CIO in carseat heartbreak... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-19-2004, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IT'S NOT CIO!!!

IMO, CIO is letting your child cry without you being there comforting. Let's face it, babies cry. I know I held my son helplessly many times while he was crying... offering the boob, walking him around, changing his diaper - NOTHING would settle him. This is NOT CIO! You are doing the best you can to try to comfort your little one and that's what counts.

I have bf'ed my baby in the backseat of the car by leaning over him - I've got a screamer too. It's gotten better over the last couple months as he's now 9 months but it was brutal for the first 6 months or so. I couldn't breastfeed him in the minivan unfortunately so we would either pull over and breastfeed him or drive fast to try to get there sooner (plus he seemed to be calmer when the car was moving faster - go figure! : ). I found that it got much better when he got to the age that he could play with toys. We got him a bunch of soft toys and it seemed to help a little. He also seemed to like having a mirror up...

- It WILL get better soon, I promise!

Nada
#32 of 35 Old 03-19-2004, 11:15 AM

I don't know about you guys, but as soon as ds was big and old enough (20 lb, 1 year) to sit forward, all crying in the car stopped. It had gotten a lot better even before that. But when the are lying back there, can't see you or anything else it's so hard. I wonder if I had positioned a mirror so babe could see me if things would have been easier in early months.
#33 of 35 Old 03-19-2004, 01:41 PM

When we switched from an infant seat to a combo seat, the combo seat was so huge in comparison but she could see out the windows and that seemed to help. Also that 20 pound mark passed very quickly and I agree it makes a difference in how they handle the car.

My husband said he began thinking of the pedals in the automatic we had at that time as "crying" (brake) and "quiet" (accelerator).
#34 of 35 Old 03-19-2004, 04:49 PM

My DS was a carseat hater, also. The first time we put him in that thing, I felt more guilty than I ever had about ANYTHING. It was bad. He would scream until he turned purple.
Then I discovered there are hanging toy things that clip onto carseats (and strollers actually). HEAVEN SENT, I tell you. Too bad it took me 4 months to find them.
I dreaded going in the car w/him. But now he's getting better...at 7 months old, he HAS to have his froggie (The thing is as big as him!).

Whatever works!!
#35 of 35 Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 PM

I have my oldest who didn't mind his carseat at all. The middle one was high needs and hated the carseat, so after trying to entertain her with my oldest and with me, I would lean over her carseat and nurse her and she would either fall asleep or just be at peace for the rest of the trip in the carseat. I have needed to do this again with our latest, since he too is high needs and has health problems. So when all else would fail for you, just lean over the carseat and nurse her, it will do both of you good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page