrophobic in the house and tied down to near constant feedings. I hated to admit it but I missed my old life, snuggling with my husband, not feeling so incompetent...and I lived in fear that I would always feel this way. I would never have believed that I could so quickly turn into someone who loves being a mom and loves her baby more than anything in the world

Luckily I ran on pure adrenaline for awhile and didn't feel exhausted until the past couple of weeks. My mom did a lot for me during the day in the beginning and hubby fed once a night. We were both in survival mode and trying to find out what made the little one tick.

Another thing that made our life easier was swaddling. I kinda thought she hated swaddling, but we now do the five Ss (swaddling, shushing, swinging, sucking---now I forget the fifth!) religiously when she crabs and never have to deal with more than three or four minutes of screaming. We DIDN'T do that the first few weeks (even though I'd read Dr. Karp's book) but once we started it was life changing.

That's my first couple of weeks. Glad I got it under my belt so the next one isn't such a shock!!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 AM

This may sound gross, but the constant stream of body fluids. Seriously. This, for some reason, is what stands out the most to me about the "real deal" of the first few weeks. You are leaking from your eyes because you cry for no reason sometimes or because you're out of ideas and exhausted, your hooha is also crying, which requires maintenance, you're spraying milk everywhere, even in your own eyeball by accident sometimes, and your baby leaks from its little bits and also spits up everywhere. Wowzahs!!

I had a somewhat rocky recovery, and just sitting up was really painful and difficult, especially middle of the night feedings until I mastered the side nursing later on.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
This may sound gross, but the constant stream of body fluids. Seriously. This, for some reason, is what stands out the most to me about the "real deal" of the first few weeks. You are leaking from your eyes because you cry for no reason sometimes or because you're out of ideas and exhausted, your hooha is also crying, which requires maintenance, you're spraying milk everywhere, even in your own eyeball by accident sometimes, and your baby leaks from its little bits and also spits up everywhere. Wowzahs!!
This made me LOL. Thanks.

What she said! And most of it just becomes a blur. I was fortunate to have a baby that slept all the time, overnight from day one I was getting 3-5 hour stretches at night and that never stopped (and has gone to even longer stretches now) which is just amazing. I decided to encapsulate my placenta and I truly think it helped with my emotional state. I did not have one weepy/cry episode over anything out of the ordinary. I cried once at a sappy commercial and that. is. it. I'm still amazed at that and I had my wits about me...now not as much

Mama to three

User Tag List